• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl in a Bathroom Tub Enclosure

2xcapers

Hey there,

Anyone know if Vinyl will hold up in a tub enclosure? Its something that someone wants, just curious if it will last in there.

If anyone knows please let me know. Also what brand/quality would work best.

Thanks.

signgal

Why wouldn't it? If it lasts on a boat... They wouldn't be able to use chemicals to clean the enclosure, I should think...

SignManiac

If it's a fiberglass, glass or plastic enclosure, I don't think you would have a problem if using a good cast vinyl and the owner uses reasonable common sense in cleaning. Boats are lettered everyday and subjected to pretty harsh conditions and they hold up okay. Just make sure the owner knows that it's not completely indestructible.

sjm

I'd be cautious, soap film, mildew ... varying temperatures hot vs cold. Seams, cocking those sort of things come to my mind immediately.

B Snyder

I applied printed, calendared, non-laminated decals to my 3 year old daughter's bowls and cups and they've held up remarkably well after 100's of runs through the dishwasher.

sjm

Yah, but that's not a 4'x8' decal. I too have produced small decals that been placed in harsher environments trouble free.

Just err on the side of caution. Would you produce a vehicle wrap less laminate and have it power washed?

B Snyder

Who's asking about a 4'x8' decal?
Who power washes their shower?

MY dishwasher subjects MY decals to a harsher environment than MY shower does. That's really all I'm saying.

sjm

Who's asking about a 4'x8' decal?
Who power washes their shower?

MY dishwasher subjects MY decals to a harsher environment than MY shower does. That's really all I'm saying.

Your daughter with all respect doesn't understand a good decal from a bad one. Your client does.

B Snyder

Are you drunk-typing?

Nobody said anything about a 4x8 decal, nobody said anything about power washing a non-laminated wrap and, even though you are incorrect in your guess about my daughter's AND my client's decal judging capabilities, I only offered MY observation about the durability of MY decals.

sjm

Are you drunk-typing?

Nobody said anything about a 4x8 decal, nobody said anything about power washing a non-laminated wrap and, even though you are incorrect in your guess about my daughter's AND my client's decal judging capabilities, I only offered MY observation about the durability of MY decals.

Excuse me, what size decal would go on a bathroom enclosure? A decal the size that you put on dish? Surely it's you who needs to rethink what they write.

I think if you offer advise make it pertinent to the task at hand ...

J Hill Designs

jezum crow quit with the pissing match - I too feel that if an unlaminated decal can make it through 100's of dish washings, then yes, it is pertinent...hot water, soap, etc...same same.

B Snyder

Excuse me, what size decal would go on a bathroom enclosure? A decal the size that you put on dish? Surely it's you who needs to rethink what they write.

I think if you offer advise make it pertinent to the task at hand ...

So that's a yes?

You'll have to ask the OP what size decal he speaks of, not that its relevant. A decal's size has no correlation to the strength of it's adhesive. Whether he wraps a shower stall or applies a couple of plotter cut flowers to it either will hold up as well or better than if he placed the same decals in a 190F degree dishwasher using a detergent full of phosphates.

The OP got his answer. I'm out.

Last edited:

2xcapers

thanks folks,

Just got up. Had backshift so thinker wasn't really on. Its a 2X5 ft decal.

Also your correct it holds up on a boat , however, the heat and soap had me questioning.

Then as a poster said "dishwasher" My sons hockey bottle did the complete season at the rink and through the dishwasher. Extreme heat, pulsing water and harsh soap.

Thanks folks. You answered what I knew just didn't put all the pieces of the answer together.

A great place to share knowledge or realign your own. lol

sjm

jezum crow quit with the pissing match - I too feel that if an unlaminated decal can make it through 100's of dish washings, then yes, it is pertinent...hot water, soap, etc...same same.

No pissing match, 100's to me means as little as about 3 months worth of running that decal through a dishwasher. I agreed for that length of time I had placed a similar decal in harsher conditions.

Perhaps if a decal had to last 5 years one would use a 1,000 of times. Better said if you are confident it will last 5 years come out and say it. Then again it's not your money with all due respect.

I-Style

The question was nut durability it was is it possible!

I just start to get tiered of answers like that.

sjm

The question was nut durability it was is it possible!

I just start to get tiered of answers like that.

Read the opening post.

Anyone know if Vinyl will hold up in a tub enclosure? Its something that someone wants, just curious if it will last in there.

What does hold up mean to you sir?

saktrnch

I applied printed, calendared, non-laminated decals to my 3 year old daughter's bowls and cups and they've held up remarkably well after 100's of runs through the dishwasher.

What did you print on? The oracal that I've tried was pretty sporadic in the dishwasher.

I-Style

@jsm read it , hold up is for me the adhesion of the foil not the time the print will stay on!!!

if i miss understood the question than i'm sorry but still no reason to become rude and piss around, is just the general tone in here everybody thinks he was born as a sign maker and never asked questions.

I believe there are no stupid questions only stupid answers or do you all think newbies ask questions because the have nothing better to do?
And most of the time it would be the same time to answer the question than to say search the forum...