• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of shop do you have?

carm

It seems most shops are run out of the house. I'm courious if these home shops are full time businesses, part time or hobbies. I work out of my home office as a hobby but would like to develope into a full time operation.

JMDigital

Wow been a while for this topic.. well here is my pics of my converted garrage..

You can see my CJ500 - HP Color Laser 8550 and Spike the guard dog..

Attachments

• IMG_1956sm.jpg
    IMG_1956sm.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1960sm.jpg
    IMG_1960sm.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1961sm.jpg
    IMG_1961sm.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1962sm.jpg
    IMG_1962sm.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 280

SignManiac

I'm running my operation from a 3,200 s.f. building with a 12x60 gutted trailer for storage and painting. I live in about 700 s.f. of the shop so there's no commute to work. My equipment is beginning to eat up most of my space. I have a 5'x10' CNC router table, a new 72" UV flatbed printer, a Roland 54" EX pro Soljet, a 60" seal lamintor, 30" and 40" Ana AE plotters collecting dust, panel saw, diesel powered air compressor and about every small power tool you could ever need.

With so many projects going at any given time, space is a precious commodity. I'm already looking ahead to my future needs and even a 10k s.f. building would get cramped in no time.

One thing for sure. No matter how much room you have today, it wont be enough for tomorrow.

I do remember all to well my beginning years. I worked for 18 years out of a 1,000 s.f. basement before moving to florida and the location I'm now in.

gtjet

We have a shop at home 30 x 28 and a 35 x 40 foot steel buidling about 15 minutes away that we use for storage and fabrication. Not convenient but it works.

grafixhenk

26 x 26 ft converted commercial garage 2 bay area on Hw 66, printers, cutters and pc's on one side plus customer counter. Other bay serves as construction and installation area. We are running out of room so hope to expand to larger building pretty soon.

OldPaint

mine isnt finished yet....in the pic you see a set of double white doors......on this end iam going to add a 12ft x 24ft 10 ft tall office area which i then will move the computer/plotter etc from the house to there. on the other end of the building iam goan do a 10x24 concrete pad with a leanto roof for "dirt work" area. when finished ill have close to 1200 sq ft.

thesignshop.ws

Started off in one room in the basement and it ended up taking over the whole basement. Got a knock at the door one day from codes and off we went for a storefront. Currently we are in a 2000 sq/ft space in a small shopping center. The knock at the door was a blessing.
Our layout now is about a 20" x 20" showroom upfront. another room in back of that for our machines and vinyls and then the rest is shop with shelves, tables, saws, etc. Also have a big bay door capable of pulling in "barely" a fire engine.

kalvix

We are closing on our Work house next week. a 1500 sqft house with a 24x35 "garage" and soon to be kick ass shop. we are guessing it will last until next summer before we outgrow it. It was a nice foreclosure and should flip nicely when the time comes.

williamson design

I do signs part time, but I don't consider it a hobby. I do all my production work in my basement, and use my garage when things are too big to get in or out of there. I have been doing signwork since Nov 1996.

I too would like to take this to a fulltime career, but im not quitre there yet. The only bumps in the road for me are sales and health insurance.

For my full time current position, I am a graphic designer for a local college. I work on large format digital printing, presentation graphics, and web design.

Glen

mystysue

Our shop is 1800 sf retail location 50 feet off the main street in pasadena (yeah the one the rose parade goes down). Its an older building but It has been there 6 years.. we are in the process of getting it beautiful as its rather blah right now. We aslo have an upstairs (an additional 900-1200 sq ft.)that isnt being used at all right now and we are not sure what we are gonna do with that part of the building.
We do get some walk in business but most of our business is long standing accounts and word of mouth. The business has been around for like 18 years. .. ( we we bought the shop it looked like it hadnt been updated since day one) .. .. we have a older cutter.. that came with the business that is a Graphtec it is a real work horse and goes and goes, and we have a vision engraver that does little plaques and such that is a real money maker as we do all the little panel signs that the city requires electricians to put in when ever they work in electrical boxes. and our new roland versacamm.
I really need to talke some pictures of the shop as before pictures as things are changing there daily ..

Flame

Well, I'm working out of my house at the moment (um... about HALF of my house), and I seriously need to move. I have one of my laminators in my kitchen, one plotter and my printer in the living room, and the office is PACKED! I think I found a good building thought. About 1000 sq. ft. (not counting an attached vehicle bay). Should work good for 1-3 man outfit like I am right now. I've only officially been in the biz for a year and a half, but it's been going great. Can't wait to push it even further and find a bigger place.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Well. I've given this storefront a 7 month shot now, and wjile I've enjoyed working away from home after the better part of ove twenty year, I'm seriously considering completely revampling an attached garage we don't use - except for storage. I'll hafta get a storage bldg for out back Gonna insulate, drywall it, and put in a ceiling. Plans also call for a semi-enclosed metal carport in front of it.

