• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where and how many LED lights should I attach inside a box to create evenly distributed light?

nolanola

Where should the LED lights be attached within a box to create evenly distributed light? We know how to glue the box together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

nolanola

The question is how to attach them in the middle of the box. It's 38" x 38" x 57"

Should we make a smaller box out of clear acrylic inside and glue the LED's to it?

Devon19515

Get some wide angle lens LEDs and place them on the bottom center. May need to play with the quantity to get the brightness you are looking for. The frosted/white acrylic should distribute enough at that distance
to keep from seeing hot spots but you may have shadows in the corners. EDIT: you are wanting to illuminate all 6 sides? I would "suspend" a clear box in the middle to support the LEDs pointing in all directions.

SignEST

Your box in a box idea is good and it seems basic enough to bang out in an afternoon. The style of LED bulb I would use for this would be https://www.mcmaster.com/1638N335/ . That should have a 360 degree light and should be easy enough to screw into sockets. Makes electrical easy to pull off and LED power supply can be stashed inside the socket box. Just hang it from the same hole as you do your grommets. You could even use high strength fishing line that's clear to avoid any shadows being cast but you will need to run power on one of those fishing lines into the LED supply or sockets.

Not everything has to be engineered out the ass to work. Drawing not to scale but just an idea. Don't sue me.

Attachments

• easydesign.jpg
    easydesign.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

nolanola

The budget is is $2200.00
I thought 5 sheets of acrylic, RGB LED's, and a battery pack.
The client wants the remote to change the colors of LED's and it to work from batteries.

Inks

The budget is is $2200.00
I thought 5 sheets of acrylic, RGB LED's, and a battery pack.
The client wants the remote to change the colors of LED's and it to work from batteries.
Allanson has some nice RGB solutions

nolanola

The total calculated weight is close to 80lbs if we use 1/8" acrylic.
I'm thinking we should try this plastic instead.
Who knows how it's called?

Attachments

• cloud light plastic.jpg
    cloud light plastic.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 143

SignEST

The total calculated weight is close to 80lbs if we use 1/8" acrylic.
I'm thinking we should try this plastic instead.
Who knows how it's called?
Probably some type of thermoformable plastic that's translucent. ABS would be a prime suspect. Maybe styrene but it's usually quite opaque. Perhaps making a fabric face instead of a plastic one might solve your weight issue.

nolanola

Fabric sounds like a great idea.
Where I can order the tension fabric that's used in backlit light boxes?

SignEST

What materials would you recommend for this?
Backlit banner or backlit polycarbonate?

Are you doing this as a hobby or is this a real job? For a job it seems like it's taking up a lot of your time for not a lot of money. Might be one to pass along or sub out while you still can.

Polycarb is heavy and expensive unless you can get it real thin but then you still have to deal with the corners.

nolanola

It's a job.
There's the current blueprint.
I'm interested in having a project like this on our portfolio.

Screenshot_5.jpg

SignEST

It's a job.
There's the current blueprint.
I'm interested in having a project like this on our portfolio.

View attachment 153021

You could try to make the whole outer box out of clear acrylic square rod instead of aluminum. Don't need anything special to glue acrylic, just some plastic glue. I have used the weld-on brand with a lot of success but your local supplier will more than likely have their own brand of special plastic juice. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/square_acrylic_bar/150 something like that is what I mean by square acrylic rod. Should cut easier than aluminum on most saws.
There might even be acrylic square like you are using the aluminum. I found this so far
https://www.tapplastics.com/product..._tubes_shapes/clear_square_acrylic_tubing/142

I hope your project works out for you. It's always nice to see more than just sign job discussions on this forum.

nolanola

You could try to make the whole outer box out of clear acrylic square rod instead of aluminum. Don't need anything special to glue acrylic, just some plastic glue. I have used the weld-on brand with a lot of success but your local supplier will more than likely have their own brand of special plastic juice. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/square_acrylic_bar/150 something like that is what I mean by square acrylic rod. Should cut easier than aluminum on most saws.
There might even be acrylic square like you are using the aluminum. I found this so far
https://www.tapplastics.com/product..._tubes_shapes/clear_square_acrylic_tubing/142

I hope your project works out for you. It's always nice to see more than just sign job discussions on this forum.
That's a cool material! Thank you!
We cut aluminum with a chop saw. I think aluminum would be a little stronger, the client wants to be able to hang it. It will be used for photoshoots.
For the corners I want to use metal furniture protector corners. And glue everything with weld mount glue.
Will post photos when it's finished.

Thank you!