• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what should I do about this?

gabagoo

I made a sign for a customer a few months back... It was done on a brushed aluminum alupanel and was to be mounted on an inner wall in the foyer of their building. It was not even that big, maybe 15" x 20".

We put it up using double sided foam tape from a sign supplier on a painted wall.

I get a call this week that the sign has fallen down several times and needs to be fixed.

I went to pick it up and the sign is all damaged from repeated falling on the floor, but what is weird is that there is no visible signs that the sign was ever on the painted wall. The wall was burgundy and I saw absolutely no signs of glue residue or anything.

When the girl gave me the sign I could see that the foam tape was all rough and had the look that a much of it was not there and had that rough appearance that it would have when you generally remove foam tape.

I asked her how the tape could look like this and yet there is nothing on the wall?

She said they put the sign down on a counter and it got stuck after a few days and had to pry it off, thus ripping most of the tape off.

So, I guess there is nothing wrong with the tape here and there must be something in that paint that will not allow adhesive to stick?

I will redo the sign, but how would I know in the future if this would happen again with a different customer?

Worst part about about this is that I used that offcut of brushed aluminum alupanel and fear I will not have anymore in stock....yikes!!

Si Allen

A couple of 10d nails should do it!

Seriously ... there are now paints that have silicone or teflon in them ... nothing ill stick to them! They do that so the paint will shed dirt and grime.

anotherdog

was it the tape?
I have never had a problem with VBH. I use so much of it though that the plaster is stuck to the sign.
option 2 is screw a small acrylic panel to the wall and tape to that.

CanuckSigns

Like I said on the Phone barry, tell them that the paint on the walls isn't allowing your tape to stick, so the only other option would be to put 4 small screws into the wall. I know they don't want screws, but if you are having to replace the sign for free, that's the only way you are going to do it.

I've got some nice brushed aluminum screw cover-heads that would look nice, I can send you 4 if you like.

Billct2

Agree, the paint is the problem. I would use a french cleat for a clean look.
Yiou could always use some brush silver vinyl for the background.

TammieH

Speaking of French Cleats, does anyone use or know where to get aluminum extruded French cleats? We use to use them back in Ohio, but I can't remember who the supplier is.

Locals Find!

Use liquid nails and I guarantee it won't fall off ever again. Of course it will take a chunk of drywall with it when you do rip it off. Use the contractor grade stuff. Its amazing what you can stick with the stuff.

Great for pranks if you got the stones to glue someones entire contents of their tool box to the ceiling of their shop.

CanuckSigns

Speaking of French Cleats, does anyone use or know where to get aluminum extruded French cleats? We use to use them back in Ohio, but I can't remember who the supplier is.

Check out an issue of signcraft, there are about 5 companies advertizing in there that sell it, I don't have one here or I would look.

cdiesel

Liquid nails, silicone, or some cleat system would work..

We usually get our French cleats from Outwater Plastics. I think they call them panel clips.