• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do about a failed install?

Billct2

This is why I don't do two things
1. Install other peoples graphics (at least not without a specific agreement that I am not responsible if they don't work)
2. Work on people's vanity cars

I am with those who say without a prior agreement you are responsible for replacing the graphics.
But I wouldn't install them.

equippaint

Have a bunch of employees "buy" the product and then leave reviews. Too easy. You lose a couple bucks to give yourself five star reviews. No biggie.
It will mess up your account and end up costing you more in listing fees and lowers your seller rating. You have to ship your item with tracking, if you don't, even with customer pickup, it dings you for not uploading and verifying tracking. There is no way around that and it doesn't matter if the package arrives on time. If you did it 100 times, you would need over 1000 transactions to offset it to be above standard, 2000 to be a top rated seller unless you shipped yourself something every time you did that. That would be a PITA and expensive.
I know what you're saying but Ebay has a pretty tight system unlike other online places.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It will mess up your account and end up costing you more in listing fees and lowers your seller rating. You have to ship your item with tracking, if you don't, even with customer pickup, it dings you for not uploading and verifying tracking. There is no way around that and it doesn't matter if the package arrives on time. If you did it 100 times, you would need over 1000 transactions to offset it to be above standard, 2000 to be a top rated seller unless you shipped yourself something every time you did that. That would be a PITA and expensive.
I know what you're saying but Ebay has a pretty tight system unlike other online places.

100% correct. I sold scrap metal and electronic parts for years and they progressively got stricter and stricter on sellers.. went way over board on that whole "defects" BS they used to knock sellers out of their discount status. I'd trust ebay reviews better than Amazon. An Amazon seller can pay to have their product shipped out to people JUST to get reviews.

ikarasu

What does it ding you? I have 200+ feedback, 100% score. I've used tracking numbers maybe 10 times... Most of my stuff is small stickers I throw in an envelope.

I haven't paid for a listing fee in years either... For some reason I ha e hundreds of free listing, every month I seem.to get more. I only pay the final transaction fees.

I don't sell much, just decals friends designed. But now I'm curious whether my fees are higher, or Will be higher once my freebies stop coming in. Hopefully it's a usa thing and canada is different... Over here it'd cost an extra $8-10 just to track something. Shipping in Canada is exhorbant.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What does it ding you? I have 200+ feedback, 100% score. I've used tracking numbers maybe 10 times... Most of my stuff is small stickers I throw in an envelope.

I haven't paid for a listing fee in years either... For some reason I ha e hundreds of free listing, every month I seem.to get more. I only pay the final transaction fees.

I don't sell much, just decals friends designed. But now I'm curious whether my fees are higher, or Will be higher once my freebies stop coming in. Hopefully it's a usa thing and canada is different... Over here it'd cost an extra $8-10 just to track something. Shipping in Canada is exhorbant.

If you provide tracking and it moves within the specified time frame, then you automatically get 5 stars on "shipping time".

equippaint

It changes your seller rating i.e. above average, top rated, power seller. Anyone that would care to try and manipulate reviews would typically care about this just as much. Afaik, you get lower final value fees depending on your tier.

ikarasu

Ah. Interesting. I just noticed my rating is "above average" and I have two late shipments.... Everything's done and shipped within two days... So I'm going to presume it's the not using tracking thing.

Ebays going downhill anyways... They now do promoted listing like etsy. Any of my decal auctions want an extra 7%-10% of the sale in order to be put with the rest of the promoted listings since everyone does it... So 7% to be promoted.... 9% fee for the sale... Then PayPal claws back 30 cents plus 3%. Close to 20% in fees to sell and collect on eBay now...

Good to know about tracking though, thanks!

fresh

so another thought for the future. If you ever accept a job like this again, make sure you charge them 2.5x the cost of the graphics. That way, if there is a mistake, you're able to not lose everything if something goes wrong.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
so another thought for the future. If you ever accept a job like this again, make sure you charge them 2.5x the cost of the graphics. That way, if there is a mistake, you're able to not lose everything if something goes wrong.

