• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

virus checking software?

gabagoo

I run win 7 and have avg on it, but something is going on with this beast...every morning it takes longer and longer to get the software up and running. I have shut down many auto starting softwares, and I have no idea what this computer is doing for so long. have also run multiple checks using avg / malwarebytes / spybot and even Microsoft security essentials with no problems found. Run CC cleaner once a week too.

I remember a few years ago someone posted a virus program that worked un conjunction with malwarebytes. It did an amazing job...anyone remember what it was? I will try anything.

Techman

lose AVG, it is a well known bloated causer of problems in the geek world.

Avast is a much better choice.

Many of the lesser known brands are actually a generic version of one of several virus deflector titles with their own user interface.

Mcafee, nortons and now AVG have gone the route of bloatware and are well known for their problems.

CES020

Techman, what do you think about eset's NOD32? It used to be really good, but I haven't used it lately (switched over to Mac a few years ago), but it always seemed like it wasn't very intrusive.

I run win 7 and have avg on it, but something is going on with this beast...every morning it takes longer and longer to get the software up and running. I have shut down many auto starting softwares, and I have no idea what this computer is doing for so long. have also run multiple checks using avg / malwarebytes / spybot and even Microsoft security essentials with no problems found. Run CC cleaner once a week too.

I remember a few years ago someone posted a virus program that worked un conjunction with malwarebytes. It did an amazing job...anyone remember what it was? I will try anything.

I would hope that you are not running multiple anti-virus products on the same machine. Doing so will result in a myriad of problems, slowdowns, and conflicts (MalwareBytes is not an AV product, but Security Essentials and AVG are).

Techman

eset's NOD32

Is from an Eastern Europe group. Been around a long time since the late 80's. Very popular in Eastern Europe.
The NOD of the name was from some hospital show or something like that.
Just a point of fact. ESET made several modules for some microsoft products. And some MAC OS products.

JoeBoomer

The only spyware & removal software I run is the following.

- Malwarebytes (obviously...)
- CC Cleaner

If sh1t gets really crazy I will use:

- Combofix
- TDSKiller
- Whatever else bleepingcomputer.com tells me to

gabagoo

I would hope that you are not running multiple anti-virus products on the same machine. Doing so will result in a myriad of problems, slowdowns, and conflicts (MalwareBytes is not an AV product, but Security Essentials and AVG are).

Currently just running Microsoft security essential. I don't think I have any viruses, but something is taking almost 10 minutes every morning and slowing the computer down to a crawl. At this point in the day everything seems to be running fine. I just can't figure out what the comp is doing while that hard drive light stays on continually.

OldPaint

THAT SHOULD BE A clue.......... STUFF IS WORKING BEHIND THE SCREEN...
i have win7 pro, on a 2.8 gig quad core amd 4 gig ram machine..........i just added a SSD, 240 GIG for $109.00.
from hit the ON button to working desktop.........5-10 seconds at the most)))))
LOAD AVAST...........also run malware byteslllll you got crap using the page file.......
if your inclined to see how yours machine is working
CONTR ALT & DEL all the same time
will bring up a screen and you then pick TASK MANAGER.
in it you will find 6 tabs.....click on PERFORMANCE. the top line is your processor, 2nd line is ram being used.
processor shouldnt be doing more the 20-25%
ram should be flat lined......
other then this you got bugs in charge....

AF

Currently just running Microsoft security essential. I don't think I have any viruses, but something is taking almost 10 minutes every morning and slowing the computer down to a crawl. At this point in the day everything seems to be running fine. I just can't figure out what the comp is doing while that hard drive light stays on continually.

You need to check your task scheduler. So many crapware titles put scheduled startup tasks to check for updates that eventually you get the 10 minute startup hang. Each scheduled task that runs at startup delays startup until it completes, and if the item has a 2 minute (very common) response timer then it doesn't take more than 2 or 3 of those to lock up your machine for a while at boot. Google loves to put tasks that run at startup and have 2 minutes to fail, so find and turn those off. Java and Adobe is another (flash, shockwave etc). Makes a huge difference.

The other issue that is related is that if you use wifi (can happen with ethernet), Windows is trying to check for updates before it loads your network interface. Since the network interface isn't loaded, the update checker locks the boot process up until its failure timer expires (the 2 minutes mentioned above). When you boot your machine and you first see your desktop, your network should come up within a few seconds or there is a problem. The best cure, again, is to disable automatic updates and clear out scheduled tasks that occur at boot.

There are other areas that can slow it down, such as unnecessary processes that start with the machine so you can search for those and shut them down.

Security Essentials should be fine for virus detecting until it is no longer supported. Never use AVG, it will cause untold problems. Malware Bytes is evolving into bloatware, shame.

The quickest and easiest way to verify your machine is indeed affected by crapware startup issues is to boot into safe mode with networking and see how fast it loads. Hit F8 when you power on until you see the screen where you choose how to boot. This will load windows with your network active but nothing else. Should load in under 20 seconds unless you have a very slow hard drive.

gabagoo

You need to check your task scheduler. So many crapware titles put scheduled startup tasks to check for updates that eventually you get the 10 minute startup hang. Each scheduled task that runs at startup delays startup until it completes, and if the item has a 2 minute (very common) response timer then it doesn't take more than 2 or 3 of those to lock up your machine for a while at boot. Google loves to put tasks that run at startup and have 2 minutes to fail, so find and turn those off. Java and Adobe is another (flash, shockwave etc). Makes a huge difference.

The other issue that is related is that if you use wifi (can happen with ethernet), Windows is trying to check for updates before it loads your network interface. Since the network interface isn't loaded, the update checker locks the boot process up until its failure timer expires (the 2 minutes mentioned above). When you boot your machine and you first see your desktop, your network should come up within a few seconds or there is a problem. The best cure, again, is to disable automatic updates and clear out scheduled tasks that occur at boot.

There are other areas that can slow it down, such as unnecessary processes that start with the machine so you can search for those and shut them down.

Security Essentials should be fine for virus detecting until it is no longer supported. Never use AVG, it will cause untold problems. Malware Bytes is evolving into bloatware, shame.

The quickest and easiest way to verify your machine is indeed affected by crapware startup issues is to boot into safe mode with networking and see how fast it loads. Hit F8 when you power on until you see the screen where you choose how to boot. This will load windows with your network active but nothing else. Should load in under 20 seconds unless you have a very slow hard drive.

Thanks I think your dead on... after bootup and waiting the system runs fast all day... I have unchecked many programs using cc cleaner on the stratup tab, but most seem to be Microsoft or system programs, so I am a little fearful of shutting them off incase they are needed to boot the comp...

Lunatic Taskbar

You could try running Glary Utilities it shows you how long it takes to boot. On a sidenote i was experiencing slow boot ups on my win7 pro machine turned out to be a secondary HDD that was on its way out. removed it and was back to normal. But http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/ should show you how fast your booting, has a myriad of things it can do. Will also show you whats loading.

Ian

player

I recommend trying a scan with SuperAntiSpyware Free version. It will find a ton of stuff that regular Antivirus won't.