• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Walk away or re-do

Jeremiah

I had a race car owner who wanted to change his number only on the car today. He said you have a month to do cut vinyl for my new number. He will apply. This reminded me if the last customer(a year ago) that had a mini race car last year. A few numbers he would apply. With a shadow. I said 75.00.. We measured it. 6' numbers. He mentioned that the last guy who did it worked out if his van and did it for 25.00 . I said that was cheap , but I have overhead costs. He agreed and paid in advance. When he picked up the numbers he measured the numbers 2 were 6" and the first one was 6 3/16 tall. It was the font that made the variation. Would you refund - stick to your guns or re do ? I think he wanted them for free. Its a dumb small job, but many times this stuff can be a pain

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't make sense how the numbers could be different sizes ??

Normally, when someone specifies a height, we will do everything from letters, to numbers, change them to outlines, then do the measurement, which makes the rounds 6" and other flats a little less, but not the other way around. If there are descenders, we nix them out and do the measuring with only flats and rounds in the 6", then add the descenders back in.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Tell him to bring back the 6 3/16 one and you will replace with the 6". Then don't do business with him again, it's probably the same reason $25 guy isn't doing business with him this year. Trust me, it's a racecar and that tiny little difference DOES NOT MATTER.

Did he measure this in front of you or after he already left? If it's after he left it's very possible he messed up the application and he just wants you to cut a new one. DO NOT GIVE HIM A DISCOUNT.

Remember, race car drivers do not make money, they put every single penny of money they do not have into these cars and rely on sponsorships to pay for new tires, parts, etc. It's the biggest money pit you ever saw in your life and begging everyone for money all the time.

MikePro

id try to make the existing graphics work.
+1 to hand-trimming 3/16" off the graphic, and remind him that if he wants you to produce graphics for him to apply....then he has to properly spec. the conditions of the vinyl/layout or pay for redos. seems silly that 3/16" would fall outside of the acceptable tolerance

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I think a combination of what Tex and Stacy said. Redo it and move on - and then fire him as a customer. Just say no next time around.

...Or if there is a next time - be sure to really listen to him. Maybe you weren't listening well enough, so it's all your fault.

Billct2

I'm not sure what you're saying. There are three of the same number and one is off by 3/16" or is it that the "flat" number are 6" and the round 6 3/16"? We measure height by the "flat" letters, round letters are slightly larger. That is the correct and standard way 99.9% of fonts work. But in either case unless he is building a space ship 3/16" doesn't matter. I will usually just remake and next time my prices have gone up.

stxrmxn

We deal with MX riders and some race car drivers. They will spend 2k on an exhaust to make 0.1 of a second a lap and then squeeze us for a discount. In fairness if they specify a size they are probably getting scrutineered on the number size which is stated in the regulations so it needs to be a minimum height and width which you have done wrong so it is only right that you remake. Unlikely you will get any major work from them but you agreed and did not deliver.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
id try to make the existing graphics work.
+1 to hand-trimming 3/16" off the graphic, and remind him that if he wants you to produce graphics for him to apply....then he has to properly spec. the conditions of the vinyl/layout or pay for redos. seems silly that 3/16" would fall outside of the acceptable tolerance
Being oversized it might slow the car down......

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I had a race car owner who wanted to change his number only on the car today. He said you have a month to do cut vinyl for my new number. He will apply. This reminded me if the last customer(a year ago) that had a mini race car last year. A few numbers he would apply. With a shadow. I said 75.00.. We measured it. 6' numbers. He mentioned that the last guy who did it worked out if his van and did it for 25.00 . I said that was cheap , but I have overhead costs. He agreed and paid in advance. When he picked up the numbers he measured the numbers 2 were 6" and the first one was 6 3/16 tall. It was the font that made the variation. Would you refund - stick to your guns or re do ? I think he wanted them for free. Its a dumb small job, but many times this stuff can be a pain
Give him the reverse of the "I'll put your name on my car for a discount" routine. Tell him you will refund half the money if he never comes back & tells all his race buddies to shop elsewhere.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Redo it for him then fire him, if you walk away he will tell everyone how you "stole" $75 from him, not worth it over a few bucks of vinyl
Who of importance will he really tell? Id give him the vinyl, his $75 and tell him to go fuck himself. If he has friends that he wants to tell, they can go fuck themselves too. He'd be doing him a favor if he told all his pita race buddies to stay away.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Who of importance will he really tell? Id give him the vinyl, his $75 and tell him to go **** himself. If he has friends that he wants to tell, they can go **** themselves too. He'd be doing him a favor if he told all his pita race buddies to stay away.

Just hope it don't get back to the dump truck people... those would be clients you don't want to loose.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that this is a 3 digit number. As others have said all fonts heights are measured by an uppercase letter with a flat top and bottom. Round characters go above and below the flat characters and "1" and "4" often go above resulting in additional height.

He is being nit-picky because he thinks you charged him too much. If I knew I was in the right and I would defend my position. If that didn't work, the quickest end is to quickly figure out what the actual time it will take is worth and your cost of the vinyl to redo it, and offer to give him $15 back and move on. If that doesn't work torture him as much as he's torturing you by making him come in and stand behind your computer and point out what needs to be changed. While showing him why it the font's fault, not yours. Then tell him it will be done in a day or two and you'll call him when he can pick it up. I never do this when I am busy, but I have done it before. Wasting someone else's time, and gas, when they are being a pain, can feel pretty good. You'll even find yourself smiling. If he ever calls again, tell him your business has shifted focus to B to B and you don't do retail anymore...

In general, racecar guys, young car club guys, car dealerships, and real estate agents are the worst customers (not counting 25% of the walk-ins.)

FONT HEIGHT.jpg

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just found an export glitch in Corel Draw 2020 while changing the size of a file while exporting a jpg. This is how it was supposed to look
FONT HEIGHT.jpg