• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions When did this happen............................................. ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Placed an order for some application tape the other day and saw the invoice come through because my wife is out on medical leave, so I'm looking everything over.

When did a 48" log of tape go up to $228.00 ??

This is R-Tape. I was upset when it reached $140. I knew it has gone up, but that much ?? I'm gonna hafta add a new line item to those projects using tape. Cripes, that's absurd.

Always liked this tape, but I need some time to get used to these 21st century prices......................

De.signs Nanaimo

The US dollar is starting to lose purchasing power, other countries are doing their best to work in non US funds for large purchases to avoid sanctions etc.

It looks to me like hyper inflation could start anytime, in anything based in US Dollars. The overnight repo market, recently taken over by the Federal Reserve, used to be maybe 7 billion a day, today it's at a fairly consistent 1.6 trillion a day, this is short term like 24 hour loans lent to banks just to stay liquid overnight. Also it's time to find out why the US gold reserves have not been audited since 1953, maybe the vaults are empty?

gabagoo

Last week I needed a roll of banner tape that I used to pay $19.00 for 1" 36 yards, Now $29.00 52% increase

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't you guys figure in the most current price when quoting? For me, I'll reach out to the aluminum guy to sell one sheet, even if that sheet is 6 months old, because I know anybody else trying to get that one sheet is going to pay through the nose, and I don't want to leave cash on the table.
Yes, but not constantly on every little item. My first 48" log cost me $68. Granted, that was the late 80's and I know things go up all the time. However, it generally goes up a little at a time. Last I checked, it was I think, $146 or so. So over about 30 years, it seems to go up on an average of $4 a year. But in the last year it went up about $80some dollars ?? Was that caused by covid....... weak work force, weak delivery service, or greedy people taking advantage of a situation ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes, but not constantly on every little item. My first 48" log cost me $68. Granted, that was the late 80's and I know things go up all the time. However, it generally goes up a little at a time. Last I checked, it was I think, $146 or so. So over about 30 years, it seems to go up on an average of $4 a year. But in the last year it went up about $80some dollars ?? Was that caused by covid....... weak work force, weak delivery service, or greedy people taking advantage of a situation ??
Greed has met opportunity. We have some paints that have gone up 50% from the major players but the smaller brands have only gone up 5% or so. They all use the same raw materials. Why have oracal's and 3m's prices gone way up but brands like substance have not went up at all? Same deal with raw materials there too. I ordered a roll of 30" 651 the other day and its closing in on $200

binki

We placed 2 orders for coro 30 days apart and shipping went up 25% in just those 30 days. That was October/November. All of our vendors have raised prices anywhere from 3% to 25%

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Just in (literally just showed up in my inbox)
From Orbis
Dear Valued Orbus Customer,

We continuously strive to improve efficiencies, diversify our supply chain and absorb as much cost increase as possible. Due to increased costs, in some cases greater than 25%, for materials, transportation and labor, we must work together as partners to realize these new costs.

Effective today, Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022, Orbus will implement a 9% price increase on all purchased and rented hardware. Hardware is inclusive of standard and custom display bases, frames, counters, kiosks cases, crates and lights. Also, a 15% increase is in effect on all SignPro Systems Wayfinding frames, (Curved and Flat).

All graphic cost increases will be absorbed by Orbus.

Outstanding standard catalog quotes will be honored through Feb. 14.

Outstanding custom quotes will be honored through Feb. 28.

2B

EVERYTHING is being affected.
some understand and are willing to work with you, some get irate and accuse you of being money hungry / greedy

One of our vendors had a 64.7% increase on Jan 1

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes.

I really haven't run into any customers throwing fits about my pricing lately, in fact they are swallowing it with a lot less fuss, though I've found a couple of jobs lately that I've missed out on due to pricing high (which is likely to come back and bite my competitors in the rear, since they likely didn't get fresh quotes)
Then there's one of the local hospitals that's in bed with the other sign guys, they won't even let me quote anything, very suspicious...
you don't want to be in a hospital bed with anyone.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
At this point I am looking for new vendors, not so much because of price, but just to be able to find and get what I need when I need it. I had been running lower inventory level since the pandemic, now I am stocking 4-6 rolls of everything I use except for caste at 2 rolls(I don't use too much of it).

netsol

Gino
if the question is when did things start getting expensive, 1979 sticks in my mind...

wait till next year, when fuel prices (used to transport EVERYTHING) are another dollar higher.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, in 1976, I bought a brand new dodge 318 van with lotsa chrome, idiot lights, automatic and all kindsa other neat things. Before negotiating, it listed for $4,600 something. Got it down to around $4,200. Had that truck til around 1998 and it ran excellent. So, cost of gas was only around 50 some cents a gallon. In 1969, a dollar would get ya over 3 gallons of gas for cruising. My buddy had a '67 or '68 goat and we could only go a few miles on a gallon.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
We're currently $7.66 per gallon for diesel, $7.35 for unleaded here in the UK. We've had 5-15% per quarter rises on printing materials for the last nearly three years. And over the last couple of years we've been seeing additional rises on the same materials your being hit with.
Very different flavour of government over the last decade here, to your current one, but we're seeing the same sorts of increases.
We had over 200 applicants for a working wage basic position.

Johnny Best

Gino, what about those frames that had the clear vinyl that picked up the cut vinyl and you did not need transfer paper. Maybe those will come back. Have not seen them advertised in awhile, do not even know if they still make them.