• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Volkswagen Tailgate

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I had a client stop in yesterday afternoon that would like to have decals made to fit on his Volkswagen tailgate (pictures included). He bought some online, but they didn't line up properly and he screwed up the application.

I'm prepared to put transfer tape on and do a rubbing that I can trace, but I was wondering if anyone had a vector file for this instead.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 11, 4 29 13 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 11, 4 29 13 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 422
  • Photo Jun 11, 4 29 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 11, 4 29 20 PM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 388
  • Photo Jun 11, 4 29 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 11, 4 29 25 PM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 350

bannertime

I'm no sign painter. My abilities go so far as painting in the lines on banners. However, I feel this job would be much easier to paint and touch up edges than to trying to perfect a cut file.

JR's

I think it would depend on one's ability.
If you're really good at digitizing go that route.
If you're really good with the brush go that route.

my experience the vehicles with the Soft Edges was always harder to hand letter than the ones with a Hard Edge.

Breezy85

We had a customer who wanted the exact same thing! He didn't bring the tailgate in though, he brought a purchased RTA for us to reference. Not sure why he didn't just use that one. I got it as close as I possibly could to the original. I can PM you what I had done for him. Having the tailgate would help a lot with getting it more accurate too. Unfortunately I didn't have that and the customer was a grump.

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

I had a client stop in yesterday afternoon that would like to have decals made to fit on his Volkswagen tailgate (pictures included). He bought some online, but they didn't line up properly and he screwed up the application.

I'm prepared to put transfer tape on and do a rubbing that I can trace, but I was wondering if anyone had a vector file for this instead.

Probably be better off doing a rubbing.

TammieH

I would take a couple straight on photos, scale and straighten the photos in Photoshop, place in Illustrator and trace by hand

you may or may not want to draw out paper to see how close you are.

then apply the letters one at a time.

The customer pays for your ability to make them happy.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Thanks everybody. We did a rubbing with transfer tape because in this case its easier than paper.

Paint isn't an option because the client doesn't want it. It was the first thing I suggested.