• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Was wondering...

Johnny Best

Does anyone own an electric car or truck. Does anyone plan on buying an electric car or truck. With gas prices going up and it seems they will not come down and present administration pushing the electric vehicle agenda. I for one will hope a new group gets in to open production of gas and stop this pipe dream of everyone owning electric vehicles.
Personally I do not like being squeezed or pushed to get something by making it hard to purchase because they think they will get glory for saving the world from warming.

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
No, I will never buy an electric car the Democrats and alike stand to make lots of money. We don't manufacture a thing in America 80% of all electric cars are made in China from motors to batteries, etc. China is among the world’s largest suppliers of car parts, exporting motor vehicle parts and accessories worth $34.8 billion in 2018, according to the UN’s Comtrade database.
Do some research just like the green new deal it's BULL SHIT... and is just another tax on US citizens. Also, take about shifting to more pollution.... https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0013935121003443, and let's not forget about what batteries come from- Typically, lithium mining requires consuming large amounts of water, which could lead to draughts during summer months and floods during rainy seasons. Also, the chemical cocktails used to extract lithium from the ground could find their way into nearby streams, rivers, and water supply, thus posing a danger to wildlife and health.

Meda loves to perpetuate lies and feeds the ignorant.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Electric cars will be the equivalent of nuclear power. Great until you have to get rid of the waste. They're fast 0-60, like crotch rocket fast and great if you can plug them into your neighbors house to charge. I read somewhere, so take it with a grain of salt, that china was pushing hydrogen and electric to save their oil for their military. Maybe we are doing the same? You never know, it's not like they can show their hand on everything they are doing so we are not always able to see the big picture. That makes it hard to make sense out of certain decisions/policies.
Oh and don't kid yourself about politicians. They get along great when the cameras are off.

ikarasu

Everyone is pushing electric vehicles, not just usa.

Either way, I don't let politics decide my purchases - I have a down payment on a Tesla truck since day 1, but it seems like it'll never come out.

Gas in BC right now is $9.20 a gallon. I've put $850 worth of gas into my work truck in June - doing the math it's about $70 in electricity... So that $780 savings retty much pays for the electric truck and more.

Business is business, as much as I try to buy local for certain things... Let's not fool ourselves. 90% of the products we buy comes from China. Half the parts in our ford truck come from mexico.

Heck, I bet 90% of our sales has some made in China part... Aluminum isn't manufactured here anymore, Coro / aluminum panel... Half our resources are outsourced for pennies on the dollar.

But on-top of that... I like all the features in a Tesla.

Oh - one thing I'm sure most of you don't know. One of our workers got a Tesla - and he has no AM radio. Tesla wants $10 a month to enable AM radio :roflmao: every company is gouging you these days. I do think in the long run we'd save money with an electric vehicle, but I feel like all the vehicle manufacturers are trying to get away with whatever they can.. my f150 has GPS in it... But I have to pay $650 for them to remotely enable it.... On-top of everything being electronic and non user serviceable....

Sometimes I want to just buy a dumb car with no computers, easy to fix... No "glitches".

Notarealsignguy

Word is that the auto manufacturers are going to start subscription services for a lot of the options. Want your AC to work, thats $5/month. Radio, $2/month. Whats that stupid saying? You will own nothing and like it?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The F150 electric is enticing. I don't like burning all the gas in my truck and polluting the atmosphere. This time of year, when you take off in an airplane and fly out of a major city, you see the layer of grey smog that is at the surface. No one is worried about pollution because we can't see it. If they could somehow dye the gases coming out of a tailpipe, so we could visually see it, I think that would get people attention immediately.

We do, need to study the emissions and impact that producing all those batteries would have.

Notarealsignguy

Moving away from the electric debate, most of the alternative fuels are derived from petroleum refining. It's great while they are a byproduct but in large quantities, you have to do something with the rest of the "waste" that is currently refined into diesel, gas, bunker fuel etc. The elephant in the room is over-population. Hydrogen seems fairly promising but you still have the same issue with the volume needed. If there weren't so many people, we wouldn't have to worry so much about this stuff. Water is another issue. Sure you can build desalinization facilities but where do you dump all the salt? And where do you get the power to do it? Same with battery manufacturing. This isn't even touching on the safety issues with lithium ion batteries. My friend just had a boathouse that he was working on catch fire after one of his drill batteries ran away while charging.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Moving away from the electric debate, most of the alternative fuels are derived from petroleum refining. It's great while they are a byproduct but in large quantities, you have to do something with the rest of the "waste" that is currently refined into diesel, gas, bunker fuel etc. The elephant in the room is over-population. Hydrogen seems fairly promising but you still have the same issue with the volume needed. If there weren't so many people, we wouldn't have to worry so much about this stuff. Water is another issue. Sure you can build desalinization facilities but where do you dump all the salt? And where do you get the power to do it? Same with battery manufacturing. This isn't even touching on the safety issues with lithium ion batteries. My friend just had a boathouse that he was working on catch fire after one of his drill batteries ran away while charging.
Salt obviously goes into salt batteries, which can't catch on fire. Energy you get from those spinny things which you can store in whatever future tech comes up, like those salt batteries.

