• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kinda paint..........................??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm building a shed on the back side of my property and I'm using old signs from around the shop for the walls and gates. All the wood is in excellent shape, but some are handpainted, some are vinyl and paint combo, while some are digitally printed vinyl with and without laminate. Right now, the shed looks rather eclectic and I wanna paint it all one color, probably tan.

My question is..... is there any one primer I can use that will go over all the paint, vinyl and laminates and be still be a good foundation ?? Like Jay Cook's or something similar ?? I'll top coat it with some Ronan paint that I mix up to get the desired color I want.

Any input would help.

:thankyou: Gino

attachment.php

Attachments

• shed walls.jpg
    shed walls.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 179

OldPaint

Kilz..........5 gal)))) WHO DA CAR-PEN-DOUCE-SKI??? see a lot of things i wouldnt do or done differently)))))
but iam a draftsman.........did a lot of building prints)))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Didn't think of Kilz. I'll check that out on the way home tonight. Have a few more things to pick up.

While it's a kinda moot point, what would you have done differently ?? Keeping in mind about 90% of everything there was stuff from the shop. No out-a-pocket costs. Remember too, this is just a shed, nothing that hasta last more the 10 or 15 years. My old shed is 28 years old and in basically perfect shape. Nothing rotting or broken, except for where three branch limbs fell through the roof a few years ago and I had to repair it.

Billct2

I think Kilz would work or maybe Chromatic Universal Primer.
Tint it to make it easier to cover.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,
Just built a 12X10 myself..
I added
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-10-pc-kit-68751.html

Great solar system for a shed, comes with lights and all.
Easy to install, I can run my saw off it and radio as well.
This way you dont have to run electric.. Put panels on roof, get a battery and go
That's fantastic. I wasn't gonna run any electric to it, cause it's about 160' from the house, let alone about 220' from the main. All I need is a little light and a radio and I'm set. The roofline was built that way, cause it faces due south, so I'd get direct sun all day long if I put those panels on the roof. Do they weigh much ?? I might hafta reinforce it a little more if they are heavy.

Thanks.......:thumb:

laserman70

That's fantastic. I wasn't gonna run any electric to it, cause it's about 160' from the house, let alone about 220' from the main. All I need is a little light and a radio and I'm set. The roofline was built that way, cause it faces due south, so I'd get direct sun all day long if I put those panels on the roof. Do they weigh much ?? I might hafta reinforce it a little more if they are heavy.

Thanks.......:thumb:

You have any questions, pm me.
Super easy and cheap.

signbrad

XIM Flash Bond is design specifically for problem substrates.

In all the years I've been a painter, it is the only thing I know of that you can apply to a porcelain sign and it will stick.
It dries quickly and can be finish coated in a short time.

I used to use it to block out billboards covered in Scotchlite lettering. Rolling from the ground with a 20-foot extension handle, and starting at one end of the board, I could begin finish coating as soon as I reached the end. I could sometimes begin lettering soon after finish coating if I was using a paint like Ronan Fast-Dry Background Enamel.

This primer is very aggressive and has strong solvents. It will rip a foam roller to shreds in a short time, so use something tougher or brush it. Spraying it is best if it's practical.

On a hot day this primer can dry faster than you can spread it out. So for brushing, I used to slow it down with mineral spirits.

attachment.php

Brad in Kansas City

Attachments

• Xim Flash Bond 400.jpg
    Xim Flash Bond 400.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 172

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That whole set up just went on sale for $129, instead of $199. Yippee !!!

Got the solar panel kit, but haven't installed it on the roof. Works great so far. Harbor Freight had a 'parking lot sale' about 2 weeks ago, so I got it and it was even cheaper, yet.

Thanks again for that input. Might put it on the roof this weekend or maybe next. See what time is allowed to do it. Gonna mount it to a 2' x 4" frame and bolt directly into the roof. This thing is slicker than sh!t. I got a 3,000 inverter.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
OMG....stick to signs....

your framing is atrocious, I give is ten years and it's falling over, or five if you live in a windy area....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not going anywhere, in 5 or 10 years. I'll take a picture in 10 years and post it...... if you're still alive. :Big Laugh

OldPaint

#1. what ........is the back wall??? loooks like some kinda fiber board.
#2. IN THE 1ST PICS..........
behind the shed to the right.......WHAT DA HELL IS DAT???

ddarlak

Go Bills!
shed.jpg

A: this is a weak spot in your design, it might as well be a hinge...

B: this is not even close to a header, 2x4' on their belly is the absolute worst for a header, ever

C: 2x4' cannot span that far for rafter.

the future of you "shed" is as follows:

roof will sag from the weight, putting stress on the weak "hinge", unexpected 60 MPH just of wind comes by and starts wrenching on that "hinge".... shed falls apart...

I would like to see a picture of this on August 29th 2026, i'd expect to see a nice grassy area where a shed once was....

OldPaint

sorry 2 x 4 can span up to 12 feet long.....with a roof of lightweight cover. wind wont bother the roof as it has a single pitch, wind comin at it high side..........will form a sorta vacuum between roof and wind over the peak......so no pressure down on the 2x4's. wind coming from low end to high end......with that pitch it will help keep roof in place with some down force.
i live in PENSACOLA hurricane IVAN 2004, i sat in this house with 150-160 mph winds.......and i built a metal building to specs of 140 MPH WIND LOAD))))
2 X6'S WOULDA BEEN BETTER but i dont see pa having a high SNOW LOAD, and the pitch is sharp enough for it not to build up on it to the point of collapse. i was a draftsman in aroostook county maine..........and roof load there was 90 pounds per sq foot)))
what i would done different
4x4 corner posts, shoulda been bolted direct floor 4 x 4, then floor cut to fit around them. wall clet and header shoulda had another 1 1/2" 2x4 bolted to upright corner 4x4 then header above door way....shoulda been a double 2x4 or 4x4 with a lag bolt thru corner posts to header............much more structural strong. but then i alway build "overkill" way more then needed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
attachment.php

A: this is a weak spot in your design, it might as well be a hinge...

B: this is not even close to a header, 2x4' on their belly is the absolute worst for a header, ever

C: 2x4' cannot span that far for rafter.

the future of you "shed" is as follows:

roof will sag from the weight, putting stress on the weak "hinge", unexpected 60 MPH just of wind comes by and starts wrenching on that "hinge".... shed falls apart...

I would like to see a picture of this on August 29th 2026, i'd expect to see a nice grassy area where a shed once was....

Hahahahahaha.................. :ROFLMAO:

Silly boy, It's a shed, not a building with any weight bearing walls. It's the way any 'lean to' type shed is built by professionals.

Your point 'A' after having the ends cut off to be square, was enclosed with a metal trim about 8" or 10" going up the wall and over onto another 2" x 6" beam with another 6" or so and nailed into that as well.
All headers when you build a wall are made like that.
The rafters and most everything else is 2" x 3"s and all the roof rafters are sistered in. There were two of us up there dancing around when putting the aluminum roof overtop of the wooden 4' x 8's.

And no Old Paint, it is not fiber board. It's 3/4" duraply or what most people today refer to as MDO.

Roof will not sag and even being up on the side of a hill like this, the winds rarely get bad from that direction, becasue of all the trees and natural barriers around the place. There are about 4 acres of nice grass around already. Would you like a picture of that in the meantime ??​