• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vista!!!!

PMG

Anyone have Vista yet,i was going to order my free cds today,just looking for some feedback!

Techman

Nope.. In fact there was a report just published. School sytems are advised not to instal vista or office 2k7.

The only thing new is the bitdefender and the interface. Each of which is not necessary for today's users.
If it comes on a new machine thats another story..
On the home front. I have not discussed this upgrade with any customers (yes i repair computers again). There simply is no desire to move to it plus spend the price of a new machine just to upgrade an old box to the VISTA needs..

PMG

If you bought a PC in between October of last year to around the release date of vista,you get vista as well,just need to send them my information,and they will ship the cds out to me!! The dates are...............................October 26, 2006 threw March 15, 2007,

too early of a release....

100% correct.

We had the last RC installed on our machine. Looks cool, good for home users, but for those in business.....

- MAJOR memory pig!
- Different protocols will create learning curve. (e.g - Where is file located, changing "permissions", program inplementation. Blah, blah, blah...more like the real NT)
- Most major sign software packages not ready for Vista yet.
- Older HASP for parallel ports no longer compatible (we still have an LPT dongle on one of our programs)

After a week of dual-booting and trying to implement Vista, we finally said "hell with it", and kept working with XP Pro - which now seems lightning quick as compared to Vista. As Shovel says: Too Early!

PMG

100% correct.

We had the last RC installed on our machine. Looks cool, good for home users, but for those in business.....

- MAJOR memory pig!
- Different protocols will create learning curve. (e.g - Where is file located, changing "permissions", program inplementation. Blah, blah, blah...more like the real NT)
- Most major sign software packages not ready for Vista yet.
- Older HASP for parallel ports no longer compatible (we still have an LPT dongle on one of our programs)

After a week of dual-booting and trying to implement Vista, we finally said "hell with it", and kept working with XP Pro - which now seems lightning quick as compared to Vista. As Shovel says: Too Early!
Very true,,seems ive herd this many times over as well when Xp came on the market,i didnt install that till just before the 2nd service pack!!!!

ChiknNutz

Yup, seems to NEW to use for production...maybe on a test machine. I try to stay away from the first release of just about anything like that.

PMG

yes i agree to all above,,but since i get this free(so called Upgrade) I'm ordering my free Vista now,that way i don't haft to pay for it down the road when the 1st service pack comes out!!

OldPaint

old computer programer told me this....waaaaaaay back when a 386DX40 was the asskicker computer......
ALWAYS STAY 1 VERSION BEHIND THE LATEST RELEASE!!!!!
reason bein that most are STILL BETA testing.....AND YOU BECOME THE TESTER!!!
ive done this since neil told me this and i have had less problems with all programs then most other people.
i stayed with 3.11 till 95B came out. i stayed with 95B till 98SE came out......NEVER EVEN ATEMPTED MILLENIUM, what a piece of crap that is.... stayed witn 98SE till XP rev1 came out......still runnin it on this machine, have XP HOME REV 2 on the wifes computer and XP PRO rev 2 on my laptop......and before i do VISTA...ill move to LINUX!!!!

Geary

reason bein that most are STILL BETA testing.....AND YOU BECOME THE TESTER!!!

Even though, they'll swear that they have 10,000 beta testers ON THE PAYROLL up there in Redmond, WA for such things.....your statement is true. I honestly believe that just LOVE making patches and upgrades.

Replicator

Just from my own knowledge - VISTA is more for the home user

than the business user, and from what I've been told by people on the inside,

once you install it, you will need to upgrade half the components in your system

that won't be compatible with VISTA . . . !

Tony Teveris

I have it installed on my 3ghz 2mb 64 bit Dell. I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS installed and executing Omega 2.6. For the most part I hated it in the beginning because lots of stuff has changed name, where you find it, etc. The UAC (User Account Control) will driver everyone nuts.I finally turned it off and everything I'm testing is running fine. I'm also beta testing Adobe CS3.

The 64 bit OS has different "rules" then it's 32 bit counterpart. All device drivers MUST be "signed" to pass security. If they are not "signed" they will not install / execute. Those with older computers that somehow pass the Vista update test will find a lack of drivers at least in the 64 bit world. Gerber's USB to Parallel driver is NOT "signed" and not sure if we will go through the process of getting it "signed".

On my machine every thing executes very fast, program load times are super. Omega's install loads in about 45 seconds. Vista has a slicker UI but at this moment I don't see how it would help anyone's production.

If buying a new computer I would definitely prepare for Vista because it is here to stay. We are only testing it because we know one of you out there will "bite the bullet" and then complain Omega doesn't work. The main goal of Omega 2.6 is to support Vista and be up to date with all Microsoft's latest development tools.

We have not tested any of the "home / Biz" versions but I don't see any problems there.

We also have a 32 bit Vista Ultimate executing Omega 2.6 with no problems at all.

Sign Prophet

LOL, millenium was a horrible operating system. I had so many problems with that. I agree that the need to fix their current problems before creating new ones.