• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl that won't curl

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Does anyone know of a vinyl that when printed and contour cut with a full bleed can be depended on not to have the edges curl up where the full bleed was cut? Over the years I've tried a number of different products and had some successes and some failures but I don't know of a vinyl that I can be assured won't curl. I've had both good and bad experiences with Avery 1105 lots of initials, 3m high end something or other metallic, Oracal 3751 no initials, and others long forgotten, but none of these can be depended on not to curl.

Is there some secret stash of non-curling vinyl somewhere? Or is it futile to look?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this will help, but the proper laminate is supposed to prevent that from happening.

How much time is elapsing from instal time to curling time ??
Is it facing south or close to it ??
I've had some of the cheaper egress vinyls work, but not if it's dark colors.

dale911

President
If you print any vinyl with solvent and don’t let it outgas long enough before cutting, it will curl right off the backing paper. The higher the ink load, the worse it will be. I have even seen this happen with high ink loads of latex. No problems with UV cure inks. If you let it outgas long enough and this happens after lamination, you probably have too much tension on the laminator. The cuts then allow the extra tension in the lam to pull the vinyl up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
It also depends on ink load and drying times. We use a very cheap LG monomeric for labels. We cut through full bleed 320% print all the time. As long as we let it dry 24-48h before cutting, we don't get curling.

CanuckSigns

General formulations 6 mil semi rigid vinyl, guaranteed not to curl, and thick enough to not need laminate for decals and such. It comes in permanent and removable adhesive.