• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Todays school aged kids get gentle grades...

Stacey K

I like making signs
I also agree that it's the parents who don't want to realize that their children aren`t doing well in school. They would rather get a good grade than objectively admit that their child is lazy or needs extra hours of study. Hope this will end soon. My older son goes to asa college miami now and thank god there`s no such trend. In general I like that in the institutions students understand that they have to count on their own strength. School administrators also need to realize that giving the lead to parents won't give their children anything except a misleading sense of success that will quickly dissipate at the university.

You make an excellent point! Not only are the kids responsible for their own grades in college but for themselves as well. My son was always a bit shy and he decided to go to college 7 hours away. There were several times he called me crying and wanted to come home the first couple months. He had a problem with a teacher, a lot of homework, some problems with a couple roommates but mom wasn’t there to help. It was grueling listening but he navigated through it and after a bit of time he was fine. He had always gotten good grades in high school but in college, there’s no redos or mom calling the teacher. You pass or fail, period. He graduates in February and moving away and going to college was the best thing he ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You make an excellent point! Not only are the kids responsible for their own grades in college but for themselves as well. My son was always a bit shy and he decided to go to college 7 hours away. There were several times he called me crying and wanted to come home the first couple months. He had a problem with a teacher, a lot of homework, some problems with a couple roommates but mom wasn’t there to help. It was grueling listening but he navigated through it and after a bit of time he was fine. He had always gotten good grades in high school but in college, there’s no redos or mom calling the teacher. You pass or fail, period. He graduates in February and moving away and going to college was the best thing he ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good story. It was the best thing I ever did as well and it was actually a good friend of mine that harassed the crap out of me to go. I don't think enough people see the value in it but if I would have stayed in the town where I grew up, hanging with the same crowd I grew up with, my life would be much different today and not for the better.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Its a selfish society where everyone thinks they're smarter than the next guy. Self realization is gone and that's because the stupid people yell the loudest. Sorry y'all but that's the drive behind home schooling. Thinking that teachers are dumb, I know more than they do but when it comes to your trade you can't fathom how anyone can be better than you either cuz you have experience. You're growing this problem by not exposing your kids to different people, points of view, teaching methods etc. Many people claim that schools are indoctrinating kids but by teaching only what you choose, you are actually the ones doing just that.
All the criticizing of college educations by people that never even went to college cuz they're smarter than that, maybe you're actually not? Maybe you are actually the person that you think everyone else is? Getting a degree takes work and dedication, that's 95% of the reason so many companies require a degree. It's not just the education, it shows you can focus and see something through to the end, at a young age and with no monetary incentive. Education can't fix stupid but that's not the fault of the university system.
The other thing growing this laziness is the rise of easy cheap credit. You don't have to work harder to get the things you want anymore cuz you can pay for them over time. When making the payment gets old, just go refinance your house and throw it into the mortgage. This couples with social media has made conspicuous consumption go out of control. It's all dumb, just like people today.
This theory of "sticking it through and focusing to the end" comes from my generation and prior to that. I can honestly counter argue this point because I lived through it.
When I graduated from College in 1994, that was the whole point of being in college. That idea has now eroded away. As a middle school teacher, I was teaching in a school that was 100% economically disadvantaged. My children went to school in a 3% economically disadvantaged school. So I saw the disparity up close and personal. The grading policy is VERY lenient. The absolute lowest grade you can give a student is a 50, regardless of what they didn't turn in. My students didn't turn a whole lot in.
At the same time, our hallways were all adorned with University names. The big push was to pass the state mandated tests AND to have them buy into the college platform.
Most of my students were children of illegal immigrants. (YES, there has always been a border crisis in Texas). Their native language was spanish. They are being raised to speak spanish but not write it or read it.

Now, on to the big fallacy that once was, "Its not the education, it shows you can focus and see something through to the end at a young age and with no monetary incetive". That has been exploited by our government. NOW they want everyone to get a degree. If you look at online schools, phoenix university is the one that comes to mind, they are making it very easy to get a degree these days.
But, they have had to combat the public education policies (give the kid a 50). And how do they do it? They have the remedial classes. To put it into perspective, when I was in college, there was one remedial math class and one remedial reading class. These classes DO NOT count toward your major but you still have to pay for them. They are intended to "fill the gap" from what you didn't learn in the public education system.

TODAY, there are currently 3 remedial math classes (7th, 8th and 9th grade math) that they now offer at the jr college level in order to get you up to speed to college algebra. Imagine having to pay for classes just to get you up to speed to graduate. Now, I don't know about you, but I know A LOT of people who have had to take time off and then go back to getting a degree. My cousin is working on her degree and she is 60. She has been struggling all her life to get that degree and she's pretty much at the end of her careers. She has made it a goal to get that degree in her lifetime. While, I encourage her efforts, I'm on the other side looking and thinking, why waste the money?

