• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Truck Lettering

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So complete vehicle wraps are a no-no for you then right?

I have done and seen trucks with copy that low that hold up for years no problem and still look fine.

Guess I'm not splainin' myself right to you.........

Things I said right off the bat, guess you didn't read it or didn't understand it. Machts nix.

I know it's done, because the computer has given many designers the ability to do things wrong. Notice, I didn't say stupid or dumb, although those would've been my first choices.

When you're not utilizing a complete truck and just doing a logo and some secondary or even tertiary copy, going that low is just plain wrong.

When you're wrapping a vehicle, you have a rigid lam over it thus protecting it. However, for the most part, putting secondary copy that low is still wrong in most professional eyes. Granted, for some odd effect or gimmick, you might put something down there. In fact, we have 9 trucks we're doing last week and this week which breaks this rule, but it's is very-very UN-important information and they'd rather is get lost down there. However, for the most part, why would anyone in their right frame of mind, consider putting pertinent information on the bottom of a truck when 80% of the rest of the truck would do so much better ??

really, it's not a question of if people do this or not, but from what standpoint does it make sense to letter 1/2 of your copy off the truck ??

To me, this would be like sitting in your favorite comfy chair, under a reading light and putting dark sunglasses on to read a good book. Yeah, it can be done, but why ?? :help

OldPaint

So complete vehicle wraps are a no-no for you then right?

I have done and seen trucks with copy that low that hold up for years no problem and still look fine.
well since some one else is dumb and does dumb things....its ok for you to do the same?????
most wraps SUCK!!! for one simple reason. those doing the bad ones, have no design skills or artistic ability. and they use the old stand by.......
"if you cant dazzle em with your briliance......they baffle em with bullschit!!!!
more is not always better........and K.I.S.S.........all seem to cover it.
putting a phone # on the lower part on any vehicle...IS DUMB... unless you got a truck like BIG FOOT)))))

qmr55

Guess I'm not splainin' myself right to you.........

Things I said right off the bat, guess you didn't read it or didn't understand it. Machts nix.

I know it's done, because the computer has given many designers the ability to do things wrong. Notice, I didn't say stupid or dumb, although those would've been my first choices.

When you're not utilizing a complete truck and just doing a logo and some secondary or even tertiary copy, going that low is just plain wrong.

When you're wrapping a vehicle, you have a rigid lam over it thus protecting it. However, for the most part, putting secondary copy that low is still wrong in most professional eyes. Granted, for some odd effect or gimmick, you might put something down there. In fact, we have 9 trucks we're doing last week and this week which breaks this rule, but it's is very-very UN-important information and they'd rather is get lost down there. However, for the most part, why would anyone in their right frame of mind, consider putting pertinent information on the bottom of a truck when 80% of the rest of the truck would do so much better ??

really, it's not a question of if people do this or not, but from what standpoint does it make sense to letter 1/2 of your copy off the truck ??

To me, this would be like sitting in your favorite comfy chair, under a reading light and putting dark sunglasses on to read a good book. Yeah, it can be done, but why ?? :help

Point taken. The only reason I put text there was because someone suggested that I occupy the space where the stripe is. I have no choice but to keep the stripe so there is no questions there.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, from your logo stealing thread to the threads about possible design help to your command of what you do and don't understand..... you always have an excuse. It's never a good one at all, but you have a lousy comeback and later, you change that opinion or idea and change it again, anyway.

Why do you look for answers to things, if you just throw caution to the wind ??

It doesn't have to be my answers you try, but why don't you move the paint band up or did someone already paint that maroon band down there ?? Is the truck totally blue or is that maroon stripe already painted on or is it vinyl ??

qmr55

It doesn't have to be my answers you try, but why don't you move the paint band up or did someone already paint that maroon band down there ?? Is the truck totally blue or is that maroon stripe already painted on or is it vinyl ??

The truck is already painted the blue, not my choice and the maroon stripe is painted on...can't be moved.

qmr55

Ya know, from your logo stealing thread to the threads about possible design help to your command of what you do and don't understand..... you always have an excuse. It's never a good one at all, but you have a lousy comeback and later, you change that opinion or idea and change it again, anyway.

What is my excuse here? The stripe is already painted? How is that an excuse? Are you talking about the fact that I tried something that someone else in this thread mentioned? Worth a shot isn't it? Rather have a blank stripe down the truck, fine. You take offense to things way to easily as I have learned already. I was contemplating possibly signing up for the Meet & Greet but I don't even feel welcome now!

Take care.

sar bossier

Why do you look for answers to things, if you just throw caution to the wind ??

