• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Todays school aged kids get gentle grades...

RabidOne

and thereby proving MY point to Notarealsignguy . My degree is in psychology and a bunch of history classes.. My original intention was to get a masters and counsel. (But life got in the way, I got married and had kids and took a different path after college. I did not get a high paying job. I was a drug counselor in a methadone clinic taking people's urine samples and asking if they had goten a job yet. I made $8 an hour. I went on to work for aetna insurance corp. I moved up the corporate ladder there, but none of my bosses had degrees. Go figure.

But, let me tell you, I've used my degree a whole bunch in my personal life (the running joke is that i have a BS in psychology to screw with people). But seriously, it's about what's happening in the world and the propaganda. It's like I'm reading several of my text books again.
The difference being you did have a plan. You wanted to be a counsellor.
Not at all saying don't go to school and take psychology and history. But if your "plan" doing that is to come out of school and get a rich after taking those course, well you might need to rethink your plan.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
What proves your point? Because people that had no plan or path before college come out and still have no plan or path? In what way does that make college a bad move? Before they had limited choices and after they have a few more choices but still self limited. I still don't get your point. You said yourself that your life choices got in the way, it had nothing to do with whatever you did in college.
WELL, your point was that getting a degree was enough. Remember that conversation? Well, getting a degree ISN'T enough. That's my point.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
The difference being you did have a plan. You wanted to be a counsellor.
Not at all saying don't go to school and take psychology and history. But if your "plan" doing that is to come out of school and get a rich after taking those course, well you might need to rethink your plan.
I never said I wanted to get rich after college. I wanted a decent wage. But the argument that going to college and getting a degree guarantees you a comfortable place in life might have once been applicable isn't anymore.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Y'all are getting to a scary point. I've seen interviews with college kids for years and some of them have no idea what the American Civil War was, let alone what about. Many have no idea who the last president was or the last handful of presidents. Many of them have no idea when this country was founded and you want them to do simple math, in their head, let alone calculations and sh!t ?? Many of them read at a third grade level and don't know how to sound out words. Folks, this is college kids. There are differences across the board in education and how it's taught, but we are catering to really dumb f*cks out there these days on ALL levels. Look around your neighborhood or go outside your safe living areas and what do you see ?? Years ago, the majority of home;ss were old bums and people on skid row. Not anymore. Is that the colleges' fault ?? Is that the teachers' fault ?? Is that the government's fault ??

Oh Geneva........ I was told by a very good friend of mine about 50 years ago who was the head psychologist at a hospital, that there are no real good psychologists out there. They're all people who needed lotsa help and saw how easy it was, so they pursued it and become one, too. He used to say, cripes, just look at me and how f*cked I am. I'm just good at covering it up and now know all the right questions and answers.
Yea, we seriously need some mental health and psychology overhauling these days. People have exploited human behavior.

I agree with your friend.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
WELL, your point was that getting a degree was enough. Remember that conversation? Well, getting a degree ISN'T enough. That's my point.
I have never said that in my life and I'll give you 5 bucks if you can show me where I said that a college degree is enough. I spent my free time in college working in the field that I wanted to have a career in. Even at 18 I knew that was the only way to get where I wanted to go and college alone would not get me there.

Notarealsignguy

I never said I wanted to get rich after college. I wanted a decent wage. But the argument that going to college and getting a degree guarantees you a comfortable place in life might have once been applicable isn't anymore.
It was never applicable, ever. Everybody today thinks that they deserve more than their skills, experience and education dictate. School or no school. It has nothing to do with nothing, it's a sign of the times. It's like you just crawled out from under a rock with some sort of epiphany that the rest of the world has known about for 20 years. Fact is, young inexperienced people in general have ALWAYS thought they should be afforded more than they are worth. The way I see it is that it is infecting the older and mid life crowd more than it used to. They are just as quick if not quicker to tell you how great they are while underperforming and asking for more and more.
Lets call a spade a spade here, you sound like you didn't get what you wanted "I wanted a decent wage" and now you are bitter and want to blame everything except yourself. Lets be honest.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
My son joined up and the Army is paying for his online degree. If he sticks with it he will have a degree & be debt free by the time his first contract is up. His study has nothing to do with his current Army job but that may change. Nothing in life is truly free so he will be getting an all-expenses paid extended stay in Europe shortly (much sooner than I had hoped).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm pretty sure most remedial college classes are 0 credit. They're prep classes. When I went to community college after the navy, they wanted to stick me in that class since I'd been 6 years out of high school. I could test out of it fortunately, but they wouldn't let me test out of the next class. They didn't give me any credit for the schooling I did in the navy. Some colleges would.

