• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USTECH 65" MVT-600 cold laminator purchase from Dave at bestdgi.com

239Design

Soon to order.

Hey guys, hows everything going with the laminators???? I have to take the plunge soon. One on my suppliers has a demo Drytac sha-ha JM55 with heat assist for 4650 and will not budge on the price. From what I have read the heat is not that big of a deal? The nice thing with the Drytac is the deal is delivered, setup and training. But is it worth $2000?????

player

What does the Drytac have as far as take-up reels? I couldn't find a picture of the back of it.

Does it do roll to roll?

I have read some people rarely, if ever use the heat if they have it.

239Design

So for 2000 I guess I would get- heat assist, set up and delivery, and a days training. (thats the nice part of that deal) But as a fool would say....how hard could it be!

player

If you haven't used a laminator before, a days training will be quite valuable...

$2k sounds like a deal, but I personally will make sure my next laminator has a take-up reel.

If you are getting a $4650 laminator for $2,000, grab it!

239Design

Well Player, the thing is...its 2k more the the MVT. ( sorry about that)They are going for around $2600 and the drytac is $4650

rjssigns

I can mess up a ton of material training myself and still be money ahead. 2 grand is a lot of cabbage for the "privilege".

239Design

Ya I have to agree. Like I said...hell, hard could it be!:Big Laugh And there is all the friendly people on the forums to bug with dumb question. USTech it is for me also. Thanks

trakers

Just popped in briefly and thought I’d give a 1 year+ review of the USTECH 65” laminator I started this thread about.

It continues to work flawlessly and is the best bang-for-the-buck equipment purchase we’ve made since we opened.

So far we haven’t ruined even one piece of material. I continue to use Scott from Feller’s method to web the unit, tho its been a long time since I needed to. When done laminating, I tape down the back portion of the laminate, then raise the top roller ever so slightly, eliminating the need to reweb each and every time we laminate.

4 years of warranty left on the unit, but I don’t foresee needing it.

I will reiterate that IMO the electric raise/lower option is a must have.

player

Just popped in briefly and thought I’d give a 1 year+ review of the USTECH 65” laminator I started this thread about.

It continues to work flawlessly and is the best bang-for-the-buck equipment purchase we’ve made since we opened.

So far we haven’t ruined even one piece of material. I continue to use Scott from Feller’s method to web the unit, tho its been a long time since I needed to. When done laminating, I tape down the back portion of the laminate, then raise the top roller ever so slightly, eliminating the need to reweb each and every time we laminate.

What is Scott from Fellers method?

How do you get things in straight to start?

What is the longest length you have laminated in one shot?

Does the laminate walk off to one side or the other as you laminate? If so how much?

trakers

What is Scott from Fellers method?

I'm sure Scott didn't invent this method, but that's the only way I knew how to refer to it. Scott installed our printer several years ago.
(As a point of interest I use a small phillips screwdriver to score the paper)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF_8OQQQV0I

How do you get things in straight to start?

See above

What is the longest length you have laminated in one shot?

10 foot for 8 foot substrate. Tracks perfect so could go much longer but always scared I'll do something stupid and ruin a 50ft (read expensive) piece and I seem to have a knack for getting eyelashes in there.

Does the laminate walk off to one side or the other as you laminate? If so how much?

Nope even on the 10ft pieces its never moved a bit.

FatCat

Trakers, I've been eyeing the electric raise/lower unit. Which one was the exact one you bought?

*FWIW - our original AK-600 is still running strong as well, but in the last year or so I can see where the electric raise/lower feature would be helpful. My employee sometimes doesn't get the initial setup right and after 8-10 feet one side will start to slightly pucker. It's easy to cut off, sort out and restart as long as you're not running solid 8-10' prints all day. But it would definitely save some time and effort Still on the fence about the take up, we're just used to letting them run out on our 5x12 table.

I might take the plunge and get a new one with the electric raise/lower, not sure if I'd sell our manual one or convert it to a full time mounter/mask machine??

HulkSmash

We have this unit, and for the life of us, can't get it to laminate without tracking.

Desert_Signs

We have this unit, and for the life of us, can't get it to laminate without tracking.

Same. It always tracks a little. But you, like us, are probably laminating long runs. Trakers said he's usually doing 10' runs. I can't remember the last time I only laminated 10' at a shot. Usually, I have to stop the run, cut the material and restart 2 or 3 times a full roll of media. Not a big deal really, for saving $15,000.

239Design

Vt-9600

I have a VT-9600 coming this Wed. I never owned a laminator before so I hope it works out. I will keep you guys posted.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'll also chime in with an update on ours. We bought the 65" (Pro S) one from Dave in September last year. Still have not used the heat assist, not one single time. Not to say we never will but just have not had a need to. Very happy with our purchase although I have modified the machine slightly and have also needed to adjust things once. We have run a lot of material through this thing and yes the motorized roller lift is nice. As far as tracking goes its better than the old GBC Arctic Titan we have ever was. Is it perfection, no. Does tracking greatly depend on the operator making absolutely sure both the laminate and material to be laminated are perfectly straight and lined up with each other, yes of course but I'm not sure there are many laminators out there that will make sure of this for you. It also helps if the machine is adjusted just right. We have runs many dozens of full 50 yard 54" and 60" rolls through it using the takeup reel and getting the entire 50 yard roll through in one single run. I'd say the most I have seen it track off is under a half an inch, usually 1/8" to 1/4" is more like it. I attribute the 1/2" off due to our loading the material less than perfect and of course a half inch off on a full roll that is rolled up onto a core is a bit annoying since that edge is all sticking together.

I'd say for the money this machine is a no brainer though and cannot be beat. The value is tremendous. Again, is it perfect? Absolutely not, however for what it cost me, am I happy with my purchase, extremely so. If I wanted the best out there I'd have spent 15K plus and bought an AGL.... One day I probably will but until I can justify the cost we are happy as can be with what we have.

Dave at US Tech actually also did contact me about my modification to the chain and said they are probably going to eventually have the factory engineer future machines to have the same modification. What I did was reroute the drive chain to make the front takeup roll in the opposite direction so that it is rolling the material face out. Thread I had made on ours is here ---> http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?119656

designfx

Just placed my order...

Just called Dave this morning and placed an order for the 65" Cold w/heat assist. Says it's about 2 weeks backordered. Must be a good one! Can't wait for delivery. Thanks Dave!

davidgodden

why i'm disappointed

My name is Dave,

I like the 55'' laminators best.. that's what I need period

The reason I'm disappointed, after a year of saving up enough to buy a 55'' laminator. A new Royal Sovereign or USTECH or a used
Royal Sovereign. And yesterday, upon being ready to purchase, and call Dave at best DGI and find he only has 65'' size on hand for 3 different low priced models and couldn't sell me one or tell me if or when I could purchase one. Disappointed that on ebay I could order and get to PAYPAL to make the purchase of a 55'' laminator. I will update if I end up getting the 55'' USTECH I was ready to buy last night.
MY MAIN GRIPE is the inability to purchase any of the 55'' advertised for $3200 or less or continue watching for a used royal on ebay or spring for the $6000 for a new 55'' Royal Sovereign