Universities are making a killing on people going to school. They WANT people to finish because that means increased revenue for them. People become deeply indebted to the school system for a degree that isn't cost effective at the end of the day.
I taught with a young lady who had a degree from a private university in San Antonio. She was $60k in debt. Her teaching job was $50k per year. That doesn't make fiscal sense to me.
This agenda has been pushed for so long now that we don't have diesel mechanics. HVAC, electricians, plumbers, welders are in high demand but no one wants to do it because they are being pushed to go to college. There are still people out there who aren't cut out for college. My son is one of them. He went into the navy instead of college. He actually hated the schooling in the navy but it was very short lived.

Anyway, I had that same mindset of get the degree...That's no longer the mindset.

Notarealsignguy

This theory of "sticking it through and focusing to the end" comes from my generation and prior to that. I can honestly counter argue this point because I lived through it.
When I graduated from College in 1994, that was the whole point of being in college. That idea has now eroded away. As a middle school teacher, I was teaching in a school that was 100% economically disadvantaged. My children went to school in a 3% economically disadvantaged school. So I saw the disparity up close and personal. The grading policy is VERY lenient. The absolute lowest grade you can give a student is a 50, regardless of what they didn't turn in. My students didn't turn a whole lot in.
At the same time, our hallways were all adorned with University names. The big push was to pass the state mandated tests AND to have them buy into the college platform.
Most of my students were children of illegal immigrants. (YES, there has always been a border crisis in Texas). Their native language was spanish. They are being raised to speak spanish but not write it or read it.

Now, on to the big fallacy that once was, "Its not the education, it shows you can focus and see something through to the end at a young age and with no monetary incetive". That has been exploited by our government. NOW they want everyone to get a degree. If you look at online schools, phoenix university is the one that comes to mind, they are making it very easy to get a degree these days.
But, they have had to combat the public education policies (give the kid a 50). And how do they do it? They have the remedial classes. To put it into perspective, when I was in college, there was one remedial math class and one remedial reading class. These classes DO NOT count toward your major but you still have to pay for them. They are intended to "fill the gap" from what you didn't learn in the public education system.

TODAY, there are currently 3 remedial math classes (7th, 8th and 9th grade math) that they now offer at the jr college level in order to get you up to speed to college algebra. Imagine having to pay for classes just to get you up to speed to graduate. Now, I don't know about you, but I know A LOT of people who have had to take time off and then go back to getting a degree. My cousin is working on her degree and she is 60. She has been struggling all her life to get that degree and she's pretty much at the end of her careers. She has made it a goal to get that degree in her lifetime. While, I encourage her efforts, I'm on the other side looking and thinking, why waste the money?

Universities are making a killing on people going to school. They WANT people to finish because that means increased revenue for them. People become deeply indebted to the school system for a degree that isn't cost effective at the end of the day.
I taught with a young lady who had a degree from a private university in San Antonio. She was $60k in debt. Her teaching job was $50k per year. That doesn't make fiscal sense to me.
This agenda has been pushed for so long now that we don't have diesel mechanics. HVAC, electricians, plumbers, welders are in high demand but no one wants to do it because they are being pushed to go to college. There are still people out there who aren't cut out for college. My son is one of them. He went into the navy instead of college. He actually hated the schooling in the navy but it was very short lived.

Anyway, I had that same mindset of get the degree...That's no longer the mindset.
I disagree. Just because people can't focus or apply themselves and then go on with life making poor choices doesn't make college any less than what it has ever been. Like everything in life it's about being self aware and being responsible for yourself. Education has not changed, the working environment has not changed it's the people that have changed. The expectation of getting something simply for showing up is getting worse and worse. People expect to go to college and get a degree just because they are there, people go to work and expect a pay check simply because they punched the clock when they walked in. Any way you look at it the same thing holds true today, those that can focus and see things through will generally go farther in life. College is just important as it ever has been and people should be encouraged to go rather than discouraged just because some slackers never got off their butt to make it after graduating. If you can not survive in an environment where there are lazy people wanting to drag everyone around them down and you are not able to motivate yourself to succeed then you are not going to go accomplish much except figuring a way to deflect the blame of your current predicament.

ProSignTN

That's cuz the a-hole parents raised holy hell about teachers calling out the sorry students for being sorry. The root cause is that stupid people can't accept the fact that they have stupid kids and there's no shortage of either one.
I do annual school team sponsor signs in a local gym. I post them in the fall each year an remove the ones that don't renew. The parent in charge of the fundraiser sent me the New List, but ask me why I needed a list of the Renewals. 'So I know which ones to leave posted". Duh. BTW, She is a nurse.

