• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl mounting speed contest anyone?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Prize for the contest?

Whats the prize for the fastest time?
In the past, Prizes were donated well into the contest. I think this has been a good strategy. I have awarded prizes to the top contenders of past contests even though the contests had nothing to do with my product.

Put forth your best effort and the prizes will reflect your effort.

GARY CULY

Vynle Olypics...lmao! Good One
Ill Try The "x-acto Into Finger Stabbing/palm/off-table-to-toe/anywhere -on -body" Division ....guarentee Ill Get A Podium On That!
That Funny Thing Ive Read On Here In A Bit..o Printer Stop Gotta Go!!!

S

Sign-Man Signs

It's kind of funny how things are conceived in different parts of the country. I used flood coat because I saw someone else use it that way. Glad we got that cleared up:tongue: Now we can get back to what the thread is all about. I hope:Oops:

Gee sorry for being so unprofessional and not knowing what flooding a sign means. There's no such thing as a flood stroke when you apply vinyl to a sign. Vinyl isn't liquid is it? So get off your "I'm offended high horse" and get on with the contest. There is no way the Big Squeege will out perform the Speed Press. (Speed Press) Cut, weed, roll, apply. (Big Squeege) Cut, weed, load Big Squuege, apply transfer tape, apply, pull transfer tape off.
I'm sure the Big Squeege is a nice piece, but when I need speed, I used old style application or speed press.
So, if you still want a contest, I'm game. When, where, and how.

iSign

Gee sorry for being so unprofessional and not knowing what flooding a sign means. There's no such thing as a flood stroke when you apply vinyl to a sign. Vinyl isn't liquid is it? So get off your "I'm offended high horse" and get on with the contest. There is no way the Big Squeege will out perform the Speed Press.

christ what a crybaby... are you offended that easy?
you ask a stupid question, and then when you hadn't succedded in derailing the entire conversation to your arrogent nit-picky self important little issue... you ask it again....

...now that the huge misunderstanding :rolleyes: is finally resolved, you got attitude because Dale says "glad we got that cleared up" with a smiley face & then wants to get back to his thread?

You're coming off like a first rate fool in your posts here, so before you dig yourself deeper, you might consider that most folks here can actually read.

When you write "flooding a sign" and then "a flood stroke" ... when that was not what was written, how does that strengthen your little whiney "I'm right, he's wrong" agenda?

...you want to salvage any respect with you haughty macho claims? I nominate you to produce the first video & put your speedpress machismo where your mouth is.... out in public for the judging :rolleyes:

Regardless of your little semantics inquisition, Dale is a sponsor of this site, and his product produces rave reviews from virtually everyone here who has used it.... that should wake up even the most dense of the disbelievers. I credit him for an entirely good natured attempt at bringing some more fun to signs101.

I credit you for more childish, stick-in-the-mud folly... but hey, give us something more to judge here.... otherwise be judged for your words.

jiarby

signman...
(Big Squeege) Cut, weed, load Big Squuege, apply transfer tape, apply, pull transfer tape off.

We don't apply transfer tape when using the big squeegee. Maybe a laminate depending on the job, but usually just mount the print naked right onto the substrate.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Talking apples and oranges?

signman...

We don't apply transfer tape when using the big squeegee. Maybe a laminate depending on the job, but usually just mount the print naked right onto the substrate.
We don't need to apply transfer tape to prints. We still have to use transfer tape on cut vinyl. I think we are talking about 2 different process here and possibly 2 different catagories for the compitition.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Bump

Okay, I guess we need to discuss what handy cap to place on the Speed Press to give it a chance to show in this contest. Any ideas?

Don't want this to be just a contest for the fastest Big Squeegee...lol

S

Sign-Man Signs

christ what a crybaby... are you offended that easy?
No.
you ask a stupid question, and then when you hadn't succedded in derailing the entire conversation to your arrogent nit-picky self important little issue... you ask it again....
No actually I was asking an honest question when he said "Flood a 18 x 24 Coroplast" So anybody that asks a"Stupid Question" and really would like an answer, is arrogant, nit picky, according to you.
My bad.

...now that the huge misunderstanding :rolleyes: is finally resolved, you got attitude because Dale says "glad we got that cleared up" with a smiley face & then wants to get back to his thread?
Adding a smiley face doesn't prove that you weren't trying to be-little someone when asked a question about what you posted trying to cover the fact that you don't know what your talking about.
You're coming off like a first rate fool in your posts here, so before you dig yourself deeper, you might consider that most folks here can actually read.
Most people can read. Some people can read but really don't understand what they are reading, like in your case. Posting thousands of posts does not make you an expert on anything, just says you have a lot of time on your hands to post smart ass replies.

When you write "flooding a sign" and then "a flood stroke" ... when that was not what was written, how does that strengthen your little whiney "I'm right, he's wrong" agenda?
Wasn't trying to prove who was right or wrong, just wanting a clairification of the process presented.
...you want to salvage any respect with you haughty macho claims? I nominate you to produce the first video & put your speedpress machismo where your mouth is.... out in public for the judging :rolleyes:
I don't need to salvage anything. I don't use Dales product and I'm sure it works well for people that haven't gotten the hang of applying transfer tape to CUT VINYL, not prints. Instead of a video tape, let's do it at the Orlando Show. I could cheat on a video, being all haughty macho and all.