My house is zoned commercial, and I have a separate entrance that is very obvious to customers. The business here just has not come up even halfway to my expectations. I am, however, still pursuing a business plan to expand a great deal and build a business I can sell around ten years from now to retire. I think the pursuit of that would be easier if I moved back home and saved a lot on overhead to build up some equity capital to have on hand when I go looking for funding.

STILL not sure about it all yet, but I'm only a few weeks away from a considerable financial windfall, an inheritance of sorts, that would make it quite feasible for me to hire contractors to get the garage into the configuration I want it Nice extra to my home is both a circular drive off the street and a long straight one at the side going back to the garage/shop. Plus, as I said about being zoned commercial, I can have a tasteful sign at my drive near the street to be easy to find.

WHAT would YOU do given this info?

Mrs. Uneedasign

It sounds perfect,I'm a little envious!We would love to move to a similar type property,but can't right now,got one in high school.If the new store front isn't what you thought it would be,maybe it's the wise choice, can't tell you how many of are friends that have had shops and tell us to stay put,the commercial rent is extremely high buck here.It's killing the husband to hold back,but he is.We need to have a little more tucked away.Why do you think it work for you at the new store front? Just curious,we can learn from others.Good luck on your decision.

iSign

Arlo,
I'm not able to type a long reply right now, but before I miss the chance to share an opinion... I think that is a bad idea.
The location you are at & the long history of being there is an important componant of the value of the business. that is one reason it hasn't meet your expectations yet... & also the main reason I suggest thinking long and hard about abandoning the idea too quickly. working out of a home shop usually brings down the overhead AND the gross sales... It could stioll be profitable, but the growth potential during your next 10 years may be less AND the value to resell it will be seriously compromized unless you sell your house with it.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Mrs. Uneedasign said:
Why do you think it work for you at the new store front? Just curious,we can learn from others.Good luck on your decision.

Actually, it DIDN'T work as well as anticipated! I sold out a little over five years ago, and referred most of the people who still contacted to me to SteveC on this board. When I decided to re-open, I mistakenly assumed everyone would still rememberr me after five years! Some did, most didn't. A few of the better clients stayed with SteveC... but that was OK because I've never subscribed to the idea that a sign shop "owns" any given customers. When I do mass marketings, I don't skip the customers I know to be clients of other shops.

I just took a chance that a shop on a busy highway that I got for a mere $550 a month was worth the risk. I didn't sign a lease fortunately, bevause I told the owner lots of things might have changed in the 5 years I was out of business. I've always tried (on 5 comm. locations now over nearly 30 years) to rent without a lease, usually for an agreed on 6 months, to see if the location will produce for me. Half of 'em let me do it. It's always worth a shot.

iSign

I've been wanting to expand, & hoping a space opens upin my building. A space adjacent to mine would of course be my preference. I had one space open up in the from, but it was considered "retail" instead of "warehouse" ...so it was a lot higher per sq. ft. so I didn't get it... but when I thought of making a counter offer... I had the same thought. Get a 6 month opportunity on month-to-month terms... just in case!

In a proper location, for the product and/or service offered, the added overhead is small - as compared to the added revenues. Also, still agreeing with Doug, a good part of a business' value does entail property and/or leases.

On the other hand, as in Arlo's situation, it sounds as if he has primarily worked from home. This does come without its advantages (like going to work OP style). IMO, it is a habit thing. Once a person gets into tht habit, it is hard to avoid the "draw". Overhead is only one of the factors that keep people at home.

Arlo - What are the odds that you would really leave the signage business? I am not talking extended vacation - I mean walk away and never look back. I am only guessing, but the answer is probably never.

Therefore, IMO, you actually need to build two businesses. One that is retail, in a productive location - and another that is specialty or wholesale (preferably things that require a shop & expertise, not a store), operating out of the backyard.

If it did not break the bank - I would build - unless you plan on moving.

VinylLabs.com

I just closed my office, which was a tiny little thing, and am looking for somewhere to put the stuff. I was thinking in a spare room in the basement, but we have too much stuff in the rooms as they are.

my office was only 72 sqr feet. 36 sqr feet was used by a table.