• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wraps

njshorts

Well wheres the best place to learn this? I thought that's what forums are for. I'm not going to go spend $60,000 on equipment and think I know what I'm doing. It seems like everyone here knew exactly what they were doing from day 1 and didn't have to learn or ask questions about single bit of it. Unfortunately I'm not that lucky and I have to ask a few questions to understand the business.

For those of you that took this thread with an ounce of maturity and responded with a serious answer, I really do appreciate it.

oh, lots of learning... lots of failing... personally, i'm self taught with a couple of bits of help here and there. it was a lot more expensive way to do it- back in 2006, bought 20k worth of equipment, went through over 2k in materials waste... but in time, it'll happen. Just do yourself a favour (from experience), get the install part down before having to learn how to run the new machines and software.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I worked for 200th Largest fleet in the US, in 2005 they decided to Bring their vehicle graphics in house. Through crash course Trial and Error, I slowly learned the ins and outs, with lots of waste luckily on someone elses dime.

In 2009, I started my own company outsourcing my prints. In August of 2010 I teamed up with business partner who has 8 years of experience on the install side, who has taught me alot of the tricks I know and use today.

http://www.justinpate.net/blog/tag/video-car-wrap-training/ is a good knowledge base to start with for simple training.

jc1cell

Well wheres the best place to learn this?

The following will guide you towards where you can learn vehicle wraps.

I worked for 200th Largest fleet in the US, in 2005 they decided to Bring their vehicle graphics in house. Through crash course Trial and Error, I slowly learned the ins and outs, with lots of waste luckily on someone elses dime.

I thought that's what forums are for

Forum is here as help amongst peers in the daily operation of a business and in the technical aspects of the work being done. Also, to guide others towards the proper decisions when wanting to learn the trade.

I commend you for your desire to get a business going. Some here have already taken the step in doing so, others like myself are forced to hold a regular job while trying to push a business forward. We all have been through the stage of learning, some, as njshorts, have dived(sp?) in head first while some of us have learned by working for others.

Whichever way you go, do your due diligence. Take advice from people who know what they are doing. And above all, practice, practice, practice. You an loose a lot of money on vehicle wraps with the mistakes that can happen.

This forum is an excellent resource. Those who didn't take the thread seriously have their reasons...a lot of history here with these kinds of questions. I for one, appreciate all their input and, to be quite honest, enjoy the humor that goes on here. It can get lengthy, but it is witty.

Cheers and good luck with your venture.

jc

Dan Antonelli

I think it's interesting that this whole thread deals with the mechanics and equipment necessary to print and install a wrap, yet no one mentions the most important key to success, and that learning how to design.

That's actually what's wrong with this business. Too much emphasis on mechanics, not enough on design. And ironically, that's actually the most important key to your success.

The right equipment, the right laminator or the ability to physically wrap a vehicle will not make you successful if your design skills are nonexistent.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Design is very important, but its hard to direct someone on that issues over a forum thread. You can also source that through independent designers, like we often do.

phototec

I think it's interesting that this whole thread deals with the mechanics and equipment necessary to print and install a wrap, yet no one mentions the most important key to success, and that learning how to design.

That's actually what's wrong with this business. Too much emphasis on mechanics, not enough on design. And ironically, that's actually the most important key to your success.

The right equipment, the right laminator or the ability to physically wrap a vehicle will not make you successful if your design skills are nonexistent.

Dan is 1000% correct, the cost of any given wrap is the same weather it's good, better or best, the main difference is the design. Printer, ink, media, laminate, install, are all the same for a good design or a bad design.

There are a whole lot of bad designs driving around these days, some folks think they can through a bunch of skulls, flames or AG graphics on a vehicle and call it a wrap, without knowing anything at all about graphic design...

:goodpost: Dan

tonywhittier

I've done various graphic design's before in Photoshop. The biggest learning curve for me will be learning either AI or Corel. So I guess since were talking about this, whats your opinions on either AI or Corel?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've done various graphic design's before in Photoshop. The biggest learning curve for me will be learning either AI or Corel. So I guess since were talking about this, whats your opinions on either AI or Corel?

If you are only going to do your own design work either AI or Draw will get you the same results.

If you are going to handle other designer's files Illustrator will be the better choice. Almost no one will ever send you a CDR but you will get PDF, EPS and AI files all the time. AI will do a better job opening these up (most of the time).
Illustrator also has tie-ins with Photoshop that Draw lacks - if you use things like vector smart objects.
Draw has some nice tools that are not in AI and has a much larger workspace and bitmap raster limit above what is offered in AI.

