• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WalMart Install 10x8 mural for $240 fair?

Jo Hill

I'm in Tennessee. A company from California contacted me to install a 10'x8' mural in one of my local WalMarts. They provided the print. It is in 3 pieces. The company that contacted me is called Ultimate Image Printing. They said the best they could offer me for the install is $240.00. The install is going to be 20ft off the ground inside the store. The store manager is going to provide me with a lift and a driver.

I'm kind of slow right now. That being said, is $240.00 a fair price for such an install?

Greenlight signs

How long do you think it would take for you to install this? Also what is it adhering to? If it takes you and a helper 2 hours then thats $120hr.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sounds low, but if you're slow who cares.

Amazes how cheap companies from California are... Aren't they supposed to be in a high cost state?

unclebun

We get more than that for installs that we can stand on the floor to complete, and which take less time than a 3 part mural would.

The other thing is that not only does it sound like that California company is cheap, but the one time we took a job like that from a California company they never paid. After they were overdue and I called they gave me a credit card that declined, and then just ignored me and didn't answer the phone. It was for an Oakley sunglasses window wrap at an optical store.

We regularly do installs for store graphics that come from companies all over, and though it's common for them to pay slow, they usually pay.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We get more than that for installs that we can stand on the floor to complete, and which take less time than a 3 part mural would.

The other thing is that not only does it sound like that California company is cheap, but the one time we took a job like that from a California company they never paid. After they were overdue and I called they gave me a credit card that declined, and then just ignored me and didn't answer the phone. It was for an Oakley sunglasses window wrap at an optical store.

We regularly do installs for store graphics that come from companies all over, and though it's common for them to pay slow, they usually pay.

Yup. I had one from LA area that contracted me to install USMC window perf and it was hell trying to get them to pay. I had to call many times over a month and finally got a credit card out of them. Since then it was 100% upfront.

Jo Hill

What if you mess up the print or it isn't the correct material for the job? Do all you customers tell you what they will pay you to do the job? Why would you let this one then.
What if you mess up the print or it isn't the correct material for the job? Do all you customers tell you what they will pay you to do the job? Why would you let this one then.

Good point. I'll have to grow a pair next time around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds kinda low. If you're slow, sometimes it's better to do something ya like doing for free, rather than making someone else rich.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for 3 panels if it's only 8' x 10' ?? It's probably printed on a 30" machine which would probably be a one-man instal. The actual time to apply it would probably be an hour or so, plus set up, tear down and all the other incidentals. If you're really hurting and they can guarantee no problems with adhesion, I'd say go for it, providing they put it IN-WRITING that the media will absolutely work.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hopefully no more than a couple of hours.

Consider that if it's any kind of textured surface you will have to post heat. Lining up three panels can be time consuming with one person. $240 sounds too cheap for the headache of walmar. I charged $800 to slap some floor decals on that took 2 hours but I had to do it at night and people were walking all over the freaking place.

Last time I did a job in a Walmart, you have to factor in the time it take to locate a manager and get setup. It's usually busy and the parking lot is a mess.

**Side note** I drive a service body work truck that has my sign name company on it. If Walmart is real busy sometimes I just park under their sign and throw out an orange cone. I just feel like an ass when I wheel out a shopping cart full of stuff and load it in my truck :p

rjssigns

OP could give it a shot and find out if it was worth it or not. My main concerns would be print substrate and paint on the wall.

Too low a price for me though. Every time I bid a job I'm always thinking about loading the truck, supplies, drive time, prep, delays, unforeseen issues, install , clean up etc...

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Less than 100sq.ft. = Base $5.00/sq.ft for install

Base is...
- 1 installer
- no obstructions (pipes, doors, etc). Simple light switches and outlets are not obstructions as you can easily remove the cover plates during install

additional cost(s) are
- travel
- lift (as needed)

A 10’ x 8’ (3 panels graphic) on a flat surface should take about 2 hours. This includes area setup and clean up.

2B

Is this during regular hours or after hours?
We have done several Wal-Mart stores with Floor graphics and it is always stipulated to be during off-hours, usually between 23:00 - 06:00
Be prepared to wait, have yet to do a Wal-Mart that they knew or were ready for installation.
Once they were in the middle of cleaning/waxing. FYI graphics do not adhere to fresh / wet wax.

Take LOTS of photos, inspect the material and the surface before starting.
One store we did they forgot to add the adhesive to the graphics, glad we inspected before leaving the shop.

Bottom line, if you are slow and want to add to the experience, go for it

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is this during regular hours or after hours?
We have done several Wal-Mart stores with Floor graphics and it is always stipulated to be during off-hours, usually between 23:00 - 06:00
Be prepared to wait, have yet to do a Wal-Mart that they knew or were ready for installation.
Once they were in the middle of cleaning/waxing. FYI graphics do not adhere to fresh / wet wax.

Take LOTS of photos, inspect the material and the surface before starting.
One store we did they forgot to add the adhesive to the graphics, glad we inspected before leaving the shop.

Bottom line, if you are slow and want to add to the experience, go for it

Yup, I did some of those too. It was a pain because I wasn't given clear direction on where the graphics had to go, and no one at the local Walmart knew what was going on. They told me to do it at night but I just showed up a 2pm and management didnt complain. People were walking all over my work area though.[/QUOTE]