• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Was wondering...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The only thing I hate are paper straws. There is nothing worse. I'd rather have no arms and a bad case of the crabs than have to use a paper straw.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
electric cars are just opening the door for all of us to be buzzing around in our own personal drones! This is the future.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Straws are for sissies. Just don't use a straw. Toss it back like a man.
1.-straw-banner.jpeg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't use straws, I don't have the burning desire to suck things like you all do.

I hate the plastic waste, shopping waste... all that stuff. I didn't agree with much of what Boudica's video said, but I do agree with buying things is the problem.

The video said electric cars could be powered by coal which pollutes more. Fact is coal is a small percentage of a fuel source and is getting less and less. A good portion of Texas' energy wind and solar, more than coal is. And the video said that manufacturing a car creates a huge carbon footprint. Well yes it does, but so does a gas engine car... choose one or the other.

Boudica

I don't use straws, I don't have the burning desire to suck things like you all do.

I hate the plastic waste, shopping waste... all that stuff. I didn't agree with much of what Boudica's video said, but I do agree with buying things is the problem.

The video said electric cars could be powered by coal which pollutes more. Fact is coal is a small percentage of a fuel source and is getting less and less. A good portion of Texas' energy wind and solar, more than coal is. And the video said that manufacturing a car creates a huge carbon footprint. Well yes it does, but so does a gas engine car... choose one or the other.
Yah, turns out that wasn't the video I was thinking of. Maybe it was a different show, but the part I remembered, that isn't in the video I posted (too quickly) was about the creation of the batteries, mining certain ingredients, waste disposal, and the fact that the current grid can't support the needed electricity. For everything, from wind power energy, to solar... not to mention adding cars. I'm still trying to find that research I saw a couple of years ago. It was really interesting .

In summation, what we are told is "green energy" isn't completely, and isn't an ultimate solution. It's got to be a balance of old and current tech, and new tech. Nothing changes overnight. Except the weather.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With our short commutes here we'd be the ideal setup for electric vehicles - except for our power grid always being right on the edge of collapse. Our power plants burn oil so we'd most likely not be saving the planet much converting over to EVs. There are a few Teslas here but not enough so people would notice.
What we do have all over the place now are the domestic Kei trucks and vans. No freeway driving here so they seem to work pretty well and even at 25+ years old get good gas mileage with the tiny engines and lightweight.
They also cost a tenth or so of a new EV, and when they break down you can pick them up and carry them home.
If the roads & drivers were not so bad bicycles would be another option. I used to bike to work but had to get on the road so early to avoid the traffic that I started running into the really late drinkers coming home from the bars.
(edit)
Forgot to add: We have been looking into alternative renewable bamboo technology but so far results have been poor.
bamboo.jpg

Last edited:

Boudica

Y'all need to start growing your own food and stop eating out so much. The horse ya use to plow thre fields will take ya to town Saturday nights.
I'm not allowed to have a horse in the city.

visual800

I will NEVER buy an electric vehicle. This administrations a$$ will be gone soon and all this will be a pipedream. I believe the chip shortage is planned, I think they have cut it back to force electric. There was a time last year you couldnt find a gas mower at the big box stores...IMO another ploy to induct electric mowers in your life. And while im on my box all this stupid start and stop engine crap they are putting on vehicles now WTH is that all about? Seems like it would wear some parts out quick. POINTLESS must be some EPA crap like that Diesel Particulate filter they are doing. THAT crap needs to be gone too

victor bogdanov

Ford E truck was able to tow for almost 100 miles before needed a $27 charge up to 66% to squeeze out another 50 miles :big laugh: . Cost to charge up at the quick chargers was about 75% of filling up with gas. Oh and 45 min to charge vs 5 min fill up

Johnny Best

In the 60s I had a VW Karmann Ghia with a 10 gal gas tank. Could fill it up for $3.50 and go 250 to 300 miles.
If I got behind a semi tractor trailer on the inter sate I could save on fuel by being pulled by the semi's air pocket it formed behind it.

Johnny Best

Not really, got t boned by a car running a red light and they do not offer to much protection. Feel a lot safer in my F150.
I did see where someone on youtube put an electric motor in one and got it up to 100mph in a short period of time. Mine had a top speed of 70mph at most.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had a 6 volt bug. I believe it was a '63. But I always wanted a "thing". Never worried about my output contribution to the atmosphere.

This whole business is only slight of hand and smoke & mirrors. Has nothing to do with caring about the globe. There are so many far better ways to help this world, but at the moment, none of them matter and can cause as much conflict.