• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a Vinyl Sticker and what is a Vinyl decal?

toonsign

Good afternoon,

I cut vinyl in 1, 2 and 3 colors, then overlay each color on top of one another to create "3 color decals".

I see others who print on vinyl and call them decals.

My question is, if you print on vinyl and cut to size, is it a sticker or decal?

Thank you,

Fred
Melbourne FL

A preference. A decal is a sticker. A sticker is a decal. Same thing. Decal makes it appear as though you are somehow better then the guy that prints "stickers" on his home computer. Personally we sell Adhesive Backed Vinyl Artwork. Lie. We make Decals also.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I always thought of stickers as something they put on my kid's homework in kindergarten when he got a good grade.
Decal just sound more professional to me- whether it's a printed decal or plotter cut decal. Or printed decal, cut to shape, etc.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Decal is simply a word preferred by many because it sounds more professional. Either can be used to describe an adhesive backed vinyl graphic (solid color(s) or printed and cut) that is intended to be installed onto a substrate.

As long as customers are getting vinyl to make "deecals" or "deckals", I'm fine with however it's pronounced. But yes, we do say "deckals" up here:Big Laugh And my brother who lives in Louisiana loves to make me cringe..."deecals"...:banghead:

cmwpmm

Yeah, I don't think there is any industry standard definitions here. I know at our company, we refer to anything printed on a roll of vinyl and cut out on another machine as a decal. Anything we print on the Xerox, using previously die-cut sheets, we call a label. But of course, these terms only apply to us in house. Our customers are clueless to our naming conventions and will call absolutely anything we send them by any name they can think of. Just today I had a guy refer to velcro as foam tape. And last week I argued with a guy who thought .020 polystyrene was "paper".

Jburns

I would define a sticker: 1. something that is produced in the hundreds- is not waterproof and for short term promotions ( sales, price markdowns- paper and inkjet based).

I would define a decal:2. a product made for - long term use- waterproof- and made for outdoor exposure- usually lower quantities.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Per Google:

Decal - a design prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass, porcelain, or metal.

Sticker -
an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated. Synonym - Decal

To me, decals are what my father and I put on our model rockets growing up as a decoration or embellishment. A sticker is something that has a message like a bumper "sticker" or a sticker with a cartoon on it after getting a shot.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We've had many quote requests lately asking for "deck-uls"...and as mentioned, Canadian or WAY up north U.S. Cracks us up, all being Texan. But I despise people calling them 'stickers'. Stickers are what gets stuck in your socks and shoelaces when you're out in the woods.

We've had many quote requests lately asking for "deck-uls"...and as mentioned, Canadian or WAY up north U.S. Cracks us up, all being Texan. But I despise people calling them 'stickers'. Stickers are what gets stuck in your socks and shoelaces when you're out in the woods.
You have woods down there...:wink:.. in the US, eh??:rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, is it a bumper decal or bumper sticker ??

Does Chiquita or Dole use stickers or decals ??

Are post-it notes considered decals or stickers ??

What are those little red/orange things called with a price on it for various items in a store ??

This could get very intense and splitting of the ways. :bookworm

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
So, is it a bumper decal or bumper sticker ?? trash

Does Chiquita or Dole use stickers or decals ?? label

Are post-it notes considered decals or stickers ?? notes

What are those little red/orange things called with a price on it for various items in a store ?? price tags

Billct2

I'm with Tim, we usually refer to what we do as "Vinyl Graphics", though when selling items for customer application we will use the "Decal" term.
Stickers are what my kids get on their homework.