• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do over a long weekend

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the printer you have. We turn all of ours off all the time. It doesn't hurt a thing. Lately, it's not turning them off that we're worried about, but giving them a break. We're backed up to the point I'm coming and staying til about 2 or 3 am and looking to hire someone to babysit our printers at night to get the projects out on time.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Give it a good manual cleaning and a nozzle check before you leave.
I can't speak for Mutoh but I have gone 10-14 days without firing up my Roland without any issues.

OEM inks...

inkmed

Clear printer ink system and conver the printer avoid the dust.
They are the most important.

Adam

TheSnowman

I've gone 10 days before I think. It wasn't real pretty when I got back...but I just cleaned it as best I could before leaving, and as good as I could when I got back. I'm not sure what else you can do unless you can teach someone who is willing to come do it for you.

My Mimaki Tech that installed everything for me said "Have your paper boy do it" when he was telling me how important daily cleanings were and I mentioned being gone.

imagep

I don't understand. Are you supposed to do something special? At first I thought the question was a joke.

We have had ours for two years, but I guess we have never gone longer than a couple of days without using it. I never considered that it would be an issue at all. Typically when I have gone on vacation, I still have employees running the shop, now with our much smaller crew I guess that might be an issue (if we ever take a vacation again).

Has anyone here had any problems with their Mutoh?

SlightlyChilled

I dont have it yet I hope this weekend a Prism-jet extra. I know some one that had a shop then had to close. They cleaned it and stored it its been there for 2 years I think. There are going to let me mess around with it.

Compilla

Ohhh....

On the Falcon Outdoors;

If you are gone for a weekend, then just turn it off.

If you are gone for vacation for more than 8 days, then do a head wash.

imagep

I've gone 10 days before I think. It wasn't real pretty when I got back...but I just cleaned it as best I could before leaving, and as good as I could when I got back. I'm not sure what else you can do unless you can teach someone who is willing to come do it for you.

My Mimaki Tech that installed everything for me said "Have your paper boy do it" when he was telling me how important daily cleanings were and I mentioned being gone.

Daily cleaning? Seriously, am I missing something? I just turn mine on, print some stuff and turn it back off. I have never even considered any type of daily (or weekly or annually) cleaning regement.

We we first bought our Mutoh it was recommended to us to purchase a cleaning cartrige, so I did (actually I bought 4). Two years later, I have never even taken it out of the pack. Never had a reason to use one.

Just how frequently do the modern eco-solvent machines have issues? Are we sure that this is an issue at all?

When I bought a screen printing company (that became our screen printing department) I called the salesman that the former owner purchased supplies from, the guy insisted that we needed to be ordering 6 cartons of spray glue and six cartons of screen opener and two gallons of degreaser, bla bla bla. Now after some screen printing experiance I know better. We don't need all that crap, never needed it, and honestly shouldn't have been using it. But the old owner had been lead to believe (by salespeople who he assumed to be expert screen printers) that you absolutely have to dump chemicals all over everything. He never learned otherwise because he simply accepted the word of the salespeople and never tried using less chemicals or alternative chemicals, or reclaiming screens without degreaser.

Is it possible that some of you guys are concerned about something that is not an issue at all?

SlightlyChilled

I just hope the this thing fires back up. I don't mind a little work. I would think the o-rings and stiff like that might be bad guess we will find out this weekend....

J Hill Designs

Only when the printer will be sitting for like 2+ weeks, I assume...you use them to flush all ink out of the lines, replacing it with cleaning fluid - waste of ink for daily/weekly maintenance, but there is a need...

TheSnowman

All I know is that when I don't clean it...the heads get some pretty nasty build up under them. I clean the wiper, and the station where the heads sit, then I clean around the four color nozzles on the head. I probably do it twice a week. Here is what they stuck on my printer direct from Advantage. They've seen it all, good and bad...so I'm thinking there is a reason they advise it.

Attachments

• custody.jpg
    custody.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 80

Sticky Signs

I figure my printer works pretty hard so I like to take it along on vacation with me. This weekend - snowboarding in Whistler. Next weekend - a much needed golf getaway in Hawaii... Sometimes we just lie around on the couch all weekend.