• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do? Hand drawn sketch to custom clipart

GoodPeopleFlags

This really good customer sent us this image and an email that says this:

"We had a safety slogan competition and we would like to create a sticker out of the winning sticker. The winning phrase is “ Take safety home, it’s the holidays”. We would like to create a sticker that displays a father figure on a step ladder leaning over to put the star on the top of a Christmas tree. We would like for the son to be holding the ladder to prevent the ladder from tipping over. I will attach a sketch for reference. Please create your own professional color version in a smaller scale."

He knows the sketch he sent isn't good so I'm not bashing that. I can't draw; seriously, mine would look about like his sketch. What to do? I doubt they would be willing to pay $100s, which is what I'm thinking it would cost to pay someone to create it. What do you think?

Attachments

• TurnerSticker.jpg
    TurnerSticker.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 104

Marlene

if worse comes to worse and they can't afford much, you can combine some clipart to make the image. all you need is a guy on a ladder, shouldn't be too hard, a kid and a Christmas tree. it will at least give you base to tweek out. if they can afford, so go with John as it will be fantastic looking!

Billct2

I agrre , I would prefer to use John or another talented merchant...but I'm sure there are some stock clipart images that would work fine.

GoodPeopleFlags

I've sent John a message and waiting to hear back. We talked around here about combining clipart but it can be daunting trying to find the right images, in the same style that fit well together. I was trying to avoid that but may have to give it a shot.

njsigns

I'm not trying to take money out of John's (or anyone's) pocket - but an illustration search on istock for "christmas tree decorating" and "christmas tree ladder" yield a few results that (I feel) could be easily manipulated to produce the desired result. I'm sure there are other images on other stock sites.

That is if your client doesn't have the budget for custom artwork.

Gene

genericname

Not to complicate things, but if safety is the main concern here, isn't leaning over the end of a ladder the last thing you should be doing? At least, if the father breaks his spine in a fall, the ladder's not going anywhere, thanks to that kid holding it in place.

GoodPeopleFlags

njsigns - Thanks for the tip! I did a search but used different terms so that's probably why I didn't get any good results. I'll try what you said.

genericname - Good point! I may mention that to him. This company is really big on pushing the safety stuff.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Basically it sounds like the customer is asking for a custom illustration.

Clip art often works okay if the customer's image request is for something basic or open to interpretation. For example, he could request "a horse" or "some happy looking people" in the layout. Clip art and stock photography can fill both needs very easily.

When the customer asks for more specific things like "three horses leaping over a car" or "some happy looking people beating up a homeless guy" then the number of choices from clip art and stock photography are going to drop down next to nothing. It forces you to come up with the art or photography yourself. The customer must be willing to pay for this. If he doesn't want to pay for what he is asking then don't do the project.

On the bright side, this project doesn't sound too demanding from the drawing aspect. Stickers can be cartoon-like and even crudely drawn. It probably wouldn't take more than a couple hours to do the following:
1. make a pencil sketch.
2. scan it; e-mail a JPEG to the customer for approval.
3. if approved, lock it on a layer in Adobe Illustrator.
4. Create clean vector line work using the brush and blob brush tools. This can go pretty fast if you have a Wacom tablet.
5. Apply fills, done. E-mail another JPEG to the customer for approval.

BTW, I got a good laugh from the customer's sketch. I immediately imagined the danger of "daddy" breaking wind in his son's face. It's just the way they're positioned in the drawing.

weaselboogie

D E A T O N

Let them know the cost of the sticker and the cost of getting the art good enough to produce onto a sticker. Also include samples of johns work so they know the quality they're getting . For some reason customers seem to think that ANY shop can crap out amazing art for next to nothing.

GoodPeopleFlags

On the bright side, this project doesn't sound too demanding from the drawing aspect. Stickers can be cartoon-like and even crudely drawn. It probably wouldn't take more than a couple hours to do the following:
1. make a pencil sketch.
2. scan it; e-mail a JPEG to the customer for approval.
3. if approved, lock it on a layer in Adobe Illustrator.
4. Create clean vector line work using the brush and blob brush tools. This can go pretty fast if you have a Wacom tablet.
5. Apply fills, done. E-mail another JPEG to the customer for approval.

BTW, I got a good laugh from the customer's sketch. I immediately imagined the danger of "daddy" breaking wind in his son's face. It's just the way they're positioned in the drawing.

You forgot #6: have drawing talent (which I do not!) :)

Love your visual! Totally gonna sneak in a poot cloud!

omgsideburns

Practice makes perfect, so it always helps to take on projects like these but if your time is important then sending it to someone who can do a good job, efficiently, is your best bet.

Deaton does great work although I've not used him, and someone else in this thread is also great at cartoons. I've begun drawing most of my own artwork. Seems to boost my creativity in all areas of my work.. although my time involved in projects has increased greatly. Luckily design is the bulk of what I do here.

Regarding billing and learning as you go... I would be uncomfortable billing someone hourly when the thing that's going to take time is the fact that I'm learning as I go, and not because it just takes that long.