• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When the unexpected happens

Bigdawg

Just Me
This is my public service announcement for the day. My husband's mom passed away earlier this month... quite unexpectedly. She wasn't feeling well and he flew up to take her to the doctor. They went from doc to hospital and she passed away at another hospital 10 days later.

I've never dealt with the direct, reality-based things that have to happen when someone dies before. Like locating paperwork or keys or anything else. Going through stuff. It was hard - I can't even imagine how hard it was on my husband. Hate seeing him cry, but it was a family house and it had to be done. A lot of memories there.

But she literally walked out the door expecting to be back later. We don't know if there's any insurance or anything other than what was there. She kept EVERYTHING in regards to paperwork. It is/was overwhelming and luckily her sister will be dealing with the estate. But it's things like knowing there was a safety deposit box - but have no idea where to find the key or what bank. It's buried in the paperwork.

So take a minute if you have important stuff and make a list - a folder... something easily accessible that lets those who love know what to do if something happens to you. Things like where you keep the keys... what lawyer to contact if you have one... who your life insurance is with. It's hard enough for people to deal with the emotional end of a death... make it easy for them to do what they need to for daily life.

Marlene

sorry to hear about Jeff's mom passing.

you are so right about having things set up just in case. when my mom and dad passed away, I was lucky in that my mom was very organized and had everthing I would need to know including their funeral wishes all in one place.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear about your Mother-in-Law in this fashion. Please share our thoughts and prayers for Jeff.

There was another thread recently about something similar to this and this proves the fact that until faced with a situation this close to you..... how it affects your inner-self and some of the things you will be doing without even knowing you are doing them. You sometimes literally feel like a Zombie.... you're just doing things without realizing it and then you come out of your daze and something else gets triggered. Yuck-O

This is a very important bunch of facts you're setting up for others to do, including ourselves for our children or for whomever we leave behind.

Most of our important stuff is all written down and inside a security box in the bank. We both have a key and we also have all the instructions written down in our will and with our attorney. It's never too early to plan this stuff so your loved ones don't have any extra problems.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Thanks, Stacy... I know what you're talking about. When my dad died, he had all his ducks in a row -- no questions, no mysteries. I was very grateful for his foresight.

BobM

Sorry for your loss Stacy. I have been working on my fathers paperwork for a couple of months. We celebrated his 99th birthday last month and fortunitly he is still able to help me figure things out.

threeputt

Good post. Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I have done this very thing. (create an easy to understand, all in one place folder for this eventuality)

One more thing I might suggest is a "do not open, destroy" box with any memorandums, photos, personal stuff that you don't want your kids to get into.

W

www.esigns.com

Hang in there Stacy, you've had more than your fair share of challenges lately. My condolences to you and your family.

Suz

Stacy, thanks for sharing. So sorry that you lost someone special in your life. Sending good thoughts your way!

SignosaurusRex

I'm sorry for your loss Stacy. Know that my heartfelt thoughts are with you.
Unfortunately many of us are reaching an age where we are finding ourselves in your shoes on what seems to be a regular basis whether it be a close friend or loved one.
One of the situations that never gets easier each time one must go through it. It's especially hardest when they seem fine and next day.....WTF?