• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Todays school aged kids get gentle grades...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
This wasn't always the case. It certainly wasn't the case when I was going thru school. Times change however.

There was a write up in a local paper from this year that a school was under fire due to a teaching method some students are in therapy due to suicidal thoughts. These were 7 yr olds I might add. There was some circulation around the local HS as well. Leaked emails from one of the teachers about seminars that the teachers were being sent to.

Edit: I re-read that report. Apparently, there is also a contract with an outside firm with helping integration of this type of "teachings" within the school system here. While this may not affect everyone's location, it does affect the schools in my county as it is a county wide program.
You do understand what anecdotal evidence is right? Cuz you use it a lot.
What you are saying goes back to what I said earlier. There is a problem with suicides and depression in this country, there is no debating this. So when someone tries to do something about it, there are always the arssholes that want to stop it. Maybe you don't like the program but maybe other people do? Maybe some children need this sort of intervention? If they don't, then this wont effect them or you. Why do you seem so keen on taking this away from someone that may benefit from it? Schools are pretty good about letting parents opt out of things, like sex ed. It's been a long time since I've had it but even back in the 80s, you had that choice. Its annoying that people have a choice to not participate in these things yet they feel they have to go further and demand that nobody should have it. Why?

WildWestDesigns

You do understand what anecdotal evidence is right? Cuz you use it a lot.
What you are saying goes back to what I said earlier. There is a problem with suicides and depression in this country, there is no debating this.

No one debated anything about this program existing. And to think that all suicides are caused by the same thing, no. I had a classmate that was suicidal when we were in HS, he committed suicide 10 yrs after we graduated. I knew another one that had already tried suicide that was two yrs younger then I. Yes it has always existed. Mental imbalance, bullying etc Not caused by teacher lesson plans though.

School learning curriculum should not be related to having been causing suicidal thoughts. The kids due to the teachings, hated their skin color and where they were born. Please explain the positivity of that? How is that a good thing? If it is let me know.

Schools are pretty good about letting parents opt out of things, like sex ed. It's been a long time since I've had it but even back in the 80s, you had that choice. Its annoying that people have a choice to not participate in these things yet they feel they have to go further and demand that nobody should have it. Why?
They didn't allow the parents to opt out in the instance that Texas was talking about. Parents didn't know about it.

Now, yes, I would have had less of a problem if they allowed parents to opt out, but they did not in this instance.

But I also don't think sex ed should discriminate amongst any sexual preference group. Intersectional teachings do.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
No one debated anything about this program existing. And to think that all suicides are caused by the same thing, no. I had a classmate that was suicidal when we were in HS, he committed suicide 10 yrs after we graduated. I knew another one that had already tried suicide that was two yrs younger then I. Yes it has always existed. Mental imbalance, bullying etc Not caused by teacher lesson plans though.

School learning curriculum should not be related to having been causing suicidal thoughts. The kids due to the teachings, hated their skin color and where they were born. Please explain the positivity of that? How is that a good thing? If it is let me know.

They didn't allow the parents to opt out in the instance that Texas was talking about. Parents didn't know about it.

Now, yes, I would have had less of a problem if they allowed parents to opt out, but they did not in this instance.

But I also don't think sex ed should discriminate amongst any sexual preference group. Intersectional teachings do.
Did you ask all of the kids how they felt about it? Or did you read what the 1 dipshit parent had to say out of 100 others that had nothing to say. You ever notice how the news shows up to trailer parks after a tornado? Well, they do the same thing with people when they can sniff out manufactured controversy.

WildWestDesigns

Did you ask all of the kids how they felt about it? Or did you read what the 1 dipshit parent had to say out of 100 others that had nothing to say. You ever notice how the news shows up to trailer parks after a tornado? Well, they do the same thing with people when they can sniff out manufactured controversy.
Which one are we talking about here, because they are 2 different situations? Or are you referring to both?

In the one that I brought up, there are groups of outraged parents. There was even a motion to have state funding pulled from schools that had that curriculum. I would say that the upset is pretty big in that regard.

With regard to what Texas brought up, all you have to do is read the article on that one. I do think they had some students feedback as well as parents.

You also have to keep in mind, some people don't say anything, not because they agree with it, but if they do publicly come out, they have to wonder about the repercussions that they would have to face. Labeled an ist and a phobe just based on the sole fact of a differing opinion.

Rather or not you, I or the next person may have that issue. That is a real concern to have for some.

You can't also discount the fact that the other people just may not care at all. I think apathy can be a dangerous thing, but then again, it could also depend on the situation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Those grades were from our foster child. She'd be going into 4th now I think. She's no longer with us.

My daughter is starting 3-day a week Christian school in the fall... 5th grade

Johnny Best

Those grades were from our foster child. She'd be going into 4th now I think. She's no longer with us.

My daughter is starting 3-day a week Christian school in the fall... 5th grade
That was 4th grade in 2021 so she went into 5yh in Sept, 21 and now going into 6th. Bet that foster girl has some stories, hope she is OK.
And thanks Tex for that heartwarming post.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My oldest is in college and my youngest a senior this upcoming year. If they were little I would be sending them to the Catholic school, or some other private school. My small little town public school used to be great, now it's just a disaster. ONE YEAR LEFT!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I was in school (and it wasn't a one room schoolhouse, either), when the catholic school had a problem kid, they kicked him out and they always landed in our school for some reason. They weren't really bad, not by today's standards. They just talked back or slouched too much in their chairs. Today's kids would be lined up and battered with rulers and yardsticks til they bled.