• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

van wrap question

grafixemporium

The industry standard is vertical? With all due respect, what industry book did you read that in? We -- meaning those of us here in these forums -- are the industry. We define the standards.

Industry or no industry, we do what looks the best, works the best, and last the longest. Fewer seams is a plus no matter how you slice it. Fewer seams means fewer opportunities for vinyl failure. It doesn't cost any more to do a good job. The easy way is not always the best way. That's why it boggles my mind when I see a wrapped pickup truck with a vertical seam running down the middle of the bed... or a vertical seam running down the center of a door. I see it all the time.

We often print a single horizontal panel... especially when we can get the whole vehicle side in one piece with a 54" printer. Makes for an incredibly fast and flawless install with NO seams.

mzick

I agree that it would look better with a seam @ the bottom near the rocker panel. Are you installing the 54" panel 1st then the filler panel?? If so then your overlap is going in the wrong direction.....industry standard.

This is just turned into your pissing match over an individual who asked for some advise. Give it and let it go....the guy seems to be very new @ this and wanted to know what was easiest to install by himself with out any help. If he wants more info, he can pm any of us and I am sure we would be happy to help.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat!!!

I'm done here!!

ProWraps

Are you installing the 54" panel 1st then the filler panel?? If so then your overlap is going in the wrong direction.....industry standard.
heh so i wasnt the only one that noticed that.

sorry grafixemporium. i forgot YOU are the industry standard, pdaa, and uasg and the rest of us be damned. ill make sure to remember that next time.

wrapman jamz

Standard? I prefer to do it "manually"

Hmmm. how about "no" seams

Attachments

• 100_5432.gif
    100_5432.gif
    158.6 KB · Views: 153

wrapman jamz

If you run a truck thru a wind tunnel, does the wind blow down on the sides or up?

I guess you'd have to asertain the direction of wind travel before mounting the lower or upper panel of a horizontal installation.

Or you could apply a 1 inch overlap "seal" of the clear overlam used on the prints.

Or a piece of masking tape will do. LOL

ProWraps

If you run a truck thru a wind tunnel, does the wind blow down on the sides or up?

I guess you'd have to asertain the direction of wind travel before mounting the lower or upper panel of a horizontal installation.

Or you could apply a 1 inch overlap "seal" of the clear overlam used on the prints.

Or a piece of masking tape will do. LOL
water is the problem of seems that face up. not the wind.

unfortunately for the OP this thread is worthless. you show me a cargo van you can do in one peice, and ill get on board. sorry toyota tundras dont count. nor do grapphhhhizzxx emporiums example of a truck (read up johnny, this thread is about a cargo van, not your truck example).

until then, call rob ivers, and tell him that the people on this thread are now the industry authority. cause he, and all the others that have more experience than everyone here combined clearly dont know wth they are talking about when they recommend vertical seems.

if you prefer horizontal seams, then do them. and please point the seam upward. we love new customers.

like mzick, im done with the thread.

grafixemporium

Sorry I forgot if you stick the work PRO in your name I guess it automatically makes you one.

Bottom panel goes on first. We usually clear strip the seam anyway on cargo vans, so it doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing or the water is flowing. The OP asked a question, I offered my opinion. Is that not allowed around here anymore? I guess if I change my name to GFX PRO WRAPS my opinion will be more valid? Our customers are very pleased with our work, johnny... so don't hold your breath.

kev3232

well you know, PRO IS fellers certified! so i guess it makes him a PRO regardless.
oh, and it's "seams" not "seems"

hey PRO, what about the first panel on a box truck?? isn't that edge facing the wind and rain?? also, what about cut lettering?? they all have edges facing the wind..
if you are post heating your seams, i don't think it matters which way the seam faces

we're getting "prowraps of oregon" trademarked shortly!