• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Watch me trace

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Most of you know how to trace but there are some customers that don't quite know what is involved. So I have posted a quicktime movie of a somewhat simple job. Even the veterans might learn something. This was done using Adobe Illustrator CS3 because I prefer the smart guides in CS3 over what Adobe changed in either 4 or 5

I use smart guides and frequently use the weld tool and the minus front or minus back tools to make sure all points align perfectly.

Note: the last letter T did not quite line up on the baseline but that was fixed

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144854/vector trace.mov

Warning to those with slow connections: file is 12mb

Last edited:

weaselboogie

yeah way quick! wish i knew illy - looks like the bezier tool is better by far than corel if you know shortcuts etc

maybe you dont know the corel shortcuts...:rolleyes:

Awesome work eric! Amazed at your speed and precision! Sometimes what I'll do is fine similar characters and use them to create the second letter. For example the O, I could trace that then chop it off to make the C. As I'm typing this, I assume that you know this and that you're trying to show the entire process to the customer and not shortcuts. I'll shut up now. :Big Laugh

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
maybe you dont know the corel shortcuts...:rolleyes:

Awesome work eric! Amazed at your speed and precision! Sometimes what I'll do is fine similar characters and use them to create the second letter. For example the O, I could trace that then chop it off to make the C. As I'm typing this, I assume that you know this and that you're trying to show the entire process to the customer and not shortcuts. I'll shut up now. :Big Laugh

Yes I do this quite often.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Thanks all for the compliments. If there is anything that you want to see I can probably make a movie when I have the time.

The QT software movie on this was originally 900mb!! I reduced the resolution and resaved. Is the quality ok to see what is going on? I'm on a 23 inch screen

TheSnowman

So THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT! I don't even need to send you anything anymore Eric! J/K...great work as always. I love how fast and perfect you are at it.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
So THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT! I don't even need to send you anything anymore Eric! J/K...great work as always. I love how fast and perfect you are at it.

That is one reason I posted it, so people could see the quality that goes into each job. It certainly helps having clean art. Plus someone might learn something.