If everyone goes to college and gets a managerial job, who's going to do the actual work?
Illegal aliens

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
It was never applicable, ever. Everybody today thinks that they deserve more than their skills, experience and education dictate. School or no school. It has nothing to do with nothing, it's a sign of the times. It's like you just crawled out from under a rock with some sort of epiphany that the rest of the world has known about for 20 years. Fact is, young inexperienced people in general have ALWAYS thought they should be afforded more than they are worth. The way I see it is that it is infecting the older and mid life crowd more than it used to. They are just as quick if not quicker to tell you how great they are while underperforming and asking for more and more.
Lets call a spade a spade here, you sound like you didn't get what you wanted "I wanted a decent wage" and now you are bitter and want to blame everything except yourself. Lets be honest.
You make a lot of assumption. I tried to give you an inside view of the public education system. not an epiphany.
I'm realistic, not bitter. Most every job I was EVER SATISFIED in was the job that had to do with a focus of service, not money. Hence the drug counselor and the teacher (those two were my favorite jobs).
You couldn't be further from the truth. But that's ok. You've had to jump around what you said rather than admit that college has changed since you and I were there.

and if you knew my story, you would backtrack that last statement.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fight nicely, children. Ya both sound like third graders. Let's move onto the real problems. People coming here and not answering the way some other members think appropriate. That seems to be bothering other members.

Notarealsignguy

You make a lot of assumption. I tried to give you an inside view of the public education system. not an epiphany.
I'm realistic, not bitter. Most every job I was EVER SATISFIED in was the job that had to do with a focus of service, not money. Hence the drug counselor and the teacher (those two were my favorite jobs).
You couldn't be further from the truth. But that's ok. You've had to jump around what you said rather than admit that college has changed since you and I were there.

and if you knew my story, you would backtrack that last statement.
I'm still waiting for you to show me where I said a college degree is enough. You are the one with the assumptions and flip flopping. Everytime you chime in you tell everyone that you WERE a teacher, then bash education and now you're saying teaching was one of two of your favorite jobs. I'm going crosseyed here.

Notarealsignguy

Fight nicely, children. Ya both sound like third graders. Let's move onto the real problems. People coming here and not answering the way some other members think appropriate. That seems to be bothering other members.
Third grader on a fourth grade level. Get it right. I hope my wife didn't pack me a sandwich for lunch, I think I might have to sneak out of here for a cheeseburger later on.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The last place I worked it was required that you have a degree to get hired for basic office work. I had one in a non-related field so I got hired.

My son is graduating with a degree in high performance motor sports but is starting a landscape company :rolleyes:. My youngest...he's going to take a couple landscaping classes at the local college. I would rather have him have at least a one year degree in something but it's hard to tell young men what to do once they have their minds made up.

The college my son went to...oh boy. It's a great college but it's mostly mechanical type degrees (motor sports, tractor repair, etc.) and the drop out rate is high. The quality of students is "interesting". It was obvious to us after a few weeks that students assumed it was all fun and games with casually working on race cars and fun racing them on the weekends - not at all true. Once they realize there's actually learning involved, many kids drop out. The electrical classes were very difficult and my son needed to study every night and weekends to pass the exams. Most of the students were not interested in that part of it. It explains the high drop out rate and I'm not sure how they would be able to avoid it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to do it, but now that bird guy wants me to stop talking about food. Oh woe is me, what shall I do.................. ?????