• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding tips anyone?

trakers

How do you get just the right "angle" of light for your weeding?

Do you have a special setup or just use ambient light?

DRPSignsNGrafix

we just use regular lights from the ceiling, sometimes we have to look at an angle to see the cut lines. But usually once u start in the right corner it will all pull and weed pretty easy

GARY CULY

As Time Goes By ..days ,,weeks ,,months ...youll Find Yourself Always Standing In The Same Spot To Weed ,,youll Hold Your Head Just Right ,know How To Move To Get Right Where It Works ..i Think Its A Natural Deal Theres No Science To It

craigco

Light does help a lot. If your in dimly lit area it is much harder to weed. I worked at a shop once where that happened. You really had to work at finding the right angle of light, because most of it came from sunlight, which of course changed throughout the day. It was a real PITA.

some good over head lights are good, which I still don't have. I was once told that flourescent lights directly above the work area was the best.

It seems to me the more light the better. Usually find the lines from some sort of glare off the vinyl. What's bad is when you constantly have to bend down low to find your lines.

S

SignTech

I'm just over 40 ......... can't see anymore .......... Adria weeds .... lol

Anyway overhead flourescent works great we bought the bright day light style high output bulbs ....... they really do make the inside of the shop look like daylight outside ........ either way at the end of the day the bright lights
make my eyes tired.

ovrcafnatd

I actually like using a desk type light that I have clamped to a shelving
unit right NEXT to my table - for weeding (it does depend on the color of vinyl) but
I aim it up at the ceiling and then I can clearly see my cut lines.

I also use those 'true' light bulbs

S

SignTech

I actually like using a desk type light that I have clamped to a shelving
unit right NEXT to my table - for weeding (it does depend on the color of vinyl) but
I aim it up at the ceiling and then I can clearly see my cut lines.

I also use those 'true' light bulbs

yeah good point we also clamp one on the table sometimes ........

did I mention I like your boots?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Weeding Tips...

When weeding white vinyl that has a lot of text, rub a charcoal pounce pad lightly over the surface to expose the cut lines. :thumb:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I find a magnifier lamp, a large round lens with circular fluorescent around it, on a arm to be handy for those times when the stuff is small and/or there's insufficient contrast to easily see the cuts. Office Depot, Office Max, etc for maybe $50. Indispensable.

geedub

eyeballs work just fine

i'm only 24 so right now they work just fine.

by the time i'm 40 i will have invented something that automatically weeds your vinyl, so i'm not too worried.

imaSIGNr

I just use day light fluorescent bulbs also.... I haven't tried it, but there was a thread here on this subject and someone used a light box underneath to reveal the cut lines...
Mike Paul, I've tried the chalk box method and it works, but was leery about the chalk getting on the adhesive or the appl. tape not sticking because of it.
I also keep a magnifying lamp nearby as bob says when I need it for the small stuff.

Kysparky

there is a new product called Weed-It. I've tried it a few times and it seems to work. It's almost like a baby powder as far as texture goes. Cant find it on the net but got mine from H&H Sign Supply. You can find them on the bottom of the page.

WrapperX

I always found that knowing how you set up the cut and what its suppose to look like has always been the best for me. Light does help but knowing what you're doing and what you're working on is best.

Marlene

is it mandatory for all newbies to pull up years old threads? just always seems to happen when we get a new person.

joeshaul

They use the search system, but only pay attention to the information and don't really bother to notice the date. It's a fairly common problem with forums of any real age. I'm sure a pre-post page that says "Warning, this topic is X days old, do you still wish to post?" or "The last reply was on X date, do you still wish to post?" would probably eliminate 90% of the thread revivals, but it's not to say that reviving some of these topics is a bad thing.