• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What causes those nasty email returns?

gabagoo

I have never figured out why the same companies I send emails to always seem to go through phases where my emails get bounced back.
I then have to go into a gmail account to resend the invoices and they do go through.
Is there something wrong with sending from Outlook?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you do email marketing and get enough complaints, you can be black listed which is then used in email filtering programs. Some companies just set their spam filters too high and miss important emails too.

netsol

I have never figured out why the same companies I send emails to always seem to go through phases where my emails get bounced back.
I then have to go into a gmail account to resend the invoices and they do go through.
Is there something wrong with sending from Outlook?
because the idiots who administer their email are not terribly f**king good at it

my largest client replaced my company with a large MSP when i decided i was semi retired.
it has been 18 months and my email doesn't arrive reliably
(i hosted email since 1992 but you can only have one hand in the pot at a time & i told them to take over...)

spam filtering is not static. people complain they are getting garbage and whoever is administering the email "turns up the volume" and more email bounces

you can waste some time going over spam guidelines but it is a pain in the ass

rossmosh

Most people have their webspace hosted on shared servers. Those shared servers host lots and lots of different clients. If some of those clients start spamming email, it will result in essentially the server getting listed as a source of spam. So now your emails are treated a spam. Even if your customer adds your email as an exception, it could get overwritten any time the spam filter is updated.

The reason gmail "always" works is because no one is crazy enough to block millions of emails coming from google's servers.

This is why I pay Google $6/mo to host my email. It's not perfect, but I very rarely get an email kicked back. If you don't want to use Google, you can also use Microsoft reliably. Outside of those 2, there are lots of smaller companies you can use. Many I'm sure are reliable. I just went with Google because it made my life the easiest.

Scotchbrite

No comment
When we first setup our website we didn't want to pay for email hosting so we had it all forwarded to our Earthlink email. Once day we got a call from the host company telling me we HAD to set up our email hosting. We were marking emails as spam in Earthlink and since it was forwarded from our host company's server, Earthlink and others decided it was a problem server and started flagging emails from all of their clients as spam. Oops!

Scotchbrite

No comment
Most people have their webspace hosted on shared servers. Those shared servers host lots and lots of different clients. If some of those clients start spamming email, it will result in essentially the server getting listed as a source of spam. So now your emails are treated a spam. Even if your customer adds your email as an exception, it could get overwritten any time the spam filter is updated.

The reason gmail "always" works is because no one is crazy enough to block millions of emails coming from google's servers.

This is why I pay Google $6/mo to host my email. It's not perfect, but I very rarely get an email kicked back. If you don't want to use Google, you can also use Microsoft reliably. Outside of those 2, there are lots of smaller companies you can use. Many I'm sure are reliable. I just went with Google because it made my life the easiest.
I noticed today 75% of the junk mail I got was from a gmail address. I suppose that's why.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We switched to Google a few months ago and it's really good at filtering spam and keeping the good emails. I just wish the interface wasn't so wonky.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That could quite possibly be the answer. Seems logical to me.................... :u rock:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I’ve noticed if they want something they email but when you send an invoice they mysteriously don’t respond back. Yup silly if I get invoice I print it out or I forget about it and it gets lost in my emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk