• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Uv flatbed through a small doorway.

CC-CMYK

I’m looking to buy a flatbed but our building only has a 5ft doorway. Is there a machine that can fit through a 5ft doorway in pieces or crated?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Kinda depends on the size of flatbed? I only have experience with two large format printers... And I would say no way. But, maybe there are small flat bed printers? Is that a thing?

parrott

We had to cut a 10' wide hole in our production room to get it in. Literally had a company come out and cut it open and come back the next day to close it back up. lol.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Canon flatbed comes split in smaller pieces. I've seen the packages and they are long but sort of narrow. I think those would fit 5ft door long way.
You better ask them.

netsol

are we talking about a wooden wall? cutting out a hole in that is easy.
if it is masonry, exterior wall, it could be a real problem
piano movers do this all the time, for instance

you need to think the whole process through, or allow a professional too do so.

other pertinent questions:

do you own the building?
how cooperative is the landlord?
how intrusive are government inspectors?

you can hire piano movers (as i have said) or riggers

you can also look into the cost & feasibility of disassembly of the flatbed, or, more to the point moving it on end

next question: if we move it on end, will you be able to corner?

you need to balance your expected needs, how much business you think this will generate, and how much you intend to add to the project for transport.

is it important enough to move or consider renting a nearby location with a wider opening?

my mind races with all the possibilities to solve a problem like this, the only thing i am sure of is no one ever said "i really wish i had purchased a smaller flatbed.

lets post a couple pictures, a drawing & maybe a little more detail. choose a reseller who would be providing service & ask to speak to their project manager. he may have many answers for you including do we void warranty by turning a flatbed on end? do they endanger their authorized reseller status by participating in such a thing?

i love a challenge, but sometimes every solution causes more problems than it solves...

rjssigns

are we talking about a wooden wall? cutting out a hole in that is easy.
if it is masonry, exterior wall, it could be a real problem
piano movers do this all the time, for instance

you need to think the whole process through, or allow a professional too do so.

other pertinent questions:

do you own the building?
how cooperative is the landlord?
how intrusive are government inspectors?

you can hire piano movers (as i have said) or riggers

you can also look into the cost & feasibility of disassembly of the flatbed, or, more to the point moving it on end

next question: if we move it on end, will you be able to corner?

you need to balance your expected needs, how much business you think this will generate, and how much you intend to add to the project for transport.

is it important enough to move or consider renting a nearby location with a wider opening?

my mind races with all the possibilities to solve a problem like this, the only thing i am sure of is no one ever said "i really wish i had purchased a smaller flatbed.

lets post a couple pictures, a drawing & maybe a little more detail. choose a reseller who would be providing service & ask to speak to their project manager. he may have many answers for you including do we void warranty by turning a flatbed on end? do they endanger their authorized reseller status by participating in such a thing?

i love a challenge, but sometimes every solution causes more problems than it solves...
On point. Especially the last sentence. Reminds me of this: Nothing is impossible it just takes more money.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Companies like Canon have a rotisserie for their flatbeds.
They'll unpack them outside. put them on the rotisserie, rotate it through the doorway.

netsol

exactly what is needed, as long as the floor doesn't collapse under the weight

i normally don't exhibit that much common sense,, but i would be afraid to rotate a flatbed 90 degrees, it helps to have the specialized equipment

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki JFX200 flatbed was turned on its side. Fit through the door easily.
Even though Mimaki say specifically in it's pre-flight for the JFX200 not to rotate it at all, I've seen Mimaki themselves rotate a machine 90 degrees to get it in their show room! Must not be too much of an important requirement.

netsol

i have seen people so furious, when they couldn't get equipment through a door,, they wanted to take a chainsaw to it.

rotating 90 degrees can often be the lesser of 2 evils

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When we got ours, we thought we'd hafta remove a double doorway and make it wider by a foot or so, but we finally managed to get it through. We had about 2 inches to spare. My neighbor's tow motor guys were phenomenal. They sent two machines and their two best guys. They didn't do anything close to harming or turning things on end.

netsol

When we got ours, we thought we'd hafta remove a double doorway and make it wider by a foot or so, but we finally managed to get it through. We had about 2 inches to spare. My neighbor's tow motor guys were phenomenal. They sent two machines and their two best guys. They didn't do anything close to harming or turning things on end.
it can't be a surprise to these guys that not everyone has an overhead door

we have the other problem. we have an 80" overhead door, but it is not at ground level. some of the guys are still complaining about the day we brought in the seal laminator. (even the dry mounting press was no walk in the park

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a 14' overhead door at one end and a 10' overhead door at the other end. However, to get from our 5 bay garage area into the main part of our building was a 6' wide double door. The flatbed was 68" wide and the door handles made it tough, so we removed them and finally got through the doors. It was a lotta backing up and moving forward, but these two guys finally got it in place perfectly. Leveled it out and was almost printing the same day, til we realized our buck-boost was faulty and hadda get another one... like right away. Not an easy task, but we had it by the next morning.