• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USDOT/WB truck numbers reversed?

gnubler

Doing graphics & truck numbers for a tractor trailer and my customer is insisting the numbers on the passenger side need to in reverse order so they scan correctly when he goes through scales. Example: on the driver's side the wheelbase lettering will read "326 WB" and on the passenger side it'll read "BW 623". Not mirrored, just in reverse order. Is this actually a thing or is my customer on crack? He said he got cited once because they didn't scan correctly. I found nothing on a Google search.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

rjssigns

Time for the driver to put the pipe down. I've lettered a lot of dump trucks and semis and did some not that long ago, wasn't told to reverse anything.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have never even heard of wheelbase being required on a truck door, it doesnt even make sense. Permits and weight restrictions are basically based on axle groupings, spread and overall length which changes depending on your trailer, 5th wheel setting etc. I don't think that wheelbase even means anything in that realm?

gnubler

But as long as he insists, break it down and send him TWO invoices....$59 for first door, and $95 for the other.
Brilliant!

The WB number is going up on side windows. I've never seen or done a wheelbase number either, forward or backward...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Permits and weight restrictions are basically based on axle groupings, spread and overall length which changes depending on your trailer, 5th wheel setting etc.
Sounds like a job for digital message boards on the sides of the cab.....mark my words.

JB

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"

Evidently Gene@mpls lettered this guy's boat 20 years ago?
I was just thinking about that... but wasn't sure what thread I saw it in. :supersmilie:

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I probably letter 300 commercial trucks a year, and I've never heard that. In most states, the USDOT number is all you need, but CO for example requires a VIN number. Some guys want the bare minimum, other guys want to put every number they can think of on the side.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I probably letter 300 commercial trucks a year, and I've never heard that. In most states, the USDOT number is all you need, but CO for example requires a VIN number. Some guys want the bare minimum, other guys want to put every number they can think of on the side.
You have to have the company name as well as the terminal city plus usdot numbers. For interstate, you also have to have an ICC MC number and last 8 of the vin on the truck. Down here, intrastate only dot numbers have to have FL after them and they cite people for that all of the time. Or when people just put DOT... They're particular

weyandsign

You have to have the company name as well as the terminal city plus usdot numbers. For interstate, you also have to have an ICC MC number and last 8 of the vin on the truck. Down here, intrastate only dot numbers have to have FL after them and they cite people for that all of the time. Or when people just put DOT... They're particular
I don't think city or MC number is required anymore. But I could be wrong.

rjssigns

In Wisconsin if you're hauling solid waste or recyclables you also need a WDNR number. Everybody has to get their cut...