• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

took the cat to the vet!!!

gabagoo

Last week sometime we think our cat may have had an altercation with a raccoon. Oliver, although declawed as he was supposed to be an indoor cat way back when, has always been a scrapper. He would fight for territory with neighbours cats with claws and yet he would always come home the victor it seemed, with little or no real terrible wounds.

Oliver came to us for free at 8 weeks old so long as I purchased something in the store at the time, so I bought $10.00 of food and litter. Great bargain!!!

great bargain until he decided to rip the head off of a rubber lizard of my sons and it got lodged so that he could not deficate or eat...$600.00

Then again he ate some other rubbery toy, I think it was a small rubber skull.....$600.00 again!!! I kept the skull in a plastic bottle as a token of my expense.

Oliver is great cat as far as cats go. Very friendly and affectionate and as of late a big moaner (kinda like me). Every night at 3, 4 or 5 am he walks around the house moaning until someone yells SHHHHHHHHHHHH. then he shuts up, but by then the damage is done and your up.

Anyways back to the thread..... he looked awful last Wed and Thurs and he could not meow. He would open his mouth and nothing came out. He tried to eat but threw up. He is now 16 years old but still in great form. The wife sets up the appointment at the vet and naturally it is on Sat so I be the guy to do the deed. Tried for 10 minutes to stuff him into one of those cat boxes and said to hell with it and just carried him to the car.

Get to the vet and I left him in the car until they were ready for me. Strange how animals know...This is an evil place. So I take him straight into the examination room and wait for the dr. Just like in a regular doctors office, they make you wait in the waiting room and then they make you wait in the examination room. (cant wait for a dr to come by to talk signs lol) After 15 minutes dr Terabala (better known as dr terrible) comes in. Nice guy and he looks over the cat and prods and pokes and then Oliver springs into action. I have never seen my cat look so freakin scary. I told him I wasn't coming anywhere near him while he examined the feline. Hissing and spitting went on for 10 minutes and the cat after being let go actually tried to take a leaping swipe at the dr.

So he says I not sure what the problem is but he seems dehydrated and suggests he give him some liquids and take a blood test, and a shot or 2.

Brings him down after 10 minutes wherby I could hear Oliver again growling and hissing. Gave me the cat who grabbed onto my shoulders and clung. Tells me they will let us know the results of the blood test Monday and the receptionist says, how will you be paying? I said Visa and she says.... that will be 370 dollars. WHAT!!!?

I jokingly told the dr. Dude!!! are you serious? He was. I told the wife later that $370 was it. If they find anything wrong with him, he's toast!!

$10.00 cat my eye!!!!

TheSnowman

Been there, same deal. We were going to put ours down today because he started puking up whatever he ate again, and a couple months ago, we dumped about $250 into him doing tests. They said they could do exploratory surgery, but I don't want that, and neither would the cat that is scared of every little thing. They become part of the family, and we've dumped quite a bit of money into this cat in the past 5 years we have had him...but they said he has some kind of a "mass" well, they said two of them, so no need to do any more testing. Once he's at it again, time to say night night.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

At the current level of medical bills you've cited for the cat, he has cost you less than five cents a day over sixteen years. Has his presence been worth at least that to you? He sounds like a character. I'd bet the noise he makes early morning is designed to rouse some company for himself.

d fleming

My youngest has a 7 toed cat with all its claws that wouldn't leave the house on a bet. The cat and one of our pups have become mma fighters. The dog never bites and the cat never claws, but you would think they were killing each other with all the bouncing hissing and barking. Makes for some serious early morning entertainment.

vid

I said Visa and she says....

:ROFLMAO: A Visa?.. set it up for the rewards program! Pets are an awesome way to generate points! Our dogs have one of those in my name. I think next year we'll be able to have enough points for a trip to Italy.

ProWraps

A DAY WITHOUT A CAT (OR DOG) IS A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE!!!!!!

heh, i feel your pain. we have been in the vet several times lately with our dogs. ugh, expensive to say the least. but what you gonna do. we love em. so do you.

bernie

cat

Boy, I think we've all been there. I had to smile as I read this post
because it is all too familiar. But, the years of enjoyment from
these animals hopefully out weighs the pain of the vet bill.

I have a sandblasted rock at my shop door that says
"Love my critters best"

I'm sure I helped finance the vets new building. Strange thing,
I'm not showing as part owner. Whats up with that!

Bernie
Artistic Sandblasting NW

ProWraps

i heard this and it made me laugh:

"dogs have owners, cats have staff"... so true.

cats or dogs, im a dog person, love em. for all we do, and we go through they deserve our love and attention. god love em cats and dogs for what they provide us and how they love us. even if we are their staff.

they are worth every moment of attention they give us. after having a business partner, i would trade a million cats and a million dogs vets bills rather than that a$$hole.

Marlene

yep, those little buggers can cost some cash. all my cats are rescue cats, one from the Humane society, one from a Feral Cat Society and the other, just a stray that needed help. the humane society cat has issues with his bowels and needs enemas which cost about $120 each time. the feral cat society cat so far so good, he is missing one of his back feet but it has caused no issues. the stray from my backyard has a gum disease and had to have a bunch of teeth pulled for over $500 bucks. every night when I go home from work, no matter how much my day sucked, those three guys make me laugh. they also comfort me and give me tons of love. they give so much and when they need care, I am glad that I am there to take care of them. your guy sounds like a cool cat. I hope all goes OK with the tests.

mark in tx

A friend of mine had a cat that needed an eye removed. 900 bucks.
I told him it was only 35 to put it down.
He thought it was funny, but then reminded me about the 500 I spent on my stray.
So, I made a pirate eypatch for his cat, but it would not wear it.

Ungrateful little beast.

gabagoo

well I think all he really needed was the fluids as he is back to normal and meowing away. Dr called and says he might have a form of aids which is common in cats or some such thing but he was only 30% sure. If we wanted he could do more tests. ...... NO!
Take this morning at 5am......he comes into our room makes one moan and then opens the shutters. hehe . the little %$%$

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Be careful not to share any bodily fluids with him for at least 6 months.

My wife took both our cats to the vet just this morning and they said our cats are very healthy and their teeth are immaculate for nine years old. Huh ?? We only got our cats in late 2006. Also, they both need to lose weight for their age. Ahh.... our cats might be plump and have good teeth, but they ain't nine years old. Do we need to find a new vet that can count.... or all cats born with nine lives in advance ??

Where does this clown keep coming up with nine ??

Anyway, Mambo and Benny are 100% healthy and good for two more years..... no matter how old they are.