• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What paint for lexan pan face sign refurbishment?

JERHEMI

I'm interested in refurbishing an old, yellowed lexan pan face sign for a customer. Once it's painted need to apply vinyl graphics on it. The lights for it aren't functional anymore so I'm not worried about it being translucent anymore. What white paint can I use in a gallon that I can just roll it on? Something that isn't going to flake off? Something that will allow for vinyl to stick to? Thanks in advance!

Moze

If it were me, I would replace the formed face with a flat face since illumination is no longer a concern. Saves having to deal with peeling paint, peeling vinyl, etc.

Billct2

I like Moze's suggestion, use an ACM panel, probably cheaper, better looking and longer lasting.
But if you have to you can clean & prime with something like Kilz and then a gloss oil base paint.
Of course you realize you will also be told you are a hack soiling the reputation of a once great craft.

JERHEMI

I forgot to mention...these are just temporary. The building is getting demolished in 6 months. The owner don't want the existing graphics on the signs and needs to update with current info til it's demolished. The vinyl is literally baked on them and I can't get it off. Tried heat and MBX vinyl zapper....vinyl zapper took vinyl off, but also started taking layers of lexan with it. Just want to roll paint on, put new vinyl on and be done with it. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Z SIGNS

Sounds like a hack job

Customer does not want his illuminated sign working?
Is he to cheap.
That being the case if you want to work for this kind of client.
Make a sticker and slap it over the old face.
Done

JERHEMI

Customer does not want his illuminated sign working?
Is he to cheap.
That being the case if you want to work for this kind of client.
Make a sticker and slap it over the old face.
Done

Please see comment right above this. I think we were typing at the same time.

Moze

That's what I'm thinking - one large vinyl overlay. Done. Probably last better than paint, even if it is just over a 6 month period.

player

Illuminated signs are not rolled on. It is sprayed on very carefully with special translucent plastic paint. Some guys do roll on Tremclad though.

You should just make a big sticker and get the hell out of there.

Andy D

If I had to paint it and not cover with a decal or replace with composite aluminum
I would probably buy a couple cans of spray paint made for plastic.
Just beware the plastic is probably brittle and you need to let the customer
know if it breaks it's not you.

S'N'S

Because it's not going to be working and demolished in 6 months, if it's a flat face, I would put a cheap vinyl print over it....collect the $ and be done with it.

MikePro

banner/coroplast + screw it over the existing face
if its just temporary, paint is already overkill ....so is vinyl removal.