• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unrealistic requests/deadlines

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
This was my main reluctance for this request, also for a bush type of plane. I'm not against taking on rush orders as long as there's a contingency plan in case something goes wrong, this wasn't one of those cases.

Does anyone here routinely do installs using third party graphics? I thought it was generally something to be avoided.
We install graphics on vehicles all the time that people purchased online.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Isn't that crazy! I made 3 - 20' signs and 2 indoor acrylic signs for a local company. They were on my A$$ about getting them finished. That was 2 months ago and they still didn't hang them up. The right deadline got me a little stressed out for nothing LOL
my boyfriend NEVER lets other peoples deadlines stress him out. We do everything we can to make a deadline, but I will sweat profusely, and run around the shop full speed ahead. My boyfriend: Slllllooooowwwssss everything doooowwwwnnn. And if we miss the deadline he says, 'they are lucky to get anything'

gnubler

We install graphics on vehicles all the time that people purchased online.

Why? I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering why you would want to when you already produce decals in-house? Almost like giving business to the competition, until one day everyone will just buy their graphics on the internet because it's cheaper. What about installation mishaps and liability?

Johnny Best

Back in the 70s I use to do all the McDonalds in my area. They were big yellow M with a white McDonalds in middle. They were all shipped in from who knows where. First time I ever messed with vinyl and what a clustrfu#k that was. They had me do all of them because I did not screw it up as much as others. Third party graphics are usually hit or miss. Probably got the plane graphics off a website that deals in airplane graphics and it probably would have gone alright. You always should think positive and not put up "worst case scenarios".

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Why? I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering why you would want to when you already produce decals in-house? Almost like giving business to the competition, until one day everyone will just buy their graphics on the internet because it's cheaper. What about installation mishaps and liability?
Ok, I'll answer a question with a question: How long does it take for you to create a template and get it correct for the vehicle?
How often do you get phone calls from people who have a decal and they just need it installed? and do you turn it down? that's quick easy money...charge the install fee and move on.
Most of the time they come back to get other graphics done..sometimes just install and sometimes they want custom stuff. we usually see them again.

gnubler

You always should think positive and not put up "worst case scenarios".
It's not in my nature. German. "Expect the best but prepare for the worst."

Good points there, Geneva. I've only had a few requests to install third party graphics and have passed on all of them. One was a car bra or hood vinyl someone bought on Amazon and had no idea how to install it...I passed on that one too. I don't want to turn work down, but that would be the one job out of 100 that I screw up on the install. Then I'm liable for replacing the graphics.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

Good points there, Geneva. I've only had a few requests to install third party graphics and have passed on all of them. One was a car bra or hood vinyl someone bought on Amazon and had no idea how to install it...I passed on that one too. I don't want to turn work down, but that would be the one job out of 100 that I screw up on the install. Then I'm liable for replacing the graphics.
so you know how much the vinyl is. create a new one.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

stop looking for ways to fail.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't tell ya how many first-timers have come to us with their crap from the internet and when they come into the shop and look around, they say, I shoulda just come here in the first place. They generally start getting all kindsa other things, too. It's really good slush fund money from the little ones. The bigger they get, the better.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Plenty of times I've squeezed something in or hit a deadline the customer didn't expect me to hit and I've gotten thanked up and down and given a nice monetary tip. I've gotten gift cards too.

gnubler

Most auto repair shops won't let you bring in your own parts to be installed by them. Kind of the same principle because they can't warranty it and don't want the liability if something goes wrong with it. I think that was mentioned somewhere on the forum recently.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most auto repair shops won't let you bring in your own parts to be installed by them. Kind of the same principle because they can't warranty it and don't want the liability if something goes wrong with it. I think that was mentioned somewhere on the forum recently.
Not remotely the same. They make quite a markup on parts. What you buy at auto zone or pep boys, they can buy for about 80% less and mark it up to 5% less than what you'd pay, unless you get it online. Now a $450 part plus their labor, makes their deal sound good. Bring in your own part and it's not worth their time.

As a mechanic, if you have a long history with an auto parts store, you can get things for what they call jobber cost. The costs for things in their books have about 8 or 9 tiers. I remember the over-the-counter price for a 1978 rabbit complete muffler system from tip to tip was $179.00. We got them for $8.00 each, but sold them out in bundles. The bigger the bundle the lower the cost, but no matter how many ya bought, it was gonna be no less than about $55.00 each. List was $209.00 and we could sell them for anywhere between 10% & 15% off. But the garages around town were getting them dirt cheap, according to how many they could push.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This was my main reluctance for this request, also for a bush type of plane. I'm not against taking on rush orders as long as there's a contingency plan in case something goes wrong, this wasn't one of those cases.

Does anyone here routinely do installs using third party graphics? I thought it was generally something to be avoided.
Yes, but you need to ask what material it is before bidding... and ask if a mistake happens who is on the hook for reprinting.. all that will factor into the finial price.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I typically do not install customer supplied graphics. There are exceptions. I have a snowmobile hood here right now and the graphics came with the hood. They are 3M. I did agree to install them. I've had quite a few walk ins with graphics from Amazon or China and I look the vinyl over. If it's Oracal 651 I will install it but nothing with Chinese writing on the backer paper, etc. I agreed to do some a while ago on-site in a barn. He ordered them and they were 3M but...he didn't tell me they were old and I was not able to get the backer paper off. It was a disaster. I got a few on but not all of them. He understood and paid me accordingly.

gnubler

If you look over supplied graphics and it's not something you want to work with, how do you explain that to the customer? Inform them that it's either low-quality or the wrong type of vinyl for the job? Without being rude and telling them they wasted their money.

RabidOne

We never do that, they can find their own installer. We are too busy with our own work.

AKwrapguy

Yes. Many corporate jobs have a printer and send out kits to local installers. This is one of the biggest points of certification. Companies can go to 3M, look for certified installers to do the job.
Up here we deal with kits all the time from Coke, Pepsi, Hilton, Marriott, Rent-A-Center, H&M, Gamestop, GAP, etc...
It's more cost effective for them to deal with one printer.
Could you imagine Coke sending out truck wraps to 100's of different printers all with the lowest big... different printers, different quality control, different materials, it'd be a total shit show and almost each truck would be a different color.

Yes, we do third party jobs, all day every day. You take the time and prep the surface, lay everything out before you apply it and you chances for mistakes go way down.

Billct2

We have done a bunch of Fedex truck graphics installs. You'd think they would have it dialed in, but no, the graphics are often not quite, usually because they speced the wrong vehicle.
We just make them work, they are more interested in getting it on the road than having perfect graphics.