• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Todays school aged kids get gentle grades...

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I've taken the debate private. I apologize for bothering anyone. I always appreciate a good healthy debate. Seeking to understand is always where my heart it.

Johnny Best

Geneva, I sent my kids to public schools. And from my observations the biggest problem was smart common sense teachers. From administration jobs on down the line. They always tell you they are overwhelmed with everything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have no problem with you two battling it out, but that bird guy is upset and we need to keep our membership happy at all costs. I don't remember his name...... sorry.

edit: I think ya just need to start a debate club category and take it there for the rest of us to watch and read. I enjoy watching how things move around and get misunderstood and burn to the ground.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Geneva, I sent my kids to public schools. And from my observations the biggest problem was smart common sense teachers. From administration jobs on down the line. They always tell you they are overwhelmed with everything.
I used to tell people that I could work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and still not be done with my job. We were way overworked and controlled. They would give us lesson plans to follow and then tell us we had to write the same lesson plans. (micromanaging).
If they wanted a teacher out of the classroom they promoted them.
My kids went to an upper middle class school and I taught in a school in poverty. There was a huge desparity.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
There is nothing more disappointing than being hungry and seeing the same damn sandwich that you have had everyday for the past month. Gonna sneak out soon, I'll make sure I come back and tell everyone what I ate for lunch. Want a picture too?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I went to college, they didn't have NO Stinkin' Degrees. They just had rocks with carvings on it.

carved in stone.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
My sons latest assignment consisted of completing a "Get to Know Me" wheel. The wheels were not shared with the class and you have the option of sharing in your talking circle what you want others to know about you - but you have to hand it into the teacher so they can read it.

You have to choose 12/15 things. Isn't there laws against having to reveal some of this stuff? IDK, I have a problem with this being required. It's none of the teachers business what my economic status or disabilities or race or national origin or beliefs or ethnicity my kid is.

Values
Race
Ethnicity
Abilities
Disabilities
Beliefs
First language
National Origin
Hobbies
Physical Features
Socio-Economic status
Talents
Other

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That looks like more than a schoolroom project. You can't even ask 1/2 those things in order to hire someone. It's against the law.

I'd fill in "other" and say.... to learn what I can at this here school, dagnabbit. And keep your nose outta MY background. Cripes, they can't even ask that sh!t in a test, but they do.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There is nothing more disappointing than being hungry and seeing the same damn sandwich that you have had everyday for the past month. Gonna sneak out soon, I'll make sure I come back and tell everyone what I ate for lunch. Want a picture too?
If you're going to Arby's, and I know you are. Pick me up a Roast Beef Gyro.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
My sons latest assignment consisted of completing a "Get to Know Me" wheel. The wheels were not shared with the class and you have the option of sharing in your talking circle what you want others to know about you - but you have to hand it into the teacher so they can read it.

You have to choose 12/15 things. Isn't there laws against having to reveal some of this stuff? IDK, I have a problem with this being required. It's none of the teachers business what my economic status or disabilities or race or national origin or beliefs or ethnicity my kid is.

Values
Race
Ethnicity
Abilities
Disabilities
Beliefs
First language
National Origin
Hobbies
Physical Features
Socio-Economic status
Talents
Other
It sounds to me like the teacher wants to make sure they address each student correctly (if they prefer he him she her prnouns, and they want to make sure that they give the students assignments based on what they can handle work wise. Maybe theres another assignment that will go with it at some point.
But who knows these days. I've been out since 2018

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now, just wait geneva.............. Why would they wanna know your ethnicity ?? What has that got to do with teaching someone, other than a salamander ??

Teachers need to learn the abilities and disabilities without asking someone to define themselves.
Your beliefs have NOTHING to do with learning. They all get treated exactly the same. No preferential treatment based upon someone's habits.
In this country, as long as you speak and listen in English, that's all a teacher needs to know.
Same with national origin. Has nothing to do with learning.
Who gives a rat's butt about someone's hobbies in math classes, psych class or english lit ??
I know it's hard to tell boys from girls or the other way around, but they all should be treated the same unless they're taking swimming lessons. If it's a health course.... just suck it up.
Physical features ?? You mean to tell me a teacher can't see if they have zits or freckles....... if they're right or left handed......... what color their hair is if it's not dyed ??
Some things a teacher just plain does not need to know. Not in secondary level teaching. Kids are coming n from all over the country and the world. It's none of their business. They got into school, now do YOUR job and teach.
If someone has a talent for certain things, that will become noticeable, if the teacher is observant.

Other than goals or other, those are the only ones I would answer.

That other crap is just being nosey or for political reasons.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The entire district is required to go through equity training so this is an exercise all kids are required to do. I think they are required to do 6 total lessons this school year. It's required by the state because we had an incident and this is what was agreed on with the superintendent.

Johnny Best

Most teachers are union and vote Democrat and push their foolish ideas into kids. I have no use for them. All 7 of my grandkids go to private school, they don't have to put up with the "underprivileged" humans.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Most teachers are union and vote Democrat and push their foolish ideas into kids. I have no use for them. All 7 of my grandkids go to private school, they don't have to put up with the "underprivileged" humans.
If my kids were young they would be going to private school.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a friend whose wife homeschooled their kids to keep 'em outta the schools for that very reason. They didn't want their kids brainwashed or picking up bad habits. Well, evidently his wife wasn't the brightest bulb around and they basically only got to a 5th grade level, but were like 15 & 16 years old when they quit. They had 7 kids. All but one turned out bad..... drug users and all kindsa problems. They had trouble blending in and had no people skills. What a shame.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's too bad about your friends kids. I wish there was some kind of safety net to catch these fallen kids and make sure they are up to par with the state standards. Maybe there is now? Not sure.

We found out during the covid shutdown that homeschooling wasn't for us. Too many incidents of bad parenting in the background of Zoom meetings.

Johnny Best

I think the only good thing on Public School is getting ready for the real world with the rest of the animals.
That high school shooter in Florida should have gotten the gallows today but some bleeding hearts figured otherwise.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My daughter is in a hybrid school. They are in class Tuesday and Thursday and homeschooled the other three days. That way it's not 100% on my wife to teach her. The school is Christian and they wear uniforms... And on top of that it's affordable. We think we have the best fit for our family. No state tests, no attendance policing. It's nice that it leaves us Friday and Monday incase we want to travel over a weekend which we do a lot.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My daughter is in a hybrid school. They are in class Tuesday and Thursday and homeschooled the other three days. That way it's not 100% on my wife to teach her. The school is Christian and they wear uniforms... And on top of that it's affordable. We think we have the best fit for our family. No state tests, no attendance policing. It's nice that it leaves us Friday and Monday incase we want to travel over a weekend which we do a lot.
That sounds perfect! If your wife struggles with teaching a subject or the kids do with learning, they still have the teachers to fall back on. And there's still structure with attending school and social interaction. I always thought the social interaction part was the biggest thing homeschooled kids lack. This is a great model, glad you shared!