• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When "your" customers get signage elsewhere

gnubler

This has happened to me a few times recently. I get that some customers are one hit wonders, one order and you never see them again - I don't stress about it.
But I have a few customers that I've done a lot of work for, and it makes me wonder when I see new signage that wasn't done by me.
Do you think it always comes down to money? My insecurities make me think I did something wrong. I try to put myself in their shoes, though personally I'm a loyal customer to businesses I support and it takes quite a bit to piss me off and go elsewhere.

Yesterday saw a new banner at a business I've done all the signage for. Just a couple weeks ago I stopped in and they were asking about making a new exterior sign, so I emailed them ideas for starters. Now there's a dinky banner outside, installed right next to another banner I did make. Looks tacky. Wonder why they didn't have me quote it? I don't care enough about this customer to just flat out ask them. Good riddance.

Another one was designing & installing graphics on two trucks & a trailer last year. Customer seemed pleased and ordered a few items after that. Recently I noticed a new truck of theirs, same design but not one I did. Again, wondering why I didn't get to bid on it. Lo & behold, I heard from them last week wanting a quote to rebrand the entire fleet. Apparently the new sign shop did something wrong so they're shopping around again. The place they ended up going to is over 50 miles away. Why go through all that aggravation? I can't believe there would be any cost savings there. Or am I blind to what might be a 'red flag' customer and the problem is them, not me? I'm going to ask this one why they strayed. I'm not afraid of criticism and hope to get an honest answer.

Billct2

So many reasons this happens. Sometimes its them thinking you're charging too much so they shop around and of course get a better price. If the new company falls short maybe they come back or maybe they don't because they're embarrassed to. Other times a new hire wants to make a mark by switching to a new "improved" vendor. Or they got called on by a good salesperson who convinces them to switch. For the cheap stuff like banners its so easy for them to shop on line and get the same or cheaper price, but of course the design usually sucks but they would never admit it.
All we can do is our best work for a fair price and that will result in repeats and referrals. But no customer is forever.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think this happens to everyone. Sometimes it's price, sometimes they "know someone" or they get suckered in by a relative or friend. Maybe they didn't know how good they had it until the next guy is hard to work with etc.

I have one customer, they have several employees, continue to add on and although I have done probably 6 of their vehicles, she will always ask me for an EXACT estimate and I saw she went somewhere else once then back to me for the next one. Then she brings in 12 shirts for me to put a logo on and she calls and says she needs a price - so I should put the order on hold. $6.50 was too high so she told me to only do 3/12 of them and she will go to her "other guy" for the rest. I'm higher than her other guy but every time she uses him she comes back to me because she isn't happy. Well, next time she can go fly a kite and do them on her Cricket like she used to do.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Don't be afraid of straight up asking "If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you went with someone else for this project?".

I've experienced what your feeling and it does suck. There are times where they simply didn't know you could do that type of work, or when someone else in the company has "a guy" that they want to use.

All you can do is make sure all your customers are aware of everything you can do, and that you're front of mind when it comes down to purchasing. (Something we're really bad at, I must admit)

The other scenario is that they're just not loyal and are cheap, and you don't want those clients anyways.

Last but not least, maybe there was something they weren't happy with, and by asking you can find out how to improve.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I ask, if you're making a mistake you need to know. If you didn't, then you can hope it makes them feel bad. I have thick skin but having that happen is always a big kick in the balls, it can really screw with your head.
One thing that helps is to always remember that everyone is an asshole. Everyone. If they come back, raise the price because they are assholes.

Notarealsignguy

I think this happens to everyone. Sometimes it's price, sometimes they "know someone" or they get suckered in by a relative or friend. Maybe they didn't know how good they had it until the next guy is hard to work with etc.

I have one customer, they have several employees, continue to add on and although I have done probably 6 of their vehicles, she will always ask me for an EXACT estimate and I saw she went somewhere else once then back to me for the next one. Then she brings in 12 shirts for me to put a logo on and she calls and says she needs a price - so I should put the order on hold. $6.50 was too high so she told me to only do 3/12 of them and she will go to her "other guy" for the rest. I'm higher than her other guy but every time she uses him she comes back to me because she isn't happy. Well, next time she can go fly a kite and do them on her Cricket like she used to do.
The new guy that comes in and switches to "his guy" pisses me off. I wouldn't let a new employee come in and dump long standing good vendors without a real convincing argument.

