• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Todays school aged kids get gentle grades...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya hafta consider the weakest link. A 6th grade education or a corrupt buncha teachers...... which aren't much above a 6th grade level, either.

Now, for those who take offense to these statements, read again...... I did not say all. I said a buncha teachers.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Education is more than just going to school. Most of it starts at home. Teaching kids to be polite, respectful and to work hard is more important than what anything a book can teach. Most of us would prefer to train someone that will show up each day and be respectful than someone with a degree who calls in and is a jerk.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Children have an innate belief that the world is just and peaceful. Seeing them realize it isn't is one of the most heartbreaking aspects of parenting. The loss of self-awareness is due to the loudest yelling of the illiterate. Training costs between $300-$700. So, it makes sense that some parents would want to give their kids every chance to hold onto that. I completely get that as a mom. I wish to safeguard them. However, some of my elder nieces and nephews genuinely struggle with day-to-day living issues since their parents never forced a task upon them.

According to your profile, you shouldn't be here. What do you do, besides stir up trouble ?? How do you fit into a sign forum ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Education is more than just going to school. Most of it starts at home. Teaching kids to be polite, respectful and to work hard is more important than what anything a book can teach. Most of us would prefer to train someone that will show up each day and be respectful than someone with a degree who calls in and is a jerk.
when I see shithead kids, I see shithead parents.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
When I was in HS this was for advanced placement exclusively. If you had AP bio, and you did well, but not great, you got a B, which was a 4, and doing great scored you an A, 5. When they totalled you GPA, all of your regular classes an A counted as a 4, but for advanced classes an A was a 5, allowing folks to pass a 4.0 GPA.
I seldomly got A's in AP classes, the ones I did were too easy, so I ended up with something like a 4.2 GPA, but the really smart folks walked out with 4.75 or so. It's supposed to be a college level class, so getting a B while still in HS is nothing to be ashamed about, but getting an A in one deserves some recognition.
I think I understand...

In the world you describe, a 4.0 GPA is like a 5.0 GPA back in my day (straight As, not a single B or lower, ever, not even one B+). Now you can get a B in an AP class, but still report a 4.0 GPA (a perfect GPA), and it is even possible to get a better than perfect (?!) GPA if you get As in AP classes.

It's just like being a valedictorian. In my graduating class of over 700, there was one valedictorian. Now there are dozens in a class that large. I suppose that helps with getting into the most competitive colleges, and looks good on a resume, but this is a dilution of the standards that I grew up with. Back in the day, a family had to pony up for private prep school to ensure the straight As needed to get into the best colleges. I guess this new grading standard is a good thing, as it takes away the class advantage and tolerates mediocracy, giving smart kids from poor families a better chance. Progress of sorts, I guess, in the long run.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You are assuming that that is how everyone does it.

Even though my dad hadn't been religious since he was 7 yrs old, he had the family go to church and I had asked why did he do that, when according to him, he hadn't believed in the church since he was so young. He said, that they (he and my mom) wanted my sister and I to make our own decision on rather or not we believed in it or not.

That's just one example as well.

So no, while that may be the case for some, that isn't the case for everyone.

Myself Equine Nutrition/Reproduction and Ag Economics (double major). However, how many courses that I had taken and how long I had been in the system, I could technically have a few other degrees in there. My college experience was like a blackhole with regard to time spent.

My wife, my parents, my sister, my niece and both grandmothers went to college (only one grandmother graduated though). My wife graduated Summa Cum Laude with many many chords from honor societies. 2 of the people on the list have JDs and one has an LLM. A computer science degree, biology in there. So we aren't just talking liberal arts degrees.

My family has been thru the system.

This depends. In quite a few of the classes it was about spitting back exactly what the teacher wanted. It was a game, remember X and spit it back at the appropriate time. Now that depended on the class in question. I had some that wanted you to extrapolate what you learned and apply it, but that wasn't as many as one would think.

I had one biology professor that had a competition with another professor as to who could give the hardest test to get the lowest score. The man was handing out 30/40 pt curves.

As to monetary incentive. There is one. That's attached to the salary of the job that the graduate is striving to get when they get out of college.

And you have some politicians clamoring for free education for everyone. Imagine what that will do to the laziness factor.
It's worth noting the students with liberal arts dgrees fare better (almost $200,00 in lifetime earnings on average) than those with any other degree. According to this study ( https://1gyhoq479ufd3yna29x7ubjn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Liberal-Arts-ROI.pdf ), career earnings of liberal arts college graduates were higher than those of counterparts who went to engineering and technology-focused schools as well as those who earned degrees from four-year business and management schools.

It is a mistake to think that a liberal arts education has less value or is easier to obtain than other degrees. A liberal arts degree is a significant achivement and prepares the student not only for a successful career but in many other aspects of their adult life.

