• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer for the hobbyist which got enough of L25500?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If you're looking for cheap and a printer that is relatively easy to maintain, might look for a SP-300V, although it is older technology, you still can get decent prints and it's a 30" printer & cutter. You'd still need to do a manual cleaning once a week, but once you get used to it, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do.

Chris Formela

If you're looking for cheap and a printer that is relatively easy to maintain, might look for a SP-300V, although it is older technology, you still can get decent prints and it's a 30" printer & cutter. You'd still need to do a manual cleaning once a week, but once you get used to it, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do.
yes. I've seen few on ebay. Was wondering what they are like. Ill check the spec. Thank you.

Chris Formela

Just had a look on mentioned Epson SC-9000.

Could someone tell me the practical difference between this type of printer and eco-solvent (Mimaki CJV-150 for example). I know that it's different technology. Can mentioned Epson print on vinyls or paper only??
But what would be the pros and cons in my case?? Please keep in mind that I'm completely new to big format printing. Thank you

EDIT: I think, that I found out all major differences and Epson SC-P9000 wouldn't suit me.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

Could someone tell me the practical difference between this type of printer and eco-solvent (Mimaki CJV-150 for example). I know that it's different technology. Can mentioned Epson print on vinyls or paper only??
But what would be the pros and cons in my case?? Please keep in mind that I'm completely new to big format printing. Thank you

EDIT: I think, that I found out all major differences and Epson SC-P9000 wouldn't suit me.
I think you already figured out what is going to work best for you. FWIW, I agree. The only other one to add to your list is the ucjv but I'd stick with the regular ecosolvent cjv.

ikarasu

Yup. I'm aware of that :) I'll be printing lot of completely random stuff. With many mistakes, errors, corrections. Finding correct colours to match particular machine etc.
So far, after watching several videos about CJV150 I'm slowly falling in love in it (if someone knows better alternative then plz let me know). Also it looks much cheaper to run than l25500 as there is no need for the Maintenance unit which is quite pricey (plus at least 2m of media every time I want to check and clean the heads.)
Solvent printers come with their own problems. If you're not printing every 2-3 days, a solvent isnt the right choice for you.

It wastes quite a bit of ink doing head cleanings as well - You dont have a maintenance cartridge, but it'll still spit all the ink out into a bottle that you have to empty... and watching yourself pour out a liter of ink (Latex does it too!) Sucks...especially if you've only used the machine once a month.

You don't waste as much leader though - You can pretty much start right at the edge, especially if you leave your media on the printer. If you handle it with your hands...you'll get handprints in the first foot or so, still way better than the latex's though.

Are you laminating? Latex ink is much, much more scratch resistant than solvent ink... being on an arcade, you're hopfully laminating so that wont be a problem... Just pointing it out because I only saw a mention of graphtec and a printer.

Solvent is nice, but so is Latex. To me, it feels like you're switching for all the wrong reasons. Latex's are kings for if you don't print every day - Solvent heads do a lot of cleanings if you're not printing... which means a lot of wasted ink. You may not buy a $150 maintenance cart for the solvent... but I bet you waste more money on maintenance on the solvent printer than you do on your latex.

You should also do a ink cost comparison. Comparing our newest gen epson to newest gen latex.... the epson uses more ink, it lays down more as well as wastes more during cleaning. I cant speak for the printer your looking at, or the L2250 because it's so old... But its something you'll want to compare before making the switch. Also... solvent ink needs to dry for a few hours before you cut it / apply it. Not the end of the world... But coming from a latex, you should know the downsides / benefits of both!

Another thing to consider is if you're putting it in an enclosed area. Solvent inks never bother me... But they do to some, and they are pretty dangerous in a non ventilated / open area.

I replaced my latex with an Epson S40 in my garage. I sealed it up so it stays warm - Everyday that I'm printing... theres a dozen or so dead ants all across the floor. It's like theyre attracted to the smell and they goto it and just die. Of course ant lungs are tinier than human lungs.... but CJV is pretty old and using the stronger inks I believe, not the "Green guard safe" inks. So if you have a kid and you're putting it in a room he spends time in... I wouldn't.

Do some Latex Vs solvent google searches. The Latex over exaggerates as well as the solvents... But theyre both pretty good at pointing out the downsides of the other technology.

Jburns

Just checked the spec of BN-20. I love the idea of metallic or white ink but size really is a problem. I might consider it in the future as a 2nd printer unless there is bigger alternative for it.

edit: Looks like CJV150 also offers metallic and white.
Dont get the metallic and white for your printer.

Chris Formela

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you time and effort.

ikarasu - yes. I got the laminator. I believe that lot of mentioned by me problems is related with the age of L25500. There is possibility that more modern latex HPs are more economical and handle inks and media better way but they would be out of my budget.
I'll give a chance to solvent this time and see how it goes. Honestly, I think any newer printer will be better than my existing.

Dont get the metallic and white for your printer.
Yes. I probably won't use it often enough to have it (and maintain it) but Orange colour on CJV is still nice addition.

Chris Formela

I think you already figured out what is going to work best for you. FWIW, I agree. The only other one to add to your list is the ucjv but I'd stick with the regular ecosolvent cjv.
UCJV would be my dream machine. Specially due to the A to B film and transfer but unfortunately, way out of my budget. :mad: Meantime, I got my small chinese A4 UV printer based on Epson L800 components.

Chris Formela

BTW Thought that I might show you all my latest resto job. Cabinet repainted using stencil vinyl and playfield restored completely, using stencils, water slides etc. Still lot of work to do for the owner but I've been only asked to do cab and the playfield.

Attachments

• 20220506_192456.jpg
    20220506_192456.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220506_192519.jpg
    20220506_192519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220506_192910.jpg
    20220506_192910.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 90

FrankW

You will not be happy with an eco-solvent if printing just from time to time. When using metallic ink you will see that even without printing you have to buy new inks every few months just because of maintenance ink loss.

The Epson with Light Gray, orange and green ink will print much more brilliant colors than eco solvent or Latex. And it needs less maintenance.

If a printer like the Epson is nothing for you, for small volumes you should not buy an own printer, better let your prints be done by a service supplier.

Chris Formela

You will not be happy with an eco-solvent if printing just from time to time. When using metallic ink you will see that even without printing you have to buy new inks every few months just because of maintenance ink loss.

The Epson with Light Gray, orange and green ink will print much more brilliant colors than eco solvent or Latex. And it needs less maintenance.

If a printer like the Epson is nothing for you, for small volumes you should not buy an own printer, better let your prints be done by a service supplier.

I know what you mean. I can imagine that the colours on epson are great but from what I can see it cant print on roll media nor the vinyls at all. Just paper or photo paper. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also might need to print on clear vinyl in the future so White might be interesting add-on even if not needed at the moment.

Chris Formela

Friend of mine just offered me Roland Versacamm VS-420 for a free loan (or possibly for a symbolic price) as it does nothing at moment. Any thoughts on this printer?

Last edited:

ikarasu

has it been in use? If its been sitting there doing nothing for a long period of time... odds are it needs more maintenance than it's worth, including possibly new heads worth a couple grand. If its been in use...It's not a bad printer.

CanuckSigns

Do you have a makerspace near you? A lot of them have large format printers you can use. Large format printers are meant to be used on a regular basis, leave them for too long and you will have issues..

Chris Formela

has it been in use? If its been sitting there doing nothing for a long period of time... odds are it needs more maintenance than it's worth, including possibly new heads worth a couple grand. If its been in use...It's not a bad printer.
Thats the problem. It had brand new head installed but been left for a while. He is going to run it and test it for me in next few days.