• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are some unique solutions to storing scrap vinyl?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't scrap mean it's kinda like trash ?? Just put it all in the large garbage can out back and have it hauled away.

If they are of a useable size, we cut various size circles, stripes and stuff in it and then store it in old vinyl boxes all rolled up on a shelf and whenever we need something like that........ presto, there it is. Otherwise, it goes in the dumpster.

rjssigns

If I can't easily cut at least one set of boat registrations out of it in the trash it goes. Yield, drop, scrap whatever ya call it is accounted for in the price.
Some time ago I cleaned out all my "valuable" bit's 'n' bobs. Filled the 8' box on the F350, twice. Haven't missed any of it.

mim

0_o
We have "cubbies" that we store the scrap vinyl in. It's easy to access it and we label the rolls with the type and length it is.
We only save scraps that are >3ft long

Attachments

• 20211011_110251.jpg
    20211011_110251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230

2B

There was a thread about this a while ago. One of the comments was taking a map cabinet and organizing by color per drawer

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
if possible cut into 12 x 12 squares ( or so )and sell to the local circuit crowd on FB or local craft sites -or - you could always donate it to the local schools or scouts for projects ( win - win , get your name out so when they need a sign the call you with any luck )

gnubler

if possible cut into 12 x 12 squares ( or so )and sell to the local circuit crowd on FB or local craft sites -or - you could always donate it to the local schools or scouts for projects ( win - win , get your name out so when they need a sign the call you with any luck )
Good idea. I've been filling a trash bag with anything smaller than 12x12 with the intent to donate it to a school or something.

jimbug72

Yeah, we store our scraps in the dumpster. Once a week a guy comes by in a big truck with a hydraulic lift on the front and picks up the donation. The system works out really well. The scraps are never in our way, and it's super easy to organize since everything goes in the same bin, the guy who picks it up doesn't seem to mind that it isn't sorted by colors or anything.

DeadDoc

I find it ends up in the trash one day or another if it isn't a large piece. Some days I just cut an extra item (spare in case something bad happens somewhere) just to feel like I didn't just throw it away for no reason. It was already destined for the trash so why not try and make it useful before it sits in the land of trash. I used to store foam/coro boards scraps for awhile until I realized that I might use one out of a hundred pieces.

If you did your job (or the logistical person) right then there should be enough padding to not need to care about much in the way of scraps as noted above. Yeah, keeping them means less wasted money and more profit, but is it really worth it for the lost space?