Regardless of your little semantics inquisition, Dale is a sponsor of this site, and his product produces rave reviews from virtually everyone here who has used it.... that should wake up even the most dense of the disbelievers. I credit him for an entirely good natured attempt at bringing some more fun to signs101.
Being a dense dis-believer of an item that is supposed to be the best thing since Jesus Christ, I still believe Dales heart was in the right place, and thank him for trying to put together a contest.
I credit you for more childish, stick-in-the-mud folly... but hey, give us something more to judge here.... otherwise be judged for your words.
Thank you for the reply which ment nothing other than to boost your low ego. By the way, ever used a Speed Press? If you had, you would know your fighting a losing battle. But that's just me again, whinning, arrogant, crying, macho, dense, childish, stick in the mud, and oh, yea stupid. Thanks for all the names. "Otherwise be judged by your words". Great quote!
Now go away ,you bore me...............
:Sleeping:

SignosaurusRex

..."We now return to the regular scheduled programing"....I've got a little gold squeegee thats jumping up and down for some additional hot attention. I'm always up for a game or two!:Big Laugh

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I'm thinking about putting up a $1500 grand prize.

I'm also thinking that it should be like a triathalon consisting of 3 signs.
  • weeding to mounting a cut vinyl sign (18 X 24)
  • mounting a full coverage print or colored vinyl on coroplast (18 X 24)
  • mount cut vinyl on a 3' X 8' banner. Finishing with grommets not required

I think these are the most common signs that are made in sign shops and will give everyone a chance to see how they can improve their operation.

This should give us about a 5-10 minute video

maxxgraphix

All the above.
4 x 8 coro flood or cut in under 2 minutes.
18 x 24's in 30 seconds.

No I don't use the Big Squigee or any squigee

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the sizes you are requiring are large enough to get accurate times. There will be so many that are almost the same time, that you'll either have a group tie or have to take this thing down to the 100th of a second for your results. Doing that would knock out the honor system of doing this. I believe you would need a more controlled process or environment for what you're presenting here.

S

Sign-Man Signs

I don't think the sizes you are requiring are large enough to get accurate times. There will be so many that are almost the same time, that you'll either have a group tie or have to take this thing down to the 100th of a second for your results. Doing that would knock out the honor system of doing this. I believe you would need a more controlled process or environment for what you're presenting here.

Good suggestion Gino. Dale, I'd save the $1500.00. Just may add a level of ,well let's say, not by the rules type of contest. I would suggest we keep it simple. Do your own video, with clock in back bround and maybe just do 4 or 5 18 x 24's already weeded. After your video at least you can reclaim the coroplast.

On a personal note: I would like apologize for any distrbance I have caused on this link and hope my actions don't kill the idea. I really just wanted to know what flooding a vinyl sign ment since I never heard the term.
:smile:

iSign

Here's a thought Dale,

Solicit your signs101 fans to contribute impressive speed demonstration videos to be supplied with good lighting, (& no cussing :rolleyes:) for the dual purpose of:

• showing off to our signs101 buddies, who may then be compelled by the early entries to "compete" by supplying later entries
  • competing to provide you with the most valuable promotional tool that would, by acceptance of the offer to compete, imply full release of rights to you for your future promotional use.

In this way, what you get out of it is hopefully some reusable promotional material, for which a first, second and third prize might be justified, & worthwhile for you.

What we get out of it is a simplified set of rules (make the video an impressive demo of the big squeegee, & make it functional for Dale's promotional use) ...and a chance to show off to our peers... and a possible shot at a prize for the most valuable promotional video for our sponsor.

Note that once a video is submitted, I'd encourage it to be posted immediately, & each "speed demo" should outline the parameters, so for example, if I see Fred with a jig already set up, 2 dozen 18x24 panels & a stack of laminated prints when he starts the clock... & then 38 minutes later he has a stack of product ready to go out the door....

I may have felt previously uninspired by the "contest" untill I am now driven to see if I can do the same thing in 37 minutes.

Maybe I do it in 39, but with a better camera angle, better lighting... I may be up for consideration of a prize... but nobody has to split hairs on quality, or if some 2 minute irregularity skewed the playing field in someone's favor.

I will commit to entering one video of some sort if this idea moves forward.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I realize that there my be some that will attempt to cheat as much as they think they can get by with. How would we know if a design in a design contest really belongs to the contributor? Cheating hurts everyone but the one that gets hurt the most is the one that has to live with the idea that he cheated. Is it truely a victory if one cheats?

I think it would be obvious if the frames get a little jerky or the movement is too fast. If we had some that close we could do a play off.

From the looks of it, it don't look like this will be a contest that will show the fastest application. It will be more who can think up the fastest preparation.

I think we should withhold the times until all the entries have been summited with a penalty of being disqualified for advertising it. in this way we can't use someone else's technique to create a better time. It will also encourage participants to do their best.

We should restrict the contestants to subscribers to signs101.

so for clarification is this a big squeegee contest or who can make the signs the quickest regardless of method?

my opinion is it should be the quickest regardless of method, if the big squeegee is the fastest you will have material for advertising showing the benefits in real life.

regardless people will see a variety of methods and for those that only know one method of application they will be exposed to many.