• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wave Accounting

signswi

This great accounting software has finally come down from the Great White North and is now available to Americans.

Fantastic product, worth checking out if you're still struggling to find a good accounting solution (especially you freelancers!).

http://waveaccounting.com/

gnemmas

It is Free, what's the catch? Uh.. Cloud based.

Another data mining, Ad sponsored revenue generator?

Imaging the amount of info they can access: All your business activities.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I am curious too. There are dozens like this service. What happens when the company goes belly up in a few years? They cannot all last forever. Can you imagine losing years worth of data?

What about changing to another service? What happens to the data? Can you transfer it over to another? Is it in a format that can be imported elsewhere?

Look at it this way... what if it was a proprietary online design program and you did all of your designs online. After a while you leave the service. Are you SOL?

SD&F

Do you have an idea how long this company has been doing business in the Great White North?

signswi

Most of your questions are actually answered on their website in various FAQs and such. Revenue comes from partner offers, not from data mining. Security is extensive. Data can be exported at any time and deleted permanently off their servers. They've been very, very successful up in Canada and highly awaited here, the team is large, well funded and experienced. It is a startup and young by brick and mortar standards. As someone who heavily relies (successfully) on tools like mint.com and freshbooks.com and outright.com, this doesn't bother me. They've been vetted well and closed a $5 million venture round in October.

gnemmas

Like gmail, entities offer free service have to be paid one way or another (even government): go ogle, face book, etc. It is what you are willing to give out.

Quote: upon closing your account, "we'll remove all your personally identifiable information from Wave. All that will remain is anonymous, aggregate information."

In other words, they already got what they want: your vendors info, purchasing pattern.....

These data mining software are so powerful: as in go ogle search, we will search certain keyword or phrase routinely to find out our website position, after a while, it resulted in a false higher position, evidently it change the result base on my search and click history.

signswi

No, they will not keep your vendors info. They have no reason to give a crap about that. Their profit model is to get you to use products they recommend, not to data mine your information (which, because of the way the backend works, wouldn't be possible anyway in any sense worth fearing). That would not be anonymous information. Cyclical aggregated anonymous patterns of commerce, if they even care? Nothing to fear there anyway. It's important to understand the difference between aggregated anonymous data and personally identifiable data before you go around fearing every business developed in the last 10 years.

I'll also bite on your derail because I'm bored: you clearly don't understand how google works and are afraid of them but think they're too dumb to do a 1 character fuzzy match on their brand name? The kings of data sifting? Here's a hint: search volume isn't a part of the SERP algorithm, you're seeing "personalized results" from repeatedly ego searching. Not even sure what your point is in bringing that up as it's completely non-relevant. It'd be nice if we could get through just ONE thread about modern software that didn't involve wacky technology fear.

Bit of a rant there everyone but just trying to help people out, sometimes I think I shouldn't bother talking about software on the forums at all. Hopefully this is useful to someone out there.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The info is greatly appreciated signswi, keep it coming. I am a bit cautious of this kind of info being online though 99.9% of the population could care less about my data. I just don't want to be caught up in a closed system and I don't want to jump into something that is so new (to me). My current invoice software is actually not at all open. But it works. However it may not always be there for me, so knowing there are other good options does help.

In my case, Quickbooks is overkill so maybe someday this may work out

signswi

Completely reasonable and great questions to ask. I refuse to use products where data isn't open and exportable but luckily the tech industry has embraced that philosophy rather intensely in the past few years. Nerds like open.

The security and encryption is actually beyond that of federal bank guidelines, which are still 128bit. The way you would end up in trouble is the same way anyone ends up in trouble with online services: you used a weak password or wrote it down somewhere or gave it to someone who left the company and has malicious intent, etc. Human problems essentially.

RebeckaR

I'll be looking into this. I don't need a big hairy accounting program, just something to keep track of expenses and send an invoice once in a while.
Thanks!

Terremoto

I do believe that QuickBooks AND Simply Accounting originated in Canada. We seem to know a fair amount about the weather and the same with numbers.

Dan