JamesLam

When the school's computer science class taught the kids how to go online and set up an account (Ebay account, Amazon account, Etsy account, FB account, Tik Tok account, Myspace account, etc..) I conceded that we were doomed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's worth noting the students with liberal arts dgrees fare better (almost $200,00 in lifetime earnings on average) than those with any other degree. According to this study ( https://1gyhoq479ufd3yna29x7ubjn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Liberal-Arts-ROI.pdf ), career earnings of liberal arts college graduates were higher than those of counterparts who went to engineering and technology-focused schools as well as those who earned degrees from four-year business and management schools.

It is a mistake to think that a liberal arts education has less value or is easier to obtain than other degrees. A liberal arts degree is a significant achivement and prepares the student not only for a successful career but in many other aspects of their adult life.

Well, math evidently wasn't in your scope of studies, huh ?? What is that number ??

Notarealsignguy

I think I understand...

In the world you describe, a 4.0 GPA is like a 5.0 GPA back in my day (straight As, not a single B or lower, ever, not even one B+). Now you can get a B in an AP class, but still report a 4.0 GPA (a perfect GPA), and it is even possible to get a better than perfect (?!) GPA if you get As in AP classes.

It's just like being a valedictorian. In my graduating class of over 700, there was one valedictorian. Now there are dozens in a class that large. I suppose that helps with getting into the most competitive colleges, and looks good on a resume, but this is a dilution of the standards that I grew up with. Back in the day, a family had to pony up for private prep school to ensure the straight As needed to get into the best colleges. I guess this new grading standard is a good thing, as it takes away the class advantage and tolerates mediocracy, giving smart kids from poor families a better chance. Progress of sorts, I guess, in the long run.
No, it's called a weighted GPA which accounts for the level of class you are in. An A in AP algebra is not the same as an A in remedial math. It has been like this for as long as I remember. If there is more than one valedictorian, which is not and has never been uncommon, then they earned it. It is also based on weighted GPA as are college admissions.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Fun fact, the majority of the globe uses , in place of . for decimal indication. In this map, blue represents period, light green represents comma, dark green allows for both, and red is using the arabic decimal separator, which looks like an apostrophe on the baseline of text.
So his comment makes plenty of sense, since liberal arts degrees are pretty much worthless, but still they evidently make almost $200.00 more in lifetime earnings than non grads...
View attachment 162078
Gray means the country is so poor they don't have time to worry about things like that?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fun fact, the majority of the globe uses , in place of . for decimal indication. In this map, blue represents period, light green represents comma, dark green allows for both, and red is using the arabic decimal separator, which looks like an apostrophe on the baseline of text.
So his comment makes plenty of sense, since liberal arts degrees are pretty much worthless, but still they evidently make almost $200.00 more in lifetime earnings than non grads...
View attachment 162078

Yeah, but this is where collins lives and uses what the rest of us use.........................

collins house.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Exactly this. That's why the C I got in Calculus didn't hurt my gpa very much. In all honesty though, the way the ap class is designed, ie; to outright replace a college course and give credit for it, the class grade for the entire year should be just the score on the ap exam. In my science class, I think only half passed the exam, yet out of 120 students, only 2 or 3 got graded below a C on their report cards. It makes for inflated grades without the actual benefit of the course when it's all said and done.
I will say the AP class vs the regular class were night and day. I swapped from regular bio to ap midway through the year. I remember learning about the parts of the cell (you know, mitochondria is the power house of the cell!) from coach Cooper, via a piece of paper he called the study guide, which had facts listed on it, with one blank to fill in. This same piece of paper was later turned into the test, with different words omitted. Oh, and as long as you had turned in your study guide, he handed those back out on test day for you to use during the test. Anyway, I hardly believed anything I learned in that semester, terrified it was just the ramblings of a coach who was past his prime, and first day of the ap class the teacher picks on me, and asks what mitochondria's role in the cell was. I very sheepishly answered 'the power house of the cell', and suddenly got validation on literally one piece of info I gathered in the previous classroom. We'd spent 2 weeks on the parts of the cell, ap spent 2 weeks on a part of the cell.

Hard to say, grey countries don't have an established banking industry do they?
I started in IB but dropped it after 2 years and took dual enrollment instead. Very few of my friends (who were mostly smarter than me) passed any of the IB tests so it was pretty much useless. I was 1 semester short of my AA when I graduated and they had to start from scratch. If it wasn't for that and a good friend of mine pushing me, I doubt that I would have went to college.

RabidOne

No, that blatantly untrue. Math Science and engineering make more. Liberal arts grads just aren't as bad off as perhaps the general consensus.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
View attachment 162078
The red countries it's illegal for women to do math. Wonder how they treat the other genders....

kcollinsdesign

Old member
No, that blatantly untrue. Math Science and engineering make more. Liberal arts grads just aren't as bad off as perhaps the general consensus.
"Liberal Arts" is a shortened version of "Liberal Arts and Sciences." I don't recommend you go to college and just read philosophy and English literature; most quality schools will require a range of courses including math and science.

Read the Georgetown study and it will make more sense.