• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Uncle sam, "we want you" use

stephenj148

Is this illegal to use? My fraternity wants to use the "we want you" on the back of a recruitment shirt.

I told them its a no-go. But I figured I'd ask

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The best solution is to acquire a licensed version or one that is licensed for the use you want to put it to even if it is without cost. Here's a link to 505 versions you can purchase a license for.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Is this illegal to use? My fraternity wants to use the "we want you" on the back of a recruitment shirt.

Nonsense. The 'I Want You" with Uncle Sam image dates back to WWI.

First, most anything the government does is pretty much automatically in the public domain. Secondly, it was done before 1922 [I think that's the correct year] and as such, it also in the public domain unless specific copyrights were issued when it was created and were properly renewed during the intervening time.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The original Uncle Sam may be in the public domain but any version you come across that has been published, and therefore copyrighted, is not. So the question becomes, where is the OP getting his version of Uncle Sam from? If it is anything other than his own version created from scratch, then I doubt he will be protected from any public domain claim.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
awesome detective work rick....

now can you please change you avy.....disturbing...

Agree 1,000%. His and Slappy's investigations amaze me.

Also, of course he 'CAN' change it..... I would presume you want to re-phrase it to 'Would' you please...........

:Oops:

MikePro

shoot, my frat used to ripoff logos all the time... "spreading bread since 1948" with the Wonder Bread logo clearly modified for Delta U was one of my favorites :)

not like you're going to be selling these shirts anywhere and everywhere that would raise any red flags.

stephenj148

shoot, my frat used to ripoff logos all the time... "spreading bread since 1948" with the Wonder Bread logo clearly modified for Delta U was one of my favorites :)

not like you're going to be selling these shirts anywhere and everywhere that would raise any red flags.

good point. Thanks

Locals Find!

That is the same thinking that got me into trouble. This is truly bad advice. DON'T DO THIS!

good point. Thanks
No! Its not a good point. Take it from someone who has had their a$$ handed to them due to this diluted logic. Don't rip off copyrighted works. You may think your not going to get caught then you end up screwed. Do things right or not at all.

Edit: I think Gino is starting to rub off on me.

stephenj148

That is the same thinking that got me into trouble. This is truly bad advice. DON'T DO THIS!

No! Its not a good point. Take it from someone who has had their a$$ handed to them due to this diluted logic. Don't rip off copyrighted works. You may think your not going to get caught then you end up screwed. Do things right or not at all.

Edit: I think Gino is starting to rub off on me.

okay. I think I'll tell them to just go with a different design

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Addy, i don't see you getting into any type of frat or fraternity of any type

Really ?? I can see the Floridian Fraternity of Brokers, Yes We Can Beta, wanting to do something for our beloved Addie.....

Attachments

• hazing for Addie.jpg
    hazing for Addie.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 83

Locals Find!

okay. I think I'll tell them to just go with a different design

You misunderstood me. The Uncle Sam part is public domain, use it. I was trying to speak against the advice posted about using other logos like the example mentioned of Wonder Bread which isn't in the public domain.

I didn't want someone to come along like I did in the past and think that ripping off other logos not in the public domain was acceptable.

MikePro

for personal or business related production?
I assume that you ran into issues with the latter? I have yet to see anyone/any group get sued for making a couple of t-shirts that they weren't profiting on.

Heck, even my lithuanian polka-dance group used the Starbucks logo for shirts back in 2001, about 30 of them. Still have yet to see any lawsuits filed.
Now if I were marketing and selling them for your own monetary gain, as I'm sure you were, then I wouldn't be surprised if someone had an issue with it.

MikePro

back to the OP's question, i truly believe that it is OK to use. Especially for your scale and intentions of production/use.