gnubler

I saw she went somewhere else once then back to me for the next one. Then she brings in 12 shirts for me to put a logo on and she calls and says she needs a price - so I should put the order on hold. $6.50 was too high so she told me to only do 3/12 of them and she will go to her "other guy" for the rest.
This wastes so much time! As a business owner now I would never screw around with nonsense like this, and I say this as a frugalton.

gnubler

Another one that annoyed me was a new customer who was referred to me for logo design. Starting a new business, loved the design I came up with and mentioned she'd be needing some signs & stickers, so I said I do all that and could get her some pricing when she was ready. A few weeks pass and she emails asking for a high-resolution logo file...I scroll down and see correspondence from signs.com or some online vendor who flagged her order. I was insulted and almost told her to pound sand, but I just let it go. I could understand if I was outbid by a competitor, but she never even asked for any price quotes. Lame.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, it all boils down to how busy ya are. If you have work coming out the whazoo, it shouldn't bother ya, cause ya win some, ya lose some. If you start losing more than one every coupla months, then, most likely, you're doing something wrong. Sometimes personnel changes, sometimes personalities clash, sometimes workmanship, but usually it's the bottom dollar.

ProSignTN

Weed these people out. As several of you have said: Ask. With all the technology, logistics, accounting and so forth that we small businesses deal with most I fell safe to assume most of us haven't read Dale Carnegie, Zig Zigler or Brian Tracy. We must learn to sell. Good salespeople know everything they can learn about their clients, from business to personal: their weekend hobbies, their kids sports teams, yada yada. If a client waffles or jerks you around either sell them or move on from them. Do not waste your time just because they don't value your time. Spend your time learning to sell.

somcalmetim

Yep, someone along the line is cheap, new or thinks they are smart because they can buy shi..er..inexpensive banners online...just keep moving on and don't give it another thought if you know you did quality work...if they are good but misguided customers you will likely get to hear the story later when they come back complaining of poor quality and how Ron the new guy bought a crappy little banner from wish.com

unmateria

We ask everybody... Always is money or they didnt know what we do. We see very obvious that if we can wrap a car, we can do stickers... But customers dont know every detail or posibilities of a so complex business. Sometimes even some workers...

tulsagraphics

We ask everybody... Always is money or they didnt know what we do. We see very obvious that if we can wrap a car, we can do stickers... But customers dont know every detail or posibilities of a so complex business. Sometimes even some workers...
Yep, this. I have the same customers who have ordered from me for 15+ years that still ask me if I make banners, or magnets or whatever... even when they've ordered them from me dozens of times in the past. For example, some have told me they just Googled for "magnets" (even to buy locally) instead of calling their regular sign shop (me) to ask about them -- just because it's less hassle (???).

CanuckSigns

I have some staff members that don't know everything we do,so I can't expect a customer to. As for the clients ordering from places like vistaprint or similar, most likley they remembered in the evening that they needed stickers for something and it's just as easy to order them from Vista than to email you, get a quote, place the order, arrange payment etc. These online places might not put out the best work, but they sure do make it was to order from!

djerolymack

I am busy, but it still bothers me. Insecure and all. Being in a small town bad news travels fast and I want to maintain the best reputation I can.

And yes, they're probably just assholes, as someone else mentioned.
Try using a reputation builder. This way your customers can leave feedback to a survey rather than to a specific person. It let's them feel heard without the awkwardness of telling someone to their face. Then you can find out some information about how a customer felt that you wouldn't have heard otherwise. We use https://loyaltyloop.com/. Perks are we gain Google Reviews! :)

netsol

The new guy that comes in and switches to "his guy" pisses me off. I wouldn't let a new employee come in and dump long standing good vendors without a real convincing argument.

I have some staff members that don't know everything we do,so I can't expect a customer to. As for the clients ordering from places like vistaprint or similar, most likley they remembered in the evening that they needed stickers for something and it's just as easy to order them from Vista than to email you, get a quote, place the order, arrange payment etc. These online places might not put out the best work, but they sure do make it was to order from!
about 10 years ago i redesigned our business cards for the computer consulting business trying to emphasize a niche area of the business that we wished we got more of

laura, one of my long time favorite clients started an argument with me "THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU DO!" seemingly not realizing what we do for her company is not what we do for
her larger, more profitable competitors

Notarealsignguy

about 10 years ago i redesigned our business cards for the computer consulting business trying to emphasize a niche area of the business that we wished we got more of

laura, one of my long time favorite clients started an argument with me "THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU DO!" seemingly not realizing what we do for her company is not what we do for
her larger, more profitable competitors
Did you tell her yes we do that, but not for you? Been there done that.