• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well, Reading made the news again......................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
there were cops on the scene and had set up a crime scene. this guy wouldn't let them do their job, he took things into his own hands

had there been no cops on the scene, he might have been a hero who stepped in. from what the report says, that isn't what happened. I agree that those who are willing to stand up to a criminal act are courageous. those who just take the law into their own hands ar no better than the criminals themselves

Marlene......

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts, but the Police didn't show up for a while after everything took place. This citizen was there during the robbery and called 911 himself. There were no cops or anyone in authority there until a short time later. Those three guys would've been long gone had no one taken matters into their own capable hands.

So, as you said yourself, there were no cops there at any time during all the confrontations or shootings, so he must be a hero or sorts. The Police had to look at surveillance footage to make sure the guy was indeed innocent as they never saw anything first hand. The citizen did not take the law into his own hands, until they pointed the guns at him, after a scuffle, they were both dead. That is called self-defense. He did not purposely put himself in harm's way, but when you are confronted by deadly force or someone related or non-related to you nearby you.... you may act in 100% self defense mode and take the other guy out without any hesitation. He did everything by the book.

Chriswagner92

there were cops on the scene and had set up a crime scene. this guy wouldn't let them do their job, he took things into his own hands

had there been no cops on the scene, he might have been a hero who stepped in. from what the report says, that isn't what happened. I agree that those who are willing to stand up to a criminal act are courageous. those who just take the law into their own hands ar no better than the criminals themselves

The Punisher took the law into his own hands. This guy was protecting himself and his friends employee's/customers

Locals Find!

What I'd pay to see you engage on someone.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Come on Down to Florida anytime Colorado. You are more than welcome to come out to the Gun Club with me and see me engage targets. I am an Air Force Veteran. I was trained to engage my countries enemies. The civilian world isn't that much different, except now my M-16 is an AR-15 and I don't have that nice 3 round burst option (which I sorely miss)

My sidearm is no longer a 9 millimeter it's a .38 special revolver. Doesn't have the same accuracy but, at defending one's family within 40 feet I am not going to miss. If necessary I have other choices to carry also that will allow me to double tap any target I want just about anywhere I want within range.

Marlene

sorry, I think I read it wrong, so he was first on scene before th cops got there. OK, makes a huge difference. bad guys got what they deserved

Gino

Premium Subscriber
oh and Addie with a gun sure makes everyone feel safer I'm sure.

Since I've been a kid, I was always into shooting targets and testing myself for my marksmanship, but I always did it with someone else's firearm. I never really wanted a gun around the house. Come forward to about 5 or 6 years ago and now I can't get enough firearms. I now have the proper paperwork, licenses and many many hours of training under my belt. I feel basically fit to carry, but I don't want to impose on others if I'm going to be in their company. Last night, I had a small reunion with a bunch of guys from back in the mid 60's and we played in a band together, so I asked if anyone was uncomfortable with my carrying, since we were going out to a really nice restaurant. No one seemed to mind, but they made fun of it, so I let my pee shooter locked up in my vehicle. I didn't feel scared without, because it was a very good area, but ya just never know what nut case could stroll in and start a commotion. Other than that, yes..... carrying does make me feel safer to a degree, but I feel it's more of an even playing field, when I carry. People have insurance for driving their car and use that a lot more than I use my gun..... other than on the range. People brush their teeth everyday in hopes they won't fall out. I just carry to help the odds and know my rights... at least in Pennsylvania.

People are taught to be afraid of snakes. When you're a kid, you don't have any idea if that snake is poisonous or friendly, so we're taught to fear and hate all snakes. Not very nice, huh ?? So, most people are taught to fear and hate all guns, because they never learned or understood how they worked. Just because you can't re-build a 327 small block, doesn't mean you won't drive it. Why ?? You don't understand almost any of it, but you still trust it.

