• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wraps

tonywhittier

If your getting into doing vehicle wraps, what are the essentials besides a printer/cutter? Whats the best brands and kinds of equipment to purchase?

cdiesel

What I'm saying is you might be well served to gain some knowledge of the industry you want to enter before doing so.

MontereySigns

Vehicle Wrap Business in 3 Easy Steps

1) Have lots of money in the bank because your going to lose money on every wrap until you figure it out and make it profitable.

2) Find a local supplier of sign-making equipment and supplies that can service your equipment, help you with software, and coach you into the wrap business.

3) Wrap your own vehicle for advertising. Make it good and it will be your best marketing.

-Bud

shakey0818

From your previous post it seems like you don't know what direction you wanna go in,school,sign making job,buying equipment.Seems to me like you need to make a plan.If your serious about wanting to get into the sign business I would definitely get a premium membership and read as many posts and threads as you can.Any questions you might have is nothing compared to the questions you will have after reading all the threads.There are many people here that have been around a long time and i am willing to bet the successful ones didn't jump into it with blinders on.Good luck with whatever you do.Make sure you get The Equipment Guys Telephone number he will gladly buy your equipment if it don't work out.

Christian @ 2CT Media

HP L25500 Printer, GCC Jaguar IV Cutter, Seal PRO S Laminator, and ONYX X10 Postershop. You're also going to need ADOBE CS and possibly Corel.

For wrap tools we live by Propane self ignition torches, 3M Gold Squeeges, and Geek Wrap magnets. You're also going to need a few rolls of tape (3M 233+), a good knife like a OLFA with the black blades (Be careful on glass), a pin tool, Microfiber rags, and lots of denatured.

MontereySigns

HP L25500 Printer, GCC Jaguar IV Cutter, Seal PRO S Laminator, and ONYX X10 Postershop. You're also going to need ADOBE CS and possibly Corel.

For wrap tools we live by Propane self ignition torches, 3M Gold Squeeges, and Geek Wrap magnets. You're also going to need a few rolls of tape (3M 233+), a good knife like a OLFA with the black blades (Be careful on glass), a pin tool, Microfiber rags, and lots of denatured.

+1

tonywhittier

Thanks everyone for the replies :thankyou:

Obviously I'm not going to jump head first into this adventure with out knowing a little bit about it, but you know you have to start somewhere right?

njshorts

Thanks everyone for the replies :thankyou:

Obviously I'm not going to jump head first into this adventure with out knowing a little bit about it, but you know you have to start somewhere right?

That's the truth!

Get some help from a local wrapper, and most importantly... buy your materials from someone who already has a printer. You can order exactly what you need (even for practice!) and not have to worry about the initial outlay, plus the learning curve of the print process and install process at the same time.

CheapVehicleWrap

Don't forget an updated version of WrapDesigner 2011 and an HP AutoGraphicInstaller 6500.

The 6500 sure is the bomb, but I'm too cheap to make the leap. The older models we use need to be flushed with literally gallons of alcohol on a daily basis throughout the day in order to keep running.

tonywhittier

With the Laminator, do you laminate every job?

Also do you prefer to have a combo printer/cutter or separate them out?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Anything going on a vehicle (save for decals) needs to be laminated or you will have a heck of a time installing and a very unhappy customer.

I hate print/cut combos simply because they are slower than most setups that are individual processes. Also why tie up one machine to do two separate processes? Also, why would you want to remove the material from the machine to laminate, only to put it back in that machine? All-in-all I find a separated printer and cutter much more efficient than a all in one printer/cutter.

MikePro

if you even have to ask if you need to laminate everything... ijdk
sounds like you'd be better off starting with design/install and outsource your prints to someone else until you get a decent client base/experience.

tonywhittier

if you even have to ask if you need to laminate everything... ijdk
sounds like you'd be better off starting with design/install and outsource your prints to someone else until you get a decent client base/experience.

Well wheres the best place to learn this? I thought that's what forums are for. I'm not going to go spend $60,000 on equipment and think I know what I'm doing. It seems like everyone here knew exactly what they were doing from day 1 and didn't have to learn or ask questions about single bit of it. Unfortunately I'm not that lucky and I have to ask a few questions to understand the business.

For those of you that took this thread with an ounce of maturity and responded with a serious answer, I really do appreciate it.