• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wanted to say hi new to the forum and sign world

gr85z

I am new to the world of sign creation and my wife and I origanily got the cutter to do a few stencils so I could paint her motorcycle and are doing a few decals for some friends. I have asked a few questions on the boards and have had great response so Thanks ahead of time to all. My wife and I are hoping to get a small business running to supliment her job so she can work from home and all. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty active with being on Volunteer fire department and a 15 month old and the wife :) . Well enough on me..
See everyone around the board.

James:beer

Arlo Kalon 2.0

gr85z said:
I am new to the world of sign creation and my wife and I origanily got the cutter to do a few stencils so I could paint her motorcycle and are doing a few decals for some friends. I have asked a few questions on the boards and have had great response so Thanks ahead of time to all. My wife and I are hoping to get a small business running to supliment her job so she can work from home and all. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty active with being on Volunteer fire department and a 15 month old and the wife :) . Well enough on me..
See everyone around the board.

James:beer

Welcome.. I already like you too. I think your post is an excellent example of why some other newbies have crashed and burned here with their first introduction. You did it absolutely right!

I sold my 2nd Gerber setup to a guy who also was setting his wife up with a home business. Over 18 years ago, I went to great lengths to help these total strangers get up and running... they were nice people.

Since then, their home based biz has launched two of their kids into the business with a very well respected shop. Always been glad I got to do that much once. I think you'll do quite good here - at least here's hoping you do. Also, I highly appreciate what you do with the fire dept. People like you routinely put yourself on the front line for the rest of us. Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to :signs101: from PA.

That's what I should've done. Set my wife up in this business. I was happy when I was working for another sign shop, but NOOooooooo-o-o-o, we had to open our own shop.

Good Luck. Next one's on me... :beer

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma

I put my wife through graduate school so I could set up a home business. Now she is a college professor and I'm doing my thing. She thinks I'm a bad house keeper. I tell her "it don't look bad to me". Usually it starts the honeydue list. I lost that too.

Good luck with the sign business.

Jillbeans

As a self-employed divorced sign gal for 21 years, it has been helpful to me to stay home with my 3 kids while I make signs.
However, I can't help but remember a time just before I bought my first cutter (after painting signs for 13 years and REALLY struggling to get a loan) when a local guy bought a plotter for his bored wife.
She took at least 3 jobs from me by underbidding before she decided that signs were boring and he bought her a lingerie shop 6 months later.
Remember that your new hobby and suplimenting two incomes may be taking food from the mouths of starving artists like me.
That said, learn to do things the right way by studying some good layout books. Try attending a Letterhead meet (I never heard of painting a motorcycle with stencils!!!) You seem like an OK guy and not like some of the other recent Newbies.
I do help out two local VFCs by giving them decent prices for firetruck lettering. We could use a firefighter with some taste!
(don't get me started)
:)
love....Jill

gr85z

Thanks for all the welcomes

I wanted to say thanks again with all the tips and tricks today I did my first 2 color vinyl I am attaching it hear and one under my other post.
I haven't figured up what to charge for it yet though. As suggested I am not going to under cut anyone I feel if I can't do the job I will refer to local sign shop and stay simple and easy :thumb: .
Here is what I did first layer is 3"x6" reflective silver. Second later is 2.75"x5.75" reflective red.Third layer is 3yr outdoor black. Topped with a clear over all of it approx 4"x8".
Any idea of cost I did 4 all together and not to far off from all looking the same.
Thanks
James

gr85z

Stencil on motocycle for Jill

Hey Jill
Stencilling a motorcyle was easy here is a picture of the tank. I stenciled the frog in 3 steps once for bottom layer, srtipe details on the body, once for the over while finishing tank.
Firefighters with taste huh :wink: I will let the wife know.
Take Care
Don't worry also wont under cut local shop
James

Jillbeans said:
Try attending a Letterhead meet (I never heard of painting a motorcycle with stencils!!!) You seem like an OK guy and not like some of the other recent Newbies.
We could use a firefighter with some taste!
(don't get me started)
:)
love....Jill