Strange how the human makeup will trust one thing.... out of necessity, but not something else for the exact same reason. Sheep are much the same way. :rolleyes:

player

I feel lucky to live in Canada, especially after reading this thread. Nobody here carries guns. We never worry about guns, gun crime, lunatics with guns... none of that is a part of our culture.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I feel lucky you live in Canada, too. :rock-n-roll:

I would suggest to you that you look into your stats a little more closely as to gun violence in your country. I'm afraid it's higher than you think and it's on the rise by over 34% since 2011. If you think by no one having guns legally will stop it, did it ever occur to you that almost all gun crimes/violence are conducted by individuals that came across those firearms illegally, whether they be stolen or just plain in the wrong hands ??

HulkSmash

Come on Down to Florida anytime Colorado. You are more than welcome to come out to the Gun Club with me and see me engage targets. I am an Air Force Veteran. I was trained to engage my countries enemies. The civilian world isn't that much different, except now my M-16 is an AR-15 and I don't have that nice 3 round burst option (which I sorely miss)

My sidearm is no longer a 9 millimeter it's a .38 special revolver. Doesn't have the same accuracy but, at defending one's family within 40 feet I am not going to miss. If necessary I have other choices to carry also that will allow me to double tap any target I want just about anywhere I want within range.

Air Force Veteran? How long were you in for?

player

Well, I feel lucky you live in Canada, too. :rock-n-roll:

I would suggest to you that you look into your stats a little more closely as to gun violence in your country. I'm afraid it's higher than you think and it's on the rise by over 34% since 2011. If you think by no one having guns legally will stop it, did it ever occur to you that almost all gun crimes/violence are conducted by individuals that came across those firearms illegally, whether they be stolen or just plain in the wrong hands ??

Well it may be but a quick search shows this:
"
Firearm-related homicides in Canada at lowest point in 50 years, Statistics Canada reports"

http://o.canada.com/news/national/f...-point-in-50-years-statistics-canada-reports/

It never affects me, people don't carry guns, we never see guns, it is such a different way to live.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Toronto has a very low murder rate, but statistics suggest a definite rise in gun violence. This year alone, the number of shootings in Toronto is up 34 per cent from 2011.

This was the statement I retrieved. I thought it was all of Canada.

Anyway, I've talked to other Canadias who have said, it's not as safe as it used to be, so I'm going by heresay and not propaganda statistics for the most part.

player

Toronto has a very low murder rate, but statistics suggest a definite rise in gun violence. This year alone, the number of shootings in Toronto is up 34 per cent from 2011.

This was the statement I retrieved. I thought it was all of Canada.

Anyway, I've talked to other Canadias who have said, it's not as safe as it used to be, so I'm going by heresay and not propaganda statistics for the most part.

Lol you think Stats Can is propaganda?

Such different cultures...

Marlene

People are taught to be afraid of snakes. When you're a kid, you don't have any idea if that snake is poisonous or friendly, so we're taught to fear and hate all snakes. Not very nice, huh ?? So, most people are taught to fear and hate all guns, because they never learned or understood how they worked. Just because you can't re-build a 327 small block, doesn't mean you won't drive it. Why ?? You don't understand almost any of it, but you still trust it.

not sure I totally get this but I don't fear guns, I fear people with guns. in the small town where my daughter lives a guy ran a red light and nearly hit a woman. she yelled at him and they pulled their cars over to yell at each other. he pulls out a gun and shoots her as it turns out he was having a bad day and just had fought with his wife so he was ticked off. that woman died for nothing because a nitwit with a gun used it to settle something that should have just been a lot of f' yous and f' offs. I fear people with guns as this happens way more often than the hero with the gun. as far as snakes go, I fear none, respect them all and would pick up any to get them out of a road so they don't get hit and have. not sure why knowing how something works or not means anything as who cares how a gun works, it's the mind of the person with it that counts

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there must be some kind of tracking system used by the lottery commission to know what stores issues which tickets no? So what happens if one of the stolen tickets turns out to be a winner?

That would mean that they were going for tickets over ... what, $500-1000 ... anything under that and you can just go hand them in at a local ticket place and get your money ... I don't know a single gas station in town here that makes you fill the back out or gives a flying **** about who turned them in. probably betting the sack full of tickets can net you a few hundred easily with a mess of free tickets to get more. plus it will take a few weeks (or more) to process and figure that out ... and as long as you go into a store you never frequent .. i'm pretty sure they won't know who you are if you wear a hat and sunglasses.

