• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unusual Coroplast uses!

SignManiac

I saw a post the other day about using coroplast for a solar heating panel and thought I would share my idea for using it.

My business partner and I just missed out on entering the Red Bull Flugtag event here in Tampa. We wanted to build a homemade human powered plane for the event and thought it would a cool idea to build a real plane from coroplast. We have several thousand drop cuts that measure approximately 2' x 4' and have been looking for a way to use all of this material. On that note we came up with the ACME-AIR plane manufacturing company. We are going to build inexpensive kit planes for those who want to fly on a budget.

Using 10mil coro and some 6mil we are engineering a real bi-plane that my partner will fly. He holds a commercial and multi-engine pilots license. The photos shown are the basic wing structure that I designed and cut on our Multicam router table. We have the completed wing structure built and ready to cover in Saran Wrap. We used a lot of hot glue and the wing section is really strong.

Next week we start on the fuselage section and hopefully we should have the plane completed and ready to fly in a couple of months. Not to worry, we are both expert skydivers with many thousands of jumps between us in case of a major screw up.

If we are lucky we might get sponsored by Interplast who manufactures coroplast and 3M for the double sided tape, Arrow for the hot melt glue gun, Glad Seran wrap and last but not least, Heineken beer for the inspiration!

Here are a few photos of our progress. We have about six hours into the wings at this point.

Attachments

• CIMG1523.jpg
    CIMG1523.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 221
  • CIMG1530.jpg
    CIMG1530.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 191
  • CIMG1519.JPG
    CIMG1519.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 159

SebastienL

"We have the completed wing structure built and ready to cover in Saran Wrap"

Why not wrap it with a full custom print vinyl wrap? Since you need to wrap it anyway.
:Canada 2:

SignManiac

"We have the completed wing structure built and ready to cover in Saran Wrap"

Why not wrap it with a full custom print vinyl wrap? Since you need to wrap it anyway.
:Canada 2:

We considered covering it in calendar vinyl but decided the cool factor would be greater if the covering was clear and you could see all of the internal structure.

ChicagoGraphics

Why not wrap it with clear vinyl.
I can't see that thing ever getting off the ground without breaking into peices.
But I wish you luck.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'd trust the 3M VHB tape adhesion but would be skeptical of the glue sticks...
How well does that adhere to the plastic?

SignManiac

Some of it is built with 3M MHB tape but to tell the truth, I was really impressed with how strong the hot melt glue sticks worked on the coroplast. The stuff really does hold it together like a metal weld.

P

ProWraps™

wow coroplast spars even. your friends is a ballsy guy. they been makin rc airplanes out of the stuff for years. i take it you will make a typical bulkhead with stringers design for the fuselage?

SignManiac

wow coroplast spars even. your friends is a ballsy guy. they been makin rc airplanes out of the stuff for years. i take it you will make a typical bulkhead with stringers design for the fuselage?

Yes the fuselage will be built from double laminated 10mil coro for the bulkhead walls with the stringers reinforced too. It will consists of three sections with the pilots cabin being built heavy duty. I'm even going to try and build the wheels and landing gear from six ply's laminated.

We plan to do several low altitude test flights before we take it up to any serious altitudes. If this works maybe we will build a rocket next :)

P

ProWraps™

heh nice. what kind of powerplant? and i take it it will have to be mounted with aircraft aluminum. how do you plan on reinforcing the mount points? sorry, im an enormous aircraft buff with over 300 r/c planes, gliders, helicopters and the like. i would ask what airfoil you chose to use, but i would be a real tool. i do see that its not symetrical so i guess what no inverted flight!?!?!?! this is probably the coolest thing ive seen on ANY forum.

Sign Works

Interesting project their Signmaniac. I also couldn't help but notice the pool table in your print room there, now that's a productive work environment, probably got the Busa in the next room as well huh?:thumb:

P

ProWraps™

i have to disagree. its not everywhere you look. ITS HERE. again ill say it one more time. THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING IVE SEEN ON ANY FORUM.