Yeah yeah its all this and that but it's future and it's different than today like it or not.

victor bogdanov

The F150 electric is enticing. I don't like burning all the gas in my truck and polluting the atmosphere. This time of year, when you take off in an airplane and fly out of a major city, you see the layer of grey smog that is at the surface. No one is worried about pollution because we can't see it. If they could somehow dye the gases coming out of a tailpipe, so we could visually see it, I think that would get people attention immediately.

We do, need to study the emissions and impact that producing all those batteries would have.

Electric cars magically make electricity with no pollution?

victor bogdanov

I bought an electric lawn mower/trimmer blower 3 years ago, Ryobi brand. I figured Id give it a try as my 10 year old gas mower that I did not maintain at all died.

Spent about double of what new gas tools would cost, first mow realized I need another battery, $300 battery purchased. 6 months everything is going smoothly, I'm happy with the tools. Go to mow one day and a battery isn't working. Home depot replaces for free. Another 6 months the second battery dies, Ryobi replaces under warranty after lots of back and forth, they really fought the replacement even though the batteries have a "3 year warranty". Another year goes by and the replaced batteries die, Ryobi says the already warrantied batteries are not under warranty. I buy some knock off batteries and they seem to be holding up.

During this 3 year period I would've used 5 gallons of gas but instead I created $1200 of battery waste. When these knockoff batteries die I'll go back to gas mower.

Notarealsignguy

Salt obviously goes into salt batteries, which can't catch on fire. Energy you get from those spinny things which you can store in whatever future tech comes up, like those salt batteries.

Yeah yeah its all this and that but it's future and it's different than today like it or not.
Speaking of storing energy, did you see where Germany is building this gigantic thermos to store water that is heated by excess renewable energy production? It will be used for heat in the city.

Notarealsignguy

I bought an electric lawn mower/trimmer blower 3 years ago, Ryobi brand. I figured Id give it a try as my 10 year old gas mower that I did not maintain at all died.

Spent about double of what new gas tools would cost, first mow realized I need another battery, $300 battery purchased. 6 months everything is going smoothly, I'm happy with the tools. Go to mow one day and a battery isn't working. Home depot replaces for free. Another 6 months the second battery dies, Ryobi replaces under warranty after lots of back and forth, they really fought the replacement even though the batteries have a "3 year warranty". Another year goes by and the replaced batteries die, Ryobi says the already warrantied batteries are not under warranty. I buy some knock off batteries and they seem to be holding up.

During this 3 year period I would've used 5 gallons of gas but instead I created $1200 of battery waste. When these knockoff batteries die I'll go back to gas mower.
I bought a battery powered Ryobi blower to have at the shop, just to keep the walkways clean. I used it maybe 10 times for no more than 5 mins each time. Then the battery wouldn't charge anymore. I like my gas powered tools and make sure to use Rec 90 (ethanol free) in them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I hire Mexicans to mow the yard. Feed them burritos and you get methane gas.

Lawn mowers throw off many times the pollution than a ICE car.

victor bogdanov

I hire Mexicans to mow the yard. Feed them burritos and you get methane gas.

Lawn mowers throw off many times the pollution than a ICE car.
I'm about the only one that doesn't hire mowers in my neighborhood but I enjoy enjoy the mowing. Hasn't rained much so I I'm mowing once per month

victor bogdanov

wanted to buy a full size passenger van, Sprinter, Transit or Promaster today but 0 passenger vans in stock within 250 miles of me, a few cargo vans available. I see that most of the dealerships lots I drive by are 25% full at best. the dealer websites warn about the chip shortages.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
ETA: this isn't the video I meant to post. So take it as you will. I'd delete it, but it really irks people when debatable content is deleted. So I'll leave it, but it's not what I was wanting to share. Exactly.

Last edited:

ikarasu

I believe the batteries cause almost as much pollution over the lifetime of a vehicle as gas does. Not enough studies on it.

I'm all for saving the environment, but it gets ridiculous. In Canada... Single use plastics are banned next year. In my province they're banned already. We have to pay 25 cents per paper cup... 50 cents per paper bag... So goto McDonald's family of 4? That's an extra $1 for the cups and $1 for the bag. It begins to add up. Then I get my pancakes served in a huge plastic container and my paper straw is enclosed in a plastic bag... Doesn't make sense. Let's move towards cardboard / paper everything . Get rid of plastics, then start charging for the paper products.

Most of the save the environment laws are to make people feel good, not to actually make a difference.

I want an electric vehicle for myself. I'm sure it's more environmentally friendly than a gas guzzling truck, but that's just a bonus.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Y'all need to start growing your own food and stop eating out so much. The horse ya use to plow thre fields will take ya to town Saturday nights.