• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Would You Do?

foridesign

So I am trying to start working on my own home based prints and graphics printing hobby with hopes of it growing over time. I have a GBC Titan 165 61" Laminator, a laptop with Adobe CS4 Master Collection, and a friend who owns a 42" HP Designjet 5000 PS that he uses about once or twice a month that I can use also until I make enough money to buy myself one.

The Titan has been wrapped up in storage for about two years and I'm getting the outlet installed in my garage once my home is completly built. If it has any problem I plan to have it serviced. After that I plan to work on a couple of small project to get my name out there and get my Small Business information completed.

Since you've read this what are your thoughts and what would you do different:help

Thanks,

Rob

petesign

I love these hobby posts. This should keep me entertained throughout the day. :popcorn:

Long live signs101, hackers be damned!

Make sure your garage is climate controlled. thats my $.02

speedmedia

I would sell the laminator and go work for a sign shop or a wrap shop or whatever you want to do. Either do it or don't. If you are thinking it will be a hobby then outsource everything. This isn't playing guitar either invest the money and do it right or don't do it at all.

Thanks,
Kurt

AUTO-FX

Do yourself a favor and outsource everything. Maybe later think about buying a solvent printer, after you have established some regular business. Do what you want, but this would be the smart way to go.

AUTO-FX

You could outsource the printing, and laminate it yourself.

hmmmm, I can just picture that one....in the beginning anyway

MikePro

I'd design as a hobbyist and outsource the prints and markup to my clients/friends.

Leaves you free to secure a better job along the way while still being your own designer on the side.

TheSellOut

No offense, I just have to ask because you didn't say...are you even a designer? do you know how to use any of the Adobe CS4 suite programs? Have you ever operated a large format laminator or printer?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll bite......... that printer comes with dye or U/V inks for coated media only. Okay. Are you only going to sell indoor products in full sheets or are you going to try and do contourcuts on your prints as well ?? You haven't mentioned any cutting capabilities. This is truly a hobbyist set up as you mentioned.... so you might want to reconsider your being here, since just about everywhere.... hobbyists are kinda verboten.

However, I don't see that verbiage anymore. Perhaps something has changed.

HulkSmash

You will make more money selling your equipment - and finding a sign shop to work for. And that printer is a poster printer.. please don't print wraps on it..

foridesign

What Would You Do Part:2 - Thanks

Thanks for all the replies!

Pat yes the inks we're using aren't suitable for long-term graphics.

Petesign the garage is controlled.

Jet Fast Printing I can use pvc cold or thermal lamination films for outdoor graphics.

Kurt I thought about selling the laminator but I changed my mind after thinking about the three & half years working & running a sign shop for a well own company. But after I completed a for day project job that costed a $1,500 turned $27,000 I was solded on one day I needed to do my own thing. I have wanted two years to make sure I wouldn't get sued when I get the client, I have learned how to cut their cost.

AUTO-FX outsourcing the jobs that doesn't require a same day turn around has been a thought and with so many cheat online printers out there I too thought that would be the smarter way to go along with me laminating everything myself!

Ddarlak the laminator came first because I got it as more of a going away gift/deal.

MikePro you're dead on where my thoughts have been for a while and that's why I ask you guys for your thoughts to test if I was on the right path.

HeathSignCompany.... LOL ... yes to all of your questions I work as a graphic designer/web designer/printing tech for the gov. now with two degrees, one a 2 year and a 4 degree. I have worked in the a gov. sign shop for 4 years and 3.5 years on the private side. I have been a web designer now 3 years now and I'm just trying to do my own home based thing now. I have experience on vinyl plotters, large format printers, laminators, and designing from every angle.

I try not to talk about all that due to some people get degrees and blow their head up, I have a great deal of respect for any one with skills from experience.

Well I'm headed to lunch now...I'll be back!

Last edited:

TheSellOut

Well Fori, sounds like you have all the experience you need to get going and I wish you luck when you do! I would think that you are going to need and solid exterior printer to do it right though!

One thing I will tell you that I have learned over the years is that running a business is no easy task! There is more to it than I had imagined and just be prepared to work harder than you ever have!

I can remember thinking the same thing when I worked for someone else, on how the material for that job only cost $500 and we sold it for $2500....I have got to go out and do this for myself! Now it was the best decision I have made in my career but be forewarned that there are likely more costs associated than you are thinking of.

You found a great resource here at Signs 101!

Bill Modzel

I had a curtomer stop in with a trailer that I lettered and printed graphics for in August of 06. I hadn't seen the rig since I lettered it. I printed his photos on my old HP5000 and laminated them. He was a good customer and we did this as a test job so if it went to crap early I'd replace them from my Edge printer.
Anyhow, I was surprised how well they held up. Color wise, there was not much fading. The prints had some border issues with water separating what I assume was the ink receptive coating on the vinyl.
I'm thinking if I have overlapped the edges of the print 1/2" with the laminate and also didn't install and slick over the trailer seams, it would still look pretty good.

Attachments

• foster.jpg
    foster.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 156

Pat Whatley

Kurt I thought about selling the laminator but I changed my mind after thinking about the three & half years working & running a sign shop for a well own company. But after I completed a for day project job that costed a $1,500 turned $27,000 I was solded on one day I needed to do my own thing. I have wanted two years to make sure I wouldn't get sued when I get the client, I have learned how to cut their cost.

In only three years you had advanced to running the sign shop for a well know company?! You are obviously the fastest learner on the planet, what do you need us for?

Now you've quit working in that shop and you're trying to figure out how to hack stuff together so you can go steal the gravy client from the legit shop? As a hobby? We work hard to develop markets, sell clients on products we can produce, deal with countless jobs that don't pan out long-term to find those cherry projects that provide a good, repeatable income. When some unlicensed, home-based hack comes along and tries to steal those clients it infuriates me.

You've learned how to cut their cost?! Why?! Was an 1800% markup not enough of a profit margin? Or were you saying you can cut the cost to the customer?

You do realize that people like you are a danger to every legitimate sign shop out there, don't you? I'll never understand the absolute fear people on this site show when somebody with a Cricut moves into the neighborhood and starts taking $10 jobs from them but when someone comes in trying to take $20,000 jobs from somebody they fall all over themselves to help.

petesign

^^^ That's the post I was waiting for. Next time I drive through Montgomery, I am definitely going to stop by and try to meet you :rock-n-roll:

So are you saying your Daige will impress me or are you just trying to offload a boat anchor...?

I've got the boat too! :) She's a real beauty, just a few "soft spots" in the deck. I learned that lesson about the same way I learned about budget laminators..

CheapVehicleWrap

If I was in your position I would have bought a used printer before investing in the master collection which is overkill for what you need. You could still sell it and go with design premium or corel and have almost enough to consider a used printer.