• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Application To Coroplast

kroger

Is there any easy method or trick to apply cut vinyl to coroplast in any thickness? I have done many of these with wet application, still bubbles and recently with dry application and still bubbles. It doesn't matter how tight I pull the mask or squeegee. Although yesterday I did the last part with a wet application and found that if I squeegee the crap out of it after I remove the tape it seemed to work the best on 10 mm hi core. I find this with aluminum as well. Any ideas? Thanks.

rjssigns

Is there any easy method or trick to apply cut vinyl to coroplast in any thickness? I have done many of these with wet application, still bubbles and recently with dry application and still bubbles. It doesn't matter how tight I pull the mask or squeegee. Although yesterday I did the last part with a wet application and found that if I squeegee the crap out of it after I remove the tape it seemed to work the best on 10 mm hi core. I find this with aluminum as well. Any ideas? Thanks.

Get yourself a Big Squeegee. No bubbles, no water, and super fast.

signsourcellc

wet!!! if theres still bubbles check soap

If there is still bubbles you are probly not getting all the water out. I use water with dawn dish soap and it seems to work perfect. If your still getting bubbles even after you lay it use a roller and try to work them out. but I would try a little more soap just a few drops and see if that helps. I have done it multiple times on coro and it always works for me. Worth a try

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bubbles are virtually always the result of improper squeegee technique. Including Coroplast. Wet or dry although, other than specific circumstances, there is no real reason to apply wet.

The fundamental squeegee principle is to never squeegee over unplowed ground. In or words, you always start a squeegee stroke COMPLETELY on the previous stroke and end that stroke with a portion of the squeegee still on the previous stroke. Start the first stroke almost all the way off the vinyl and end it with about half the squeegee on the vinyl. Start the next stroke on the last stroke and angle it such that the stroke ends with part of the squeegee still on the previous stroke. Secondly, you need a goodly amount of pressure on the squeegee. You cannot reasonably squeegee too hard.

Perfect your squeegee technique and bubbles will not be a problem.

kroger

If there is still bubbles you are probly not getting all the water out. I use water with dawn dish soap and it seems to work perfect. If your still getting bubbles even after you lay it use a roller and try to work them out. but I would try a little more soap just a few drops and see if that helps. I have done it multiple times on coro and it always works for me. Worth a try

Thanks. Do you always use dawn and water instead of rapid tac for wet applications?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, learn the proper squeegee technique or just use a 'Speed Press'. They do remarkably well. No bubbles and a whole sign in one shot.

Techman

hanks. Do you always use dawn and water instead of rapid tac for wet applications?

No,, you do not need anything like this. Especially adding more dish soap to water is not the answer in any way.

As said above. Good squeegee techniques will get your vinyl to lie flat and bubble free. Personally I have not used any liquid on coro signs in over 15 years.

signsourcellc

Thanks. Do you always use dawn and water instead of rapid tac for wet applications?
Yes I have always done it that way. Only dawn dish soap tho no other brand. Dawn doesnt have a certian chemical that most soaps have. My shop has been around for 20+ years and always used dawn and water.

Mosh

Do a tape hinge, when you squeegie go across the flutes not with them. I do it dry all the time. In fact I have not done a wet app in years.

reQ

I do all coro signs with big squeegee tool. Works every time, no bubbles and only takes about 1 minute to align your graphics & 1 min to apply.
As for wet application on coro, its a no-no, strictly my opinion.

phototec

The Big Squeegee makes a special Yard Sign Tool with two special edges, one for applying ape tape and the other for applying the vinyl to Coroplas, it works great dry, no bubbles.....

[video=youtube;uOWPBFRhlf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOWPBFRhlf4[/video]

GoodPeopleFlags

I apply dry and don't usually get bubbles in coro but when I do get them from time to time, I don't sweat it. It's a coro sign. Sure, big ones I'll pop but not gonna spend time getting every little one.

kroger

I usually apply the vinyl with the flutes that are horizontal. Yesterday I used precut coroplast with the flutes verticle, that worked great. So I guess squeegee opposite to the flutes as someone did mention. Thanks for the great tips. Will have to buy a large squeegee too.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Laminator. For coro, pvc, dibond, acrylic, MDO, etc. etc. Work smart, not hard.