If you have the funds and time to spend learning get both.

wayne k
guam usa

MikePro

Well wheres the best place to learn this? I thought that's what forums are for. I'm not going to go spend $60,000 on equipment and think I know what I'm doing. It seems like everyone here knew exactly what they were doing from day 1 and didn't have to learn or ask questions about single bit of it. Unfortunately I'm not that lucky and I have to ask a few questions to understand the business.

For those of you that took this thread with an ounce of maturity and responded with a serious answer, I really do appreciate it.

ummmm, ok.
if you REALLY want a great place to start, go to a convention. See printers at work and allow the sales reps to tailor a sale to your needs.

If you took these forums the slightest bit "serious" upon joining then you would have noticed how to initially use the search function for help with your answers. Challenge me to do so and I'll list at least 12 threads on your same topic with plenty of information to get you started and dozens more that will blow your mind with information that most of the posters here don't feel the need to repeat any and all information to yourself and dozens more like you that want to start a thread, get force fed information, and never come back to contribute.

Outsourcing is STILL the best advice I can give to most people that don't realize that when you're not printing.... these wide format printers still bleed money. Inks cycle into the waste bucket, $1000 printheads fail (there's at least 4), and media gets expensive when you get a head strike in the middle of a print and have to redo it all. (o, there's more -$$$)

$60k in equipment is not the greatest option when you're just trying to dive into the market AND have no background in design software.

another question?
Adobe Design Premium package, hands-down.
more questions?
follow this link

Last edited:

cdiesel

You guys must've missed my mention of the newest version of WrapDesigner 2011!

And Phototec, I take issue with you saying that the cost of a wrap is the same for good/better/best. For the most part, the guys doing shoddy print work and who can't install, also can't design. They also tend to charge less.

WrapperX

Look into a Wrap Seminar - it will give you the basics for a beginer - although most individuals in a wrap seminar have at least table experience so they have handled vinyl before and know how to deal with small problems for signs and that sort. Those basic techniques and experiences ARE actually helpful when you start dealing with large amounts of vinyl for vehicle wraps.

As far as your position - if you are starting your own business - how do you plan on doing designs, sales, Admin stuff and installation all by yourself? Sure, is it possible - yes - but there's more to owning a business then buying the equipment and opening the doors. A wrap takes at best for an experienced wrapper 4 - 8 HOURS depending on the job and it's complexities to complete. Who's gonna be manning your counter and sales when you're knee deep in wads of vinyl? Who's gonna be servicing your customers design questions when your face deep in paperwork trying to figure out overhead and the best price for this job or that? Who's gonna be running the printer/cutter when your out deliverying yesterdays sign production.

Just somethings to be thinking about - if it's just you - say goodbye to 9-5/M-F and any sort of life outside of your shop. I've been there, I tried the self ownership - it was a GREAT feeling - and in a few years when I'm older and I'm a little more stable I would seriously consider doing it again. BUT it comes with a very large price tag.

Good luck!

phototec

You guys must've missed my mention of the newest version of WrapDesigner 2011!

And Phototec, I take issue with you saying that the cost of a wrap is the same for good/better/best. For the most part, the guys doing shoddy print work and who can't install, also can't design. They also tend to charge less.

Chris, you are exactly right, the guys doing shoddy print work and who can't install, also can't design, that is a fact as well, my point is also true, ALL wraps cost the same for materials, meaning if you exclude the design part, the print time, ink, media, etc, are the same costs independent of the design work, good or bad.

You are right to add that there are shoddy installs as well, I was making reference between a good design and a bad design, take the same print time, ink, lamination, etc.

:thumb:

TedNes

Dan is 10,000% correct. I sell equipment and materials, and see many customers buying a printer for the first time thinking they are going to make a mint doing vehicle wraps....

The vinyl companies perpetuate this myth at the Sign Shows by showing wraps live in their booths. From what I see, all the emphasis in a customer's mind is put on getting said vinyl to lay down on a vehicle, not on the steps beforehand, or afterwards.

A few things to consider are;
- Who do you have in your shop to "sell" vehicle wraps?
- Do you understand the differences in materials offered?----cast vs calendered, air egress liners and adhesives, choice of laminates, etc.
- Do you have an installation bay in your shop, or will you be at the mercy of the elements outdoors?
- What design talents do you have?--Are you good at working in PhotoShop?---do you understand working with images?

My company gets caught up in the "Wrap Hype" as well----we put on VERY WELL ATTENDED/SOLD OUT vehicle wrap seminars ALL THE TIME in conjunction with a major vinyl manufacturer, and the focus is 99.9% on wrapping the vehicle.