ProSignTN

My oldest is in college and my youngest a senior this upcoming year. If they were little I would be sending them to the Catholic school, or some other private school. My small little town public school used to be great, now it's just a disaster. ONE YEAR LEFT!!!!
I remember those Catholic school girls, they did go a long way.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I disagree. Just because people can't focus or apply themselves and then go on with life making poor choices doesn't make college any less than what it has ever been. Like everything in life it's about being self aware and being responsible for yourself. Education has not changed, the working environment has not changed it's the people that have changed. The expectation of getting something simply for showing up is getting worse and worse. People expect to go to college and get a degree just because they are there, people go to work and expect a pay check simply because they punched the clock when they walked in. Any way you look at it the same thing holds true today, those that can focus and see things through will generally go farther in life. College is just important as it ever has been and people should be encouraged to go rather than discouraged just because some slackers never got off their butt to make it after graduating. If you can not survive in an environment where there are lazy people wanting to drag everyone around them down and you are not able to motivate yourself to succeed then you are not going to go accomplish much except figuring a way to deflect the blame of your current predicament.
You are assuming that college isn't a poor choice. I'm suggesting that it is a choice that needs to be heavily weighed. My oldest daughter got a dual degree in finance and accounting. I was all for it because not only did she have scholarships and grants, but she is making a good wage right out of college. My son is not a college bound person. He's a lot like me and wants to be busy. So, he joined the Navy. He nearly didn't make it out of A school because he hated the coursework that bad. HOWEVER, he is a computer programmer WITH security clearances that allows him to make MORE money than his dad who has a computer information systems degree.
My BIG fear is my youngest daughters' college debt. She just started (and is going out of state so theres an extra charge). She is getting a degree in nutrition with an expectation of owning a restaurant when she gets out.
She's got a lot of work to do when she gets out (IF SHE DECIDES TO DO IT THEN)
Here's where you can disagree all you want but it's factually wrong: A drive to succeed and lack of laziness does not correlate with a degree.
I would venture to say that there are plenty of successful business people on this platform right here who do not have a degree (and are not lazy at all) but have a very successful business model that works well. and you should know based on the customers you get that your

Notarealsignguy

You are assuming that college isn't a poor choice. I'm suggesting that it is a choice that needs to be heavily weighed. My oldest daughter got a dual degree in finance and accounting. I was all for it because not only did she have scholarships and grants, but she is making a good wage right out of college. My son is not a college bound person. He's a lot like me and wants to be busy. So, he joined the Navy. He nearly didn't make it out of A school because he hated the coursework that bad. HOWEVER, he is a computer programmer WITH security clearances that allows him to make MORE money than his dad who has a computer information systems degree.
My BIG fear is my youngest daughters' college debt. She just started (and is going out of state so theres an extra charge). She is getting a degree in nutrition with an expectation of owning a restaurant when she gets out.
She's got a lot of work to do when she gets out (IF SHE DECIDES TO DO IT THEN)
Here's where you can disagree all you want but it's factually wrong: A drive to succeed and lack of laziness does not correlate with a degree.
I would venture to say that there are plenty of successful business people on this platform right here who do not have a degree (and are not lazy at all) but have a very successful business model that works well. and you should know based on the customers you get that your
I never said it did. I also do not agree 1 bit that college, or any form of education or learning is ever a poor choice. You cite your son but he got an education in the Navy. Money does not equate to anything in my eyes. Glad he makes more than his father but who cares? Fact is, not having a degree can hold you back even if you are 100% capable of doing the job. Ive worked for many companies where you hit a ceiling on advancement because of it. I just do not see how you can argue that college is not a good idea.

Vassago

We've got exactly the same situation in the UK.. I was the first year taking GCSEs, they were hard as teachers, etc didnt want them - many failed.

Now they changed them into multiple choice questions with usually 2 answers so stupid you'd never pick them - so now, even without taking the course you get a 50/50 chance of getting 100%.

Then they all crow about how excellent the results are, when the reality is - they've taught a bunch of idiots how to tick boxes.

Most millenials these days have no work ethic and know zero about the real work because they are all "Winners" - oh.. And there's a mental health epidemic.. I wonder why?

WildWestDesigns

I never said it did. I also do not agree 1 bit that college, or any form of education or learning is ever a poor choice. You cite your son but he got an education in the Navy. Money does not equate to anything in my eyes. Glad he makes more than his father but who cares? Fact is, not having a degree can hold you back even if you are 100% capable of doing the job. Ive worked for many companies where you hit a ceiling on advancement because of it. I just do not see how you can argue that college is not a good idea.
College isn't for everyone. Some people aren't geared for it and guess what, quite a lot of them do well having gone right to work and not building up the massive debt that comes with going to college. College has been propped up too much (and I have several degrees, been though college a lot longer than I would like to say, however, it was all debt free (one reason why it took so long), something that people today need to take into consideration, by the time that I finished compared to when I started, I saw the change in how things were being taught and what was being taught.

Oh and by the way, NYU fired a prof in organic chemistry because he was class was "too hard". A known weed out class, now matter where one goes, it is supposed to be hard. It's supposed to separate the chaff. Most people would want that weed out course.

Very much education is not what it was once was. I too would have though that investing in education would never be a waste, it does depend on what one is learning.

I can understand college, if one is wanting to go into the degrees that are required by law to have (but I'm leary of the ones that come out if students have the ability to get teachers fired because a weed out class, that I knew was hard decades ago): law, medical, some areas of finance (CPA) etc. Everything else, not so much. Especially in tech. Most big tech companies have their own "campus", because what is learned in college is too slow to change. Colleges are a monolith that is done by committee (and we all love those as customers don't we?).