So, in this case, you're suggesting he charge $425. just to instal ?? So, $425. + $170 = all but $600. Sound fair ??

With that angle, if you don't know how to do something or are unsure of yourself charge 2-1/2 times more than it's worth ?? When you are confident, just charge a minimum rate.............. hmmmm.... you may have something there.​

Dr. Decal

I think the product may have came from the same company as Unclebun was referring to. "Graphic-Express" was the name of the company. Any trace of a stripe kit for that car leads back to them. Thanks everyone for their responses. A lot of people wanted to insult my intelligence, and perceived lack of expertise.....so I feel further clarification is needed.

Gino ,aka Gordon Ramsey of Signs101, if I was running a business I would absolutely agree with everything you said. If a burger tasted terrible from an established restaurant, they deserve the "Ramsey Response" due to lack of professionalism. However, if someone's brother's wife's nephew works at Wendy's, and you ask him to make you a burger, at home, with some meat you bought in an alley, and that hamburger tastes like vomit...Why should the Wendy's employee buy you more meat?

Honestly, I knew it wasn't good vinyl when I started....it's never good vinyl. I did think I could get it on the car, but you get what you pay for. If you want good vinyl and an install with warranties and guarantees....you visit me at work between 8-6 Monday through Friday and pay much more than $50. I would never recommend installing anything on a classic car from a mysterious website with no specs on vinyl. I was there for beer money....I had borrowed a bay in a friends garage to do it, the dude drove an hour to get there....I let him know it was low quality material before starting, I just didn't actually say "It's not my fault if it doesn't work".

I do not own a print shop, I am an employee, I didn't have access to a ton of cast black material to trial and error recreate his (perfect) hood stripe. I've never designed a body fitting stripe kit before....I do logo work and full wraps, we're not a custom car shop. He would never pay what our company would charge to create and install that. I offered to attempt to install another one free of charge, but I wasn't going to buy him another bad vinyl graphic. He isn't angry, he just wants me to help him get this design on his car, and is very pushy, and I honestly don't know what to tell him. If this was my shop, and could waste material, and time, measuring and testing to make it then maybe, but it's not. There is nobody around that specializes in this type of work, or that has that template.

I would like to help the guy out....but I'm not gonna buy a new graphic that won't work anyway. There's no one this guy will find, more qualified than myself, that will attempt to install that for $50.

If you still think I'm skill-less idiot, and am ripping this guy off, then that's cool. I think you suck too. Just figured I would clarify on a few details.

Andy D

One thing I try is to contact the seller and explain what happened, show him pictures of the install and pictures
of your professional wraps, he knows he's selling crap & I image he would hate to have someone in the business with
pictures (does eBay allow pics in reviews?) giving him a cr@ppy review.. couldn't hurt.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I would agree with most in here, he "hired" you to install a graphic and it got botched up. I'd say its on you to replace it.

Andy D

Also, I have to agree with Dr. Decal, if you bought discounted car parts on eBay
and had your brother's-nephew-in-law try and fix your car for $50, regardless of his experience,
and it didn't fix the mechanical problem and the parts weren't returnable... would you expect
the nephew to make it right? I know I wouldn't.

He's not in business, just trying to make a few $ for his family. Now this guy who bought this crap vinyl expects him to shell out $180 when it goes south?
Dr. Decal, did you guarantee the install? If not, then Caveat emptor!
If he wanted a guarantee, he shouldn't be a cheap @ss and take it to a shop.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
One thing I try is to contact the seller and explain what happened, show him pictures of the install and pictures
of your professional wraps, he knows he's selling crap & I image he would hate to have someone in the business with
pictures (does eBay allow pics in reviews?) giving him a cr@ppy review.. couldn't hurt.

