• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

using rockstar logo for mx decals?

robahl

How do you get permission to use for example the rockstar logo to mx decals?

I know that you have to have permission to use other people's logos, but how does it work if it is the customer who completes the design with the rockstar logo and I just print it for him ?

petesign

When you deal with some companies (I have had to do this with UPS before, as well as AT&T) they get you to sign a form stating that you have their permission to reproduce their logo FOR THEM, but you can't just willy nilly print it for anyone who asks for it.

Technically, you can't reproduce the rockstar logo for someone who draws it and gives it to you. You could be served a cease and desist, or worse, sued. I see a lot of shops out there selling collegiate stuff that is licensed (but not to them), and I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Great question! Licensing is there to protect the MARK and generate revenue for the MARK. In the past, I have had a customer selling licensed products at flea markets and the LICENSING POLICE came in and arrested him and put him in jail!

robahl

If I or a customer makes a design with rockstar logo into a mx dekalkit then I have to send it to rockstar companies to get permission to use it?
what are the chances that they give permission for it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I or a customer makes a design with rockstar logo into a mx dekalkit then I have to send it to rockstar companies to get permission to use it?

Your approach is kinda backwards. You don't make a design using copyrighted material and then ask for permission..... you ask first and explain how you want to use their copyrighted material for you and your customers use and monetary gains.

Chances.... about none to not-at-all.......:design:

SebastienL

None!

Is this decal kit for a Monster sponsored rider? Or is this just some guy who wants to make Monster decal 'cause Monster is "cool"?

I doubt it's the first scenario. I would imagine Monster would provide such decals for their riders. If it's the second scenario, I would send him on his way and not deal with it!

robahl

Your approach is kinda backwards. You don't make a design using copyrighted material and then ask for permission..... you ask first and explain how you want to use their copyrighted material for you and your customers use and monetary gains.
Chances.... about none to not-at-all.......:design:

I mean. I do the design in the computer, which I then send

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I mean. I do the design in the computer, which I then send

Okay, we're having some sort of a language thing going on here. No matter how you create this thing.... by computer, pencil, pen, paint, cut-outs or crayons.... you must FIRST ask permission from the comapny you want to borrow from before you start designing anything. They probably have stringent rules about borrowing or what is commonly known as stealing artwork or copyright infringements with their logo, name or appearance..... and with whom it's going to be shared.

robahl

Okay, we're having some sort of a language thing going on here. No matter how you create this thing.... by computer, pencil, pen, paint, cut-outs or crayons.... you must FIRST ask permission from the comapny you want to borrow from before you start designing anything. They probably have stringent rules about borrowing or what is commonly known as stealing artwork or copyright infringements with their logo, name or appearance..... and with whom it's going to be shared.

okay I understand just want to be sure.
sorry for my bad English

robahl

thanks for all the information that is helpful to know how the rules are.
Right now it's just a hobby and have made some dekalkit to friends and myself.
But in the future I might start selling a bit but then I know that I'm going to keep me away from rockstar and similar logos without asking

CS-SignSupply-TT

It does not matter!

thanks for all the information that is helpful to know how the rules are.
Right now it's just a hobby and have made some dekalkit to friends and myself.
But in the future I might start selling a bit but then I know that I'm going to keep me away from rockstar and similar logos without asking

IF you use "copyrighted" or "licensed" MARKS you must get permission FIRST

visual800

I'd use a Disney character riding a Harley Davidson.

:notworthy: if its on Brands of the World Ill use it I dont care. I have no respect for authority. I prefer to use and say Im sorry later. Ive done some stuff before in the past didnt think a thing about it. There are just too many Calvins peeing on stuff to worry

ooohhh double trouble Calvin peeing on a Ford logo!

Haakon

Talking of using Ford logos, a local aftermarket car parts company use the different car brand logos on their webshop, where you choose what brand you are looking for parts for.

They got a letter from Ford telling them to remove the logo instantly, or legal actions would be taken against them. They worked around the problem like this:

http://www.partsandretards.no/senkesett/justerbare-senkesett

They haven't heard a word since! :D

Tigertron

What if I cut a Harley logo and stick it in a Harley? Or a customer tells me he has the rights to use the logo (Harley dealer)?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe you just have to change it a little to get away with it....

wayne k
guam usa

"Special Man"
:thumb:

Attachments

• found_in_a_chinese_mall.jpg
    found_in_a_chinese_mall.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 92

SignProPlus-Chip

Personally I would not let my shop do ANYTHING that may open us up to any sort of legal action.

You can play it fast and loose and print trademarked/copyrighted for clients all day long, but remember this...No entity has to issue you a cease and desist letter prior to unleashing legal hell upon you. They can instead, sue straight out of the gate. Any large company has an equally large legal team, and you will end up in the poor house before you even set foot into a courtroom.

Requests for copyrighted characters from clients can usually be turned into an upsell, but it does depend on your shops capabilities. I am big on offering creative solutions for situations like this.

If a client wants Snoopy on his fleet vehicles, I first explain and educate them on why they cannot, or better yet, should not use intellectual property that is not theirs to promote their business. I do follow this up with informing them they I can create an original character that can be exclusively theirs to use anywhere and whenever they want.

Keep in mind my background is also that of an illustrator, and I do realize not all sign shops have artists on staff to offer these options.

If you insist on taking on work such as this, to protect yourself try to utilize copyright releases and hold harmless agreements.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Personally I would not let my shop do ANYTHING that may open us up to any sort of legal action.

You can play it fast and loose and print trademarked/copyrighted for clients all day long, but remember this...No entity has to issue you a cease and desist letter prior to unleashing legal hell upon you. They can instead, sue straight out of the gate. Any large company has an equally large legal team, and you will end up in the poor house before you even set foot into a courtroom.

Requests for copyrighted characters from clients can usually be turned into an upsell, but it does depend on your shops capabilities. I am big on offering creative solutions for situations like this.

If a client wants Snoopy on his fleet vehicles, I first explain and educate them on why they cannot, or better yet, should not use intellectual property that is not theirs to promote their business. I do follow this up with informing them they I can create an original character that can be exclusively theirs to use anywhere and whenever they want.

Keep in mind my background is also that of an illustrator, and I do realize not all sign shops have artists on staff to offer these options.

If you insist on taking on work such as this, to protect yourself try to utilize copyright releases and hold harmless agreements.

This ... couldn't say it any better.