As long as dirty harry doesn't come and mow you down with his hand cannon I'm pretty sure you are good.

Chriswagner92

That would mean that they were going for tickets over ... what, $500-1000 ... anything under that and you can just go hand them in at a local ticket place and get your money ... I don't know a single gas station in town here that makes you fill the back out or gives a flying **** about who turned them in. probably betting the sack full of tickets can net you a few hundred easily with a mess of free tickets to get more. plus it will take a few weeks (or more) to process and figure that out ... and as long as you go into a store you never frequent .. i'm pretty sure they won't know who you are if you wear a hat and sunglasses.

As long as dirty harry doesn't come and mow you down with his hand cannon I'm pretty sure you are good.

I know they scan the back ( in NC at least ) when you buy them. I'm not sure if that like activates it or anything, so when they go to turn them in and the cashier does the scan to get your money It wouldnt read. I'm realizing that probably didn't make any sense.

Marlene

I talk to a Canadian everyday, he's my husband and I have a ton of in-laws all over Canada and not happy with the insult above. just because the stats don't support what you want to believe doesn't make it propaganda. the Canadians you've talked to are just like us and look how all over the page we are on the issue so the stats are far more reliable than opinions a few people

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I talk to a Canadian everyday, he's my husband and I have a ton of in-laws all over Canada and not happy with the insult above. just because the stats don't support what you want to believe doesn't make it propaganda. the Canadians you've talked to are just like us and look how all over the page we are on the issue so the stats are far more reliable than opinions a few people

Marlene, that was not meant as an insult. Not at all. I don't understand how you read it that way, but I'll give in on that one. Not all of the Canadians I know are from this site. However, I'd rather believe the common people and what they are saying, then some poll taken from where..... I don't know. Polls can be fostered to look as one would like it to appear. Like I posted, it said gun crime was up 34% and the other one said it is on the rise, but still low. What I see is, it is on the rise, but not nearly to the degree here in the US.

Regardless, there are gun crimes everywhere in the world and the culprits that use them are usually illegally armed or doing illegal things. I too, am afraid of the nut I know nothing about or even exists [except in my dreams], but being armed, trained and confident, gives me a little edge over someone talking about the logistics of carrying or not. These hoodlums thrive on pouncing upon the weak and innocent. That's what makes it so bad.

Think about it, all these guns crimes in schools by almost all kids... are all done illegally. None of them legally bought a gun. They can't. But they can steal them from a totally legitimate person, friend, family member without their knowing it right away. These things are planned out. Then when reality sets in and they're about to be blown away, they kill themselves. All of it for nothing, just because some kid lost his head for a moment. I was with some people last night and one is a retired school teacher and coach. He said in his little school [somewhere out around York or Gettysburg, PA] there have been shootings and he said, they were all fine upstanding kids. It just doesn't make sense. For the life of me, I don't remember any kids, teachers or principals being killed when I was in school. What's changed ?? Is it the fluoride in the water ?? Do they thoroughly hate the subjects being taught ??

Did you know the only shootings in schools before the 70's or 80's was basically p!ssed off teachers shooting each other over nothing. An occasional kid to kid, but other than that, Indians raided a few schools back in the day taking all and leaving no survivors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bring on the Canada vs. USA debate!!! (insert sarcasm)

:banghead:

I don't think a debate is really necessary. It all depends on which tabloids or polls you choose to visit. Ya hafta admit, there is crime up there, just not to the degree of down here. When making polls work for or against..... you need to know if they are measuring volume of space per capita or person to person. We have tons more people, so it's gonna look bad. The real problem down here is..... guns are still gonna show up even if they take 'em away from us. They'll be smuggled in illegally and guess who for ?? The baddies. :rolleyes:

Marlene

there is a big difference between a poll and a stat. a poll is opinion, stats are based on data. agree that polls can be way off and made to support an issue depending on who you ask. if you ask 500 people an opinion on guns at an NRA meeting or at a Green Peace meeting, I'm willing to bet the polls would be very different. stats based on data are just that, no opinions, just facts. I would trust the facts long before opinions