Very good idea!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think the product may have came from the same company as Unclebun was referring to. "Graphic-Express" was the name of the company. Any trace of a stripe kit for that car leads back to them. Thanks everyone for their responses. A lot of people wanted to insult my intelligence, and perceived lack of expertise.....so I feel further clarification is needed.

Gino ,aka Gordon Ramsey of Signs101, if I was running a business I would absolutely agree with everything you said. If a burger tasted terrible from an established restaurant, they deserve the "Ramsey Response" due to lack of professionalism. However, if someone's brother's wife's nephew works at Wendy's, and you ask him to make you a burger, at home, with some meat you bought in an alley, and that hamburger tastes like vomit...Why should the Wendy's employee buy you more meat?

Honestly, I knew it wasn't good vinyl when I started....it's never good vinyl. I did think I could get it on the car, but you get what you pay for. If you want good vinyl and an install with warranties and guarantees....you visit me at work between 8-6 Monday through Friday and pay much more than $50. I would never recommend installing anything on a classic car from a mysterious website with no specs on vinyl. I was there for beer money....I had borrowed a bay in a friends garage to do it, the dude drove an hour to get there....I let him know it was low quality material before starting, I just didn't actually say "It's not my fault if it doesn't work".

I do not own a print shop, I am an employee, I didn't have access to a ton of cast black material to trial and error recreate his (perfect) hood stripe. I've never designed a body fitting stripe kit before....I do logo work and full wraps, we're not a custom car shop. He would never pay what our company would charge to create and install that. I offered to attempt to install another one free of charge, but I wasn't going to buy him another bad vinyl graphic. He isn't angry, he just wants me to help him get this design on his car, and is very pushy, and I honestly don't know what to tell him. If this was my shop, and could waste material, and time, measuring and testing to make it then maybe, but it's not. There is nobody around that specializes in this type of work, or that has that template.

I would like to help the guy out....but I'm not gonna buy a new graphic that won't work anyway. There's no one this guy will find, more qualified than myself, that will attempt to install that for $50.

If you still think I'm skill-less idiot, and am ripping this guy off, then that's cool. I think you suck too. Just figured I would clarify on a few details

Let me refer to you as, Peter Griffin, of s101, in that case. You see, the difference is, you accepted a contract and were going to accept full pay, then failed, ruined his graphics and now you wanna skip out not replacing what you did wrong. All of your garbage about he said this or he did that and got this and now you think this way or whatever is all useless baggage. The facts are, he came to you, you accepted the challenge and failed him. The results are, he's out his $170 and you don't wanna make good on your end of the deal. Had you had any sense, you would've known it was a 'NO GO' from the git-go and turned him down before leading him on you were some kinda vinyl jockey..... and you're not. You misrepresented yourself.

Owning a business or not does not justify being a hack or not. You either are..... or you're not. Not only that, but now you wanna change the rules of engagements and say he's cheap, cause he wanted you to do the work. If you were worth it, you would've gotten the job done and gone the extra mile to make sure he was a happy customer. THIS is why you are not an owner, but an employee. You don't have what it takes.

No rotten hamburger stories or other silly analogies will right what you did wrong. Face the facts, don't make up fairy tales.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You almost have to give the guy his money back and tell him to go elsewhere. I nearly installed some vinyl from Russia a couple months back. I declined and I'm glad I did. Even though he said he would not hold me liable, if I had ruined it, my conscience would tell me to replace it.

I haven't been in business very long but I've noticed these car people are always trying to save a buck and are more picky than businesses. I no longer feel bad for turning these jobs down. Of course I get suckered in sometimes LOL

equippaint

Not directed at you Andy D but we get this type from time to time, the "experts" that cant possibly make a mistake. My response would be that the old retired guys buying these don't have any problems with it, maybe you should hire them.
Call a spade a spade here, guy wet installed something with a 1/4" stripe with transfer tape. We all now that wont work. That is the problem here and the only problem but everyone wants to lynch the guy that made them. Classic.