• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unusual Coroplast uses!

S

Sign-Man Signs

As a pilot and knowing how crappy coroplast is, you need to take a reality check before you kill yourself. Looks cool but in my opinion, it's death trap waiting to be sprung.
Have you contacted the FAA on the structure material? Hot glue? Chance of maybe a warm day, something coming apart? Ever watch the coyote with his ACME stuff? You guys aren't serious are you? A plastic plane glued together. Now that's something to think about when you're a thousand feet in the air?
Seriously, just back away from the project........
Read this PLEASE.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2009/06/does-af-447-reveal-safety-risks-new-aircraft-materials

P

ProWraps™

i sure hope the reason that this hasnt been updated isnt because of a test flight gone bad. but i have to admit i was VERY impressed and curious about the results.

SignManiac

We've been really busy and had to put our experiment on hold. Last week we put in a bid on a paramotor engine for the power plant. We are hoping to find some time to get back to working on it again. Not sure when we will be able to test fly it but it will definitely happen sometime in the future.

After the plane we are thinking of building a tank for my business partners young son with a potato canon gun on a working turret.

SignManiac

Update on the CoroPlane project. Put in a few more hours yesterday afternoon. Next week we're going to work on the under carriage and front nose compartment. Estimate to total weight to be around 200 lbs. when completed.

I think we have a line on a somewhat affordable Rotax engine. The tail rudder needs to be larger, that's an easy fix. And I have to start thinking about the joy stick and linkage for the control surfaces. It's nice to see it shaping up to be a plane :)

We already have a super cool idea for our next project that we can use the engine and prop again. This is one of those ideas that help prevent burn out from the sign business.

Attachments

• CIMG2695.JPG
    CIMG2695.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 89
  • CIMG2698.JPG
    CIMG2698.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 108
  • CIMG2700.JPG
    CIMG2700.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 103
  • CIMG2703.JPG
    CIMG2703.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 112

signmeup

Yeah the vertical stab looks a little small. I'd be pretty scared to test fly a plane that was designed "on the fly".
I commend you on your ambition and building skills but without a proper design you're flirting with disaster. Actually you're poking disaster in the eye with a pointy stick. How can you be sure where the CG goes and what do you do if you get control surface flutter on climb out? Parachutes need a lot of altitude to be any help. If anything goes wrong at anything over 25 feet you're toast.

SignManiac

All true but that's what makes life more exciting! The closer one gets to death, the more one feels alive. You know, everybody thought the Wright Brothers were nuts too. And then there's always the possibility for a Darwin Award :)

Jack Knight1979

That's is great. I'm an EAA member.

This needs to be posted there. EAA.org.
I think a rotax is probably going to be WAY to heavy for this. You'll have to deal with center of gravity issues.

Gorgeous work, BTW.

SignManiac

Home Depot white glue sticks. Stuff is the next best thing to duct tape! We started to use zip ties to safety wire key attachment points. Plastic is fantastic!

jiarby

You can certainly build something that LOOKS LIKE an airplane, but it is difficult to believe that it will have the structural integrity to resist the forces that it will have to endure.

What is the shear strength of teh plastic around those holes where you have put zip ties? Airframe manufacturers spend a great deal of time drilling, inspecting, even x-raying rivet holes... because that is where cracks start.

why not just make it a big R/C un-manned rig...

how can it support the weight of a human, an engine, fuel, controls?? It looks great but do you think it might shake apart going down the runway at 50mph...using tape & zip ties to hold it together??

I don't want to see you guys getting hurt... make sure your buddy has a will and that he has signed an ironclad safety disclaimer, or his family may sue to pay for his care and feeding for the next 40 years.