Gino ... See post #8 - it's already there. I agree with what you are saying ... and that stripe makes no sense to ME at all! Just my opinion

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, it's not my ideas or feelings that get lost or hurt, but I see many professionals give good advice and people such as yourself, throw it right back in people's faces. For the most part, people on this forum give really good advice and such as yourself, you take it and try to use it, but you don't seem to understand what you're doing and when someone explains it, you think there's a 'Quick-Easy' button which can fix your problem pronto. There's never a quick fix. You need to look at more than just your immediate surroundings. If you like half of your lettering that low on a truck, then do it, but don't tell me I'm the one with hurt feelings when you read my earlier response and didn't understand it and how many other posts you claimed you didn't understand, but still posted answers ?? Were you or were you not taking a poke at me with your response of our not doing wraps as a no-no ??

If you don't feel welcomed coming to the mixer, that's on you, but you're going to miss a lot of fun and a great amount of knowledge being here. It has nothing to do with me, our shop or our business, but the other people who will be here to share ideas, styles, techniques and trade equipment and supplies. Our place is just the hosting place. The mixer is for all of you. We don't make a dime on this thing and don't want to. We are merely a vehicle for you and any other member here to further their horizons in the sign industry. That reminds me, I'm gonna go 'bump' it again.

It's also a great time with friends and just talking with other people in this wonderful industry and we're all real about it.

Think twice about coming or not and don't shoot yourself in the foot, just because of a personality conflict. Our shop is over 8,000 square feet. You might not even come in contact with me for two whole days if you play your cards right.

qmr55

No, it's not my ideas or feelings that get lost or hurt, but I see many professionals give good advice and people such as yourself, throw it right back in people's faces. For the most part, people on this forum give really good advice and such as yourself, you take it and try to use it, but you don't seem to understand what you're doing and when someone explains it, you think there's a 'Quick-Easy' button which can fix your problem pronto. There's never a quick fix. You need to look at more than just your immediate surroundings. If you like half of your lettering that low on a truck, then do it, but don't tell me I'm the one with hurt feelings when you read my earlier response and didn't understand it and how many other posts you claimed you didn't understand, but still posted answers ?? Were you or were you not taking a poke at me with your response of our not doing wraps as a no-no ??

If you don't feel welcomed coming to the mixer, that's on you, but you're going to miss a lot of fun and a great amount of knowledge being here. It has nothing to do with me, our shop or our business, but the other people who will be here to share ideas, styles, techniques and trade equipment and supplies. Our place is just the hosting place. The mixer is for all of you. We don't make a dime on this thing and don't want to. We are merely a vehicle for you and any other member here to further their horizons in the sign industry.

It's also a great time with friends and just talking with other people in this wonderful industry and we're all real about it.

Think twice about coming or not and don't shoot yourself in the foot, just because of a personality conflict. Our shop is over 8,000 square feet. You might not even come in contact with me for two whole days if you play your cards right.

Gino I do not think there is a quick-easy fix for most things. That is why I haven't yet sent this design out because I know it is not up to standards yet. Yes I did take a poke at you with that comment and I apologize for that. I take everything I read on here in because most of it is great advice and some of it, well some of its just fun to read. I'll be the first to admit it, I'm young and sometimes rather stupid....that's why yours and others advice is something that i take very seriously and try hard to better my designs for the good of my clients.

As for the mixer, I guess we'll see...by the way, whens the deadline to sign up? I would love to put faces to all the guys who post here, meet many great people and take in as much great information as I can to better my abilities in the sign industry.

Thanks again!

OldPaint

now IF YOU HAVE ANY ABILITIES... how hard is it to mask off the MAROON STRIPE......go to local auto paint store, get a different color, load up your spray gun and change the color. OR suggest to the owner of the truck to have it taken to a body shop and paint over the stripe???
since i can do auto painting.......i would make a few bucks on fixin that god awful maroon thing.

qmr55

now IF YOU HAVE ANY ABILITIES... how hard is it to mask off the MAROON STRIPE......go to local auto paint store, get a different color, load up your spray gun and change the color. OR suggest to the owner of the truck to have it taken to a body shop and paint over the stripe???
since i can do auto painting.......i would make a few bucks on fixin that god awful maroon thing.

I can do auto painting too, would be easy to cover up. But the customer insists on keeping the stripe. My only guess is because they just paid to have it painted on! Thank you though OP.

Marlene

the phone number in a condensed font like that is harder to read than a smaller height letter in a font that isn't condensed. people try to get really big by using condensed fonts but it works to make it less visible.

the logo itself isn't all that bad. the colors are really bad but do look better with the white copy. maybe try not matching the truck and making the colors work for the logo. maybe a white background on the oval would work.

Joe Diaz

Your last one with the white lettering is definitely a step in the right direction. I would also change the phone number to match the lettering style of the main copy on the logo and lose the condensed lettering style. It doesn't match the rest of the brand and there is no reason the phone number should overpower the logo, especially since the phone number is least important part of truck lettering in my opinion.