Really, you need to know;
How to Sell a vehicle wrap based on value, not price
How to Layout a vehicle wrap properly to create maximum value and impact
How to print/panel a vehicle wrap---know where breaks are in a vehicle, trouble spots, etc.
Print the wrap. Let dry/cure. Laminate the wrap. Cut the wrap.
Prep/clean the vehicle.
Start the install. Do the install. Complete the install.
Deliver the vehicle.
Collect the dough.
...and that's just the tip of the iceberg....

Where do you go to learn all this----there's a school called "Hard Knocks" out there I hear....;)

Seriously though, I've been all over different printer manufacturers and RIPs, etc to partner with us at tradeshows over the years and present "the whole wrap story", not just wrap a car in a booth.

Guess what?----very little buy-in on their end, and sadly, very little buy-in on our customers end as well.....4 years ago at a show, we had one of the best presenters in the business in our booth in conjunction with a very popular RIP and printer....when the seminars started, we had one or two customers sit in on the "how to sell a wrap", another 2 or 3 in the "Wrap layout and design" portion, and a whopping zero sit in on "how to print and panel a wrap". When our installer tackled the actual wrap of the car itself, the booth was jammed, people were ooooh'ing and awww'ing over the installers talents, and there were questions aplenty...

From a supplier/distributor point of view, trust me----we can feel just as frustrated as you do when it comes to education and learning.....

:Canada 2:

WrapperX

....A few things to consider are;
- Who do you have in your shop to "sell" vehicle wraps?
- Do you understand the differences in materials offered?----cast vs calendered, air egress liners and adhesives, choice of laminates, etc.
- Do you have an installation bay in your shop, or will you be at the mercy of the elements outdoors?
- What design talents do you have?--Are you good at working in PhotoShop?---do you understand working with images?

My company gets caught up in the "Wrap Hype" as well----we put on VERY WELL ATTENDED/SOLD OUT vehicle wrap seminars ALL THE TIME in conjunction with a major vinyl manufacturer, and the focus is 99.9% on wrapping the vehicle.

Really, you need to know;
How to Sell a vehicle wrap based on value, not price
How to Layout a vehicle wrap properly to create maximum value and impact
How to print/panel a vehicle wrap---know where breaks are in a vehicle, trouble spots, etc.
Print the wrap. Let dry/cure. Laminate the wrap. Cut the wrap.
Prep/clean the vehicle.
Start the install. Do the install. Complete the install.
Deliver the vehicle.
Collect the dough.
...and that's just the tip of the iceberg....

This is so correct! I'm an installer and I know the value of a designer and a sales rep that know the details of how to sell and design a wrap! Far to often the sales rep just wants the dollar so they'll say anything to a customer to sell the job then it's up to the designer to make all those promises come true - which is the easy part because on paper and on screen it doesn't seem complicated but when that 2D image becomes a physical print and it's up to the installer to apply that 2D image to a 3D object - believe me - it gets complicated real fast if they don't know or plan for it. Having a sales rep that understand what can and can not be done is immensly valuable. The value of a designer to stop the sales rep and say - That's not possible and here's why is beyond helpful. Like I said earlier - you can't just buy some equipment and open the doors. And if you are - expect to have LOTS of growing pains and a large bank roll to fund a non profit shop for a few years.

TedNes

I drive by a shop on the weekends---kind of a customer of ours--- en rt to my summer place up north.......he has a sign out front proclaiming "Vehicle Wraps starting at $995"......

I want to burn that sign every time I see it.....

speedmedia

AMEN DAN! We lose projects all of the time to shops in the area that cobble together some piece of garbage Aurora graphics background with some fancy fonts they got on some cd at Office Max only to see them driving down the road doing that company not a bit of good. Actually in many cases it damages their reputations. I guess the best part is many of these end up coming to us after they realize what that few hundred dollars they saved really hurt them.

Thanks,
Kurt

grafixemporium

Dan nailed it. Step 1 for anyone thinking of getting into any aspect of the printing business... learn how to design or hire an experienced designer with some pre-press knowledge. That goes for digital printing, plotting, offset, screen printing, embroidery, whatever. DESIGN IS EVERYTHING. That might as well be a sticky on every category on S101. It makes me physically ill to see some of the "work" coming out of all the new startups lately.

grafixemporium

Dan is 10,000% correct. I sell equipment and materials, and see many customers buying a printer for the first time thinking they are going to make a mint doing vehicle wraps....

I would consider our shop among the best in Texas when it comes to quality of design, print and installation. That's not ego... that's just reality. I know what's out there and my goal from day 1 was to be in the top tier... whether we wrap 1 car a month or 50. We do a good amount of work and we are good at what we do. I assure you, we are not making a "mint". It's hard work. It's long hours. I have 20+ years of design experience behind me and 10+ years of installation experience behind my head installer. This is not a game and I don't have money falling out of my ass. Let that be a deterrant to all those who think they can